Cavalier News Flash
September 14-18, 2020
A Message From The Principal
It was a busy day on Thursday last week with Title I, Open House Pre-Visit Program, and Open House classroom visits. The Title I meeting exceeded expectations with 42 attendees; the Pre-Visit Open House Program showed at least 300 log-ins; and parents and students visited classrooms which saw live presentations from teachers who spoke about teaching beliefs, class activities, accountability, and distance learning navigation.
Thank you very much for attending. Your kindness and support in our endeavors to provide a stable learning experience for your students are truly appreciated. We are learning and working very hard with your students everyday.
In the spirit of finding better ways to communicate better through Technology, three (3) teachers at Chula Vista Middle--Ms. Stephanie Hubner (English), Ms. Tina Tom (Science), and Ms. Joanne Price (Drama & ASB)--will be piloting ZOOM with their classes. Their students will still log onto meets in all their other classes except for these three teachers. Students will be taught and given all information regarding this pilot in their particular classes.
This Friday, September 18, parents and students will be able to access their first progress report grades through Infinite Campus. The progress report grades can be maintained or improved on. If students are doing well, with grades of "C" or better, there is much celebration and congratulations. Those who struggle need to reflect on how they can manage their time to complete work, or use Office Hours time to seek one on one help with their teachers, or seek technical and academic help in our After School Program through Club TC. Teachers understand, in these extraordinary circumstances, that there are issues beyond a student's control, such as lack of connectivity or having no device, which have prevented students from being able to engage fully in their classes, complete all the work, or turn in work. In these cases, teachers have given a "NM" grade to these students affected by these issues.
I am hoping that we will be able to distribute iPads for all our students in the next two weeks--a big shipment of computers came that will be distributed to high school students. As a result, iPads used by 9th graders will be turned back in to the district and we will be able to distribute iPads as soon as they are disinfected and processed. I have also published information in this bulletin on how to avail of hotspots or special Internet rates for families who qualify.
Please read the rest of the bulletin for more information about school events and services.
Have a great week!
Mary Rose Peralta
Pre-Visit Open House Program: Enjoy!
Title I Meeting Summary and Call To Action
There were 42 participants in the Title I meeting. Important information shared by Ms. Peralta in the meeting include:
- Chula Vista Middle receives Title I funding to improve the academic achievement of our academically at-risk and/or disadvantaged students.
- CVM's Title I eligibility for funding is a result of the number of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch. At 79.9%, our school is a Title I schoolwide school. It is very important to return the lunch application since this money supplements our materials and supports our staff and parent development.
- The Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) is the plan that created with the input of parents, students, and staff on how to utilize Title I funding.
- The School Site Council (SSC) reviews and approves this plan.
- The SSC is comprised of 3 parents, 4 teachers, 3 students, 1 classified employee, and the principal. This group meets monthly once it is completely formed.
- The SSC also selects CVM's representative to the District Parent Advisory Council (DPAC).
- Parents vote for parent representatives. Parent representatives serve one-two (1-2) years depending on what grade their child is.
- CVM has one (1) parent, Ms. Sharyn Kang, who is continuing her service as a parent representative.
- CVM needs two (2) parent representatives this year.
- Here is the link if you want to nominate yourself or another parent: https://t.ly/zCAd
- Deadline for nominations is Monday, September 14 at 11:59 PM.
- Elections will be held online for all candidates/nominees starting on Wednesday, September 16.
Again, here is the link to nominate yourself or another parent to serve on the School Site council: https://t.ly/zCAd
Ms. Peralta looks forward to working with the School Site Council in studying, funding, and helping with implementing our student achievement plan.
English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC Meeting)
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 5-6:30pm
This is an online event.
Principal Peralta and Dr. Ivette Sanchez, EL Advocate & EL Student Monitor Resource, are inviting parents and guardians of students designated as English Learners to a scheduled Zoom meeting to:
- Learn about the history and purpose of ELAC
- know how students are identified as English Learners
- Learn how English Learners are supported at school
- Learn how to access student progress report grades through Infinite Campus
- Elect officers for this committee
- Elect the parent representative to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
- Decide on monthly or quarterly meetings
- Give input on what parents want to learn during ELAC meetings
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 799 1885 7465
First Grading Period: September 18, 2020
- Access the Campus Portal. Below is the link: https://campusportal.sweetwaterschools.org/campus/portal/sweetwater.jsp
- Parents will need to use their parent portal login in order view their student's schedules. Your login credentials are the same username and password you used to complete the Online Registration Application and/or Meal Application.
- Parents will click the Campus Parent option.
- Students login credentials as follows:
Username: 7-digit student ID
Password: the same exact password you use to log into your sweetwaterschools.net email account.
- Students will click the Campus Student option.
- Go to the Drop Down Menu on the top left (appears as three lines) and click on it. The Drop Down Menu will appear.
- Click on "Grades".
Though I published the correct schedule in the E-mails and bulletins I sent to teachers, parents, and staff for September 11, I gave the wrong bell schedule to our Application Support so the incorrect schedule was published to Infinite Campus last Friday. Students who followed the Infinite Campus bell schedule were misdirected and as a result, were unable to log on at the correct time. My apologies for this error.
If your student was marked absent and they were trying to log in to their classes, please click on the link below to correct their attendance, fill out the form and then click on submit.
Breakfast and Lunch Distribution Update: No more Barcodes!!
Starting September 15th through December 31st we will return to FREE meal service for anyone in the community 2-18 years old.
**Student barcodes will no longer be required. Each individual will receive a bag containing breakfast, lunch, and fruit (regardless of income eligibility). For the time being, all schools will continue to serve meals on Tuesdays from 11 am – 1 pm (while supplies last). **
If you have not done so yet, please fill out a meal application. Even though everyone will receive meals for free, turning in an application will help your school obtain funding.
Need Help With Registration, Paperwork, or Enrollment?
You can also call (619) 498-6800. We strive to answer every call; but if you reach our voicemail, please leave a message with your name, your student's name, the purpose of your call, the best phone number to reach you, and the best time to call, and one of our staff will call you back--Promise.
GOOD NEWS! The district has received a big shipment of computers. This means that as soon as the computers are processed, they can be distributed to all high school students. What this means for our middle school students is iPads used by 9th graders will be returned to the district. As soon as the iPads are processed and we receive them, we will arrange for distribution to our students.
We have a complete list of students who do not have iPads. There is no need to call us if your child needs one.
However, please call us if you DO NOT need an iPad because your child has his/her own device.
Thank you for your assistance, understanding, and consideration.
Need Access to The Internet at Home? / ¿Necesita acceso a Internet en casa?
- To apply for a free hotspot (you must meet certain qualifications) please click on this link: Internet Access at Home Application
- Attached below is information (in English and Spanish) on Cox's Connect2Compete program for two months of free Internet access:
Help! My iPad is Not Working!
Now That I Have an iPad... / Ahora que tengo un iPad ...
- Eng. 2020-21 iPad Configuration and Password Reset
- Spanish 2020-21 iPad Configuration and Password Reset
- Google Meet for iPad (Directions for Installing)
- Google Classroom for iPad (Directions for Installing)
- G-Suite for Education (link to application)
- Infinite Campus
- Jupiter Grades
Attached below are versions in Spanish:
Join Club TC: After School Program
Club TC is our After School Program. During distance learning, Club TC is OPEN to all students. CVM students will NOT need to fill out enrollment forms to participate in Virtual Club TC. Students will just need to log onto Google Classroom and "Add" the Club TC Virtual Classroom. The Virtual Club TC will be open before school and after school each day. We will offer a variety of activities each day to keep students engaged and participating in our program with our amazing staff.
Virtual Club TC Google Classroom Code: k7qvuas
Schedule: Monday - Friday
Times: 7:00am - 8:20am & 2:30- 5:30pm
Once our students put in the code for our Virtual Club TC Classroom in Google Classroom, they will be able to check out our Virtual Club TC office and program rooms. This is where the staff will meet the students daily for their activities. We encourage ALL students to join the classroom and explore all of the fun activities we have planned for students daily.
Thank you to all those who are participating! So far we have Cheer, Virtual Sports, Power Team, Game Room, Cooking, and DJ'ing. Again, all CVM students are welcome to join Club TC!
Parents and Guardians, Your Support Inspires Us! Thank you!
Students, Your Hard Work Pushes Us To Persist! Thank you!
Show Cavalier Pride! Have A Great Week of Learning!
We Are Cavaliers!/ ¡Somos Cavaliers!
The mission of Chula Vista Middle School, the academic and artistic center of its community, is to ensure each student will fulfill his or her potential for success through a system of learning distinguished by:
- A rigorous academic learning environment,
- A comprehensive curriculum in the arts,
- A creative, innovative, imaginative and diverse culture,
- A technology-rich environment,
- A celebration of individual and school-wide achievement,
- A culture of school pride and personal responsibility,
- A variety of academic and social support programs and interventions,
- A network of collaboration that build bridges with family, community and educational partners.