Kara Wilkes. Section B. 9/10/15
Main Ideas/Key Details!
- Interactive writing is a strategy used to support young, developing writers
- Explicit and effective teaching are key in development of interactive writing
- Dynamic instruction where students and teachers colaborate and discuss the writing process as it is occurring.
- 6 Essential Parts
- Share the Pen
- It works because it provides a high level of support but the students are constantly involved in what they are doing
This article is really important, in my opinion, because teaching kids to write in younger grades builds the foundation for them in the future. Interactive writing is a great way to dynamically teach writing because it offeres a lot of teacher support and interaction but allowsthe students the freedom to write and work and be an active part of the experience. In using interactive writing it will be a great tool for differentiating instruction between kids and or groups of kids. With the amount of support that is offered in all forms of it the teacher can scaffold what the students need to know. Knowing all of this I think it makes me think more critically about hte way I will teach my students about writing. I had never thought about really being an active part of their writing process until this and it really gave a new perspective for what writing can look like in elementary school.
- Why do you think teaching students writing is critical in elementary school?
- Is it important to use all 6 steps of the strategy when writing? Do you think they align with the writing process?
- How do you think interactive writing could be used in your classroom?
Roth, K., & Dabrowski, J. (2014). Extending Interactive Writing Into Grades 2-5. The Reading Teacher, 33-44.