Southwood Academy of the Arts
Virtual Open House for 5th Grade Students
There will be a virtual open house for current 5th grade students who will be 6th graders at SAA next year. The virtual event will be Monday, Feb. 22nd 6:00-6:45 pm! The first part of the meeting will be for the entire rising sixth grade, and second part will allow families to meet specific teachers.
In Honor of Black History Month, the MM Topic is Diversity!
8th Grade Students & Parents: IGPs
Ms. Doolittle and Mr. Chamblee are conducting IGP meetings with 8th grade students and their parents. Course catalogs and information have been distributed. Calendar sign-ups are happening now. General IGP information, the high school course catalog, and more is available through Ms. Doolittle's IGP website linked below. As always, Ms. Doolittle is just an email or phone call (864-260-5205) away.
Region 1 Honor Band Congratulations
Step it Up Fundraiser
PTO is sponsoring the Step it Up Fundraiser to benefit our school! The kick-off meetings will be Monday, February 22nd in the Performing Arts Center at the following times.
*8th grade will meet at 9:00 am
*6th grade will meet at 9:30 am
*7th grade will meet at 10:00 am
A5 Free Internet Information
This 7 page document has many helpful hints and links for Google Classroom, Google Meet, and much more.
AM Drop Off - front of the school 7:30-8:15!
Don't Forget Athletic Shoes for PE Day!
Don't Forget to Wash Your Masks!
Early Dismissal / Appointment Policies
- When you arrive at school, please call the office: 864-260-5205 to let us know you are here to pick up a student for dismissal.
- Make sure to have your license ready and press the buzzer for entrance.
- Once the door is unlocked, be prepared to show your license through the window while you will remain in the foyer. Please DO NOT enter the office area.
- We will have a sign-out sheet in the foyer. Please know that we will get your student to you as quickly as we can.
Breakfast: the Most Important Meal of the Day
Cafeteria Will Have Snacks for Sale!
The cafeteria is excited to announce that we will resume extra sales Wednesday, February 10th.
As before, we will be offering a selection of chips, drinks, ice cream and other snacks. All items meet the USDA criteria for Smartsnack options, meaning they are healthier snack choices for students. Since we have not been offering these items so far this year, I would like to remind students of how this works.
· Extra sales may be purchased during the lunch period after all students have finished going through the line to get lunches.
· Students must wear masks and bring their Southwood Student ID to the register to purchase items.
· Per Anderson School District 5 policy, students may not purchase extra sales if they have a negative balance on their lunch account. The balance must be paid in full before extra sales may be purchased.
· Students may purchase items with cash, but it makes their transaction much quicker to add money to their account ahead of time! Money may be added online ahead of time at http://www.k12paymentcenter.com.
News from Nurse Rosa
1. Take the temperature of any child demonstrating shortness of breath, loss of taste, sore throat, muscle aches, chills, new or worsening cough, or runny nose.
2. Keep the child at home one or more days to monitor symptoms.
3. If you decide to have a COVID-19 test, notify the school nurse of the results so that the school can implement the Enhanced Health and Safety Protocols in the classroom(s) where your child attended.
*All information will remain confidential between the school and family. No other families will be given the health information of your child.
TDAP: All students are reminded that they must have their Tdap vaccination BEFORE starting 7th grade! Now is the time to schedule an appointment for your 6th grade student. Please submit documentation to Nurse Rosa after immunization.
For any health-related questions, call the office or email Nurse Rosa.
Spring Sports Information
This is Mrs. Spencer's list of some contemporary African American authors and their books in our media center.
2020-2021 District Calendar
Southwood Academy of the Arts
Eric Chamblee, Associate Principal & Instructional Facilitator
Paula Doolittle, Guidance
Joshua Powell, Arts Lead Teacher
Cheri Gilbert, Secretary