West H.S. Special Education Dept.
Weekly Update, December 14, 2015
Co-Teaching as a School System Strategy for Continuous Improvement
Preventing School Failure Pages 29-36
Co-teaching has increasingly been implemented over the past 20 years as an alternative to more restrictive special education models. Results of local school system research in Maryland during this 20-year period suggest that improved special education student performance is associated with increased access to general education classrooms through co-teaching support.
System-level co-teaching implementation strategies are identified that result in successful participation by students with disabilities in co-taught general education classrooms and accelerated outcomes on state reading and mathematics assessments.
A copy of the article is in your mailbox!
Professional Development Opportunities
Tuesday, Dec. 15th, 4-5:30pm
737 East Hudson Street
Choose between one of these fantastic PD opportunities!
1. Co-Teaching 101
Learn the basic components of co-teaching including teacher roles and responsibilities. This opportunity is lead by Dr. Alecia Russell and will be held at Hudson Distribution Center in the Paul Lindquist room.
2. Co-Teaching 102
Learn how to maximize instructional strategies, utilize the expertise of both teachers and increase student engagement in co-teaching classrooms. This opportunity is lead by Dr. Keisha Fletcher Bates and will be held at the Hudson Distribution Center in the Professional Library.
Special Education Department Meeting
Wednesday, Dec. 16th, 2:30-3pm
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- Due to principals January 20th, and sent home January 27th.
Scheduling for 2016-17 School Year Has Begun!
- You'll receive a scheduling matrix in your email that you'll need to complete for each of the students on your Case Management roster.
- Please complete the matrix and return it to me by January 22nd.
- We have several IEPs that show up as overdue on our building report. I sent a copy of the IEP due report in a separate email. Please check the report for IEPs that are overdue on your Case Management roster.
- Contact Citicia Smith at Hudson if you sent an IEP and it still shows up as overdue.
December Special Education Department Chairs Meeting
- The meeting was cancelled so their is nothing new to report!
Alternate Assessment Training Dates and Times
Initial Training (6 Hours)
RSVP to email@example.com one week prior to each of the 3 sessions you plan to attend. You must attend one 2-hour training each month.
Location: Kingswood Data Center, 1091 King Ave., Lab 1 Classroom
- Choose 1 Day: Dec. 14, 3:15-5:15 OR Dec. 15, 4:15-6:15 OR Dec. 16, 4:15-6:15
- Choose 1 Day: Jan. 12, 3:15-5:15 OR Jan. 13, 4:15-6:15 OR Jan. 14, 4:15-6:15
- Choose 1 Day: Feb. 9, 3:15-5:15 OR Feb. 10, 4:15-6:15 OR Feb. 11, 4:15-6:15
Review / Refresher Training (3 Hours)
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org one week prior to each of the 3 sessions you will be attending. You must attend one 1-hour training each month.
Location: Kingswood Data Center 1091 King Ave - Lab 2 Classroom
- Choose 1 Day and Time: December 14, 15, OR 16, 3:15-4:15 OR 4:15-5:15
- Choose 1 Day and Time: January 12, 13, OR 14, 3:15-4:15 OR 4:15-5:15
- Choose 1 Day and Time: February 9, 10, OR 11, 3:15-4:15 OR 4:15-5:15
Optional Q & A Session
This session is for ANYONE giving the Alternate Assessment or is going to be a second rater. Stop in anytime to ask questions. There is no formal presentation.
Location: Kingswood Data Center, 1091 King Ave, Media Room
- February 17, 2:30-5:30