January 23-27, 2023
SHELBY JUNIOR HIGH
Mr. Dahl - Assistant Principal
Dates to Know
Jan 23 - Last day to order a personalized yearbook
Jan 25 - Static 3-4:15 pm - Drama Room
Jan 26 - NJHS Bagel Day
Jan 27 - Deadline to submit applications to Specialty Programs
Future Dates of Note:
Feb 8 - 10th Grade Scheduling for Ike/Utica 2023-24
Feb 20-24 - Mid-Winter Break - No School
March 2 - Utica/Ike Lacrosse Registration Meeting 6:45p - Utica HS Cafeteria
March 7-9 UCS District Art Show, Sterling Heights Community Center 10a-8p
April 3-7 - Spring Break - No School
May 29 - Memorial Day - No School
June 7-9 - Exams - ALL 1/2 DAYS
UCS Specialty Programs
Applications for all secondary specialty programs and the UCS Virtual Academy will be available online at UticaK12.org/Specialty beginning January 20th, 2023, at 4:00 p.m.
The deadline to submit applications is January 27th, 2023, at 4:00 p.m.
*Students are only permitted to apply to two programs.
Freshman Farewell Coming Soon!
What is the Freshman Farewell?. It is a formal dance to say goodbye to our freshman. The freshman farewell takes place on a Friday night in the spring and Student council works very hard to put on the event.
Is it formal? YES! It is like a prom or homecoming at the high schools. Students get to dress up and pictures are taken.
What do we do there? We eat, dance and announce our mock election winners. You won’t want to miss it.
When do we purchase tickets? Tickets will be on sale a few weeks before the event. Listen to the announcements in the Spring for more information.
Freshman Farewell Guidelines
· Students who receive disciplinary referrals between May 1st and the day of the dance will not be allowed to attend the dance. The price of the ticket will not be refunded if a student has already purchased one.
· Students must have passed at least 4 classes Semester 1 (final grade) to purchase a ticket to the dance.
· Students on Credit Review for attendance at the time tickets are sold may not purchase a ticket to the dance.
· Students on the Citizenship List 3 or more times in 9th grade may not purchase a ticket to the dance.
· Students attending the dance must enter the dance no later than 6:15 p.m. and must stay for the duration of the dance. Any student who arrives after 6:15 p.m. will not be permitted into the dance.
· Students must be picked up by a parent at 9:00 p.m. There will be no school staff on site after 9:15 p.m., so please plan to be at Shelby Gardens when students are released from the dance at 9:00 p.m.
· No limousines are allowed to drop off/pick up students from the dance unless a parent chaperone is present.
The student council advisors and administration reserve the right to deny entry to any student who violates the UCS Dress Code. No refund will be given.
· Per district policy, students must be present for at least a half day of classes the day of the dance to attend the event.
· Students will be asked to leave the dance if they are in violation of any UCS policy. A parent will be called to pick up their child and the student will face disciplinary actions.
The process for accessing report cards in PowerSchool has changed for families. Below are some helpful links.
- How to make a PowerSchool parent portal account
- Click through tutorial: https://ior.ad/8OJY
- Video tutorial: https://youtu.be/vLgq4YtjTxM
- How to download report cards
- Click through tutorial: https://ior.ad/8PRj
- How to download NWEA reports
- Click through tutorial: https://ior.ad/8BQs
- How to reset a PowerSchool password
- Click through tutorial: https://ior.ad/8OUf
Reporting Your Child's Absence
How to Report an Absence
When a student is going to be absent, parents/guardians should report the absence before the school day begins. Calls to the attendance line can be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Shelby Attendance Line is 586-797-3799. Absences will be input to PowerSchool by 4:00 pm on the date of the absence.
Per UCS policy, the following reasons for an absence will be accepted as an excused absence; student illness, hospitalization, doctor ordered bed rest, mandatory court appearance that has been pre-arranged, death in the immediate family, family vacation that has been pre-arranged and approved, medical appointments and administrative permission. All other absences will be unexcused.
Pre-approved absence forms can be obtained in the counseling office, the main office or in Schoology.
9th graders sports update!!!
1/23/23: 7th & 8th Grade G-BB: Shelby @ Davis – 4/5:30 pm
1/23/23: 7th & 8th Grade B-BB: Davis @ Shelby – 4/5:30 pm
Utica and Ike are Digital!
Utica and Eisenhower is using digital ticketing. The link families can use to purchase tickets is https://gofan.co/app/school/MI10109. You can also Click here for a QR code you can scan to purchase tickets
Please remember that all elementary and junior high students must be with a parent to enter sporting events.
Lacrosse Information and Registration
ATTENTION 9TH GRADE BOYS GOING TO UTICA or IKE:
UTICA-IKE 2023 BOYS LACROSSE IS GETTING READY FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON.
Winter Conditioning has begun and is every Tuesday and Thursday 7-8pm at Utica HS weight room and Axillary Gym. Bring tennis shoes and water bottles. No sticks or equipment needed. Enter through door #11.
THERE WILL BE A MANDATORY PARENT & PLAYER REGISTATION/UPDATE MEETING!! Thursday March 2nd - 6:45p at Utica HS cafeteria. Enter through Door #5. This will be the last parent meeting before tryouts.
This meeting is for any player and parent(s) interested in lacrosse that attend Utica High School or Eisenhower High School and 9th grade graders that are eligible to play for those schools. No player experience needed but very helpful. The team will be united again for the 2023 season. We will discuss the upcoming season, meet the coach, update on conditioning programs, equipment, cost to play and athletic requirements, meet the current board, important dates and Q&A.
To join the TeamSnap or have any questions, email email@example.com or check out the Utica Eisenhower Boys Lacrosse Facebook page for info.
TRYOUTS WILL BEGIN MARCH 13TH THRU 16TH!!!
1/24/23: Fr/JV/V B-BB: Ike @ Romeo – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/24/23: JV/V Wrestling: Woods Tower @ Ike – 5 pm
1/24/23: Boys V Swim/Dive: Ike @ Marine City – 6 pm
1/25/23: JV/V G-BB: Grosse Pte S @ Ike – 4/5:30 pm
1/26/23: Fr/JV/V B-BB: Pt Huron N @ Ike – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/26/23: Boys V Swim/Dive: De La Salle @ Ike – 6 pm
1/27/23: Fr/JV/V G-BB: Dakota @ Ike – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/28/23: JV/V Wrestling: Ike @ Livonia Churchill Trnt – 9 am
1/23/23: Fr G-BB: Cousino @ Utica – 4 pm
1/23/23: JV/V G-BB: Grosse Pte S @ Utica – 5:30/7 pm
1/24/23: Fr/JV/V B-BB: Utica @ Fraser – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/24/23: Boys V Swim/Dive: L’Anse Creuse @ Utica – 6 pm
1/25/23: Fr/JV/V G-BB: Utica @ Ford II – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/26/23: JV/V Wrestling: Fraser @ Utica – 5 pm
1/26/23: Boys V Swim/Dive: Utica @ L’Anse Creuse N – 6 pm
1/27/23: Fr/JV/V G-BB: Lakeview @ Utica – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/27/23: Fr/JV/V B-BB: Utica @ Ford II – 4/5:30/7 pm
1/28/23: JV/V Wrestling: Utica Novice Trnt – 9 am