Diversity & Equity Newsletter
The month of May was chosen based on a previously successful 350th Anniversary of American Jewish History, celebrated 2 years prior in May 2004.
Learn Your Own Way, Locally!
- Located in Philadelphia
- Re-Opens Post-Covid on May 13, 2022
- Currently FREE admission for all ages!
- Allergy/Asthma Awareness Month
- ALS Awareness Month
- Arthritis Month
- Better Hearing and Speech Month
- Borderline Personality Disorder Month
- Celiac Disease Awareness Month
- Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month
- Ehlers-Danlos Awareness Month
- Fibromyalgia Education and Awareness Month
- Healthy Vision Month
- Hepatitis Awareness Month
- High Blood Pressure Education Month
- Huntington’s Disease Awareness Month
- Lupus Awareness Month
- Lyme Disease Awareness Month
- Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month
- Mental Health Awareness Month
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivities Awareness Month
- Neurofibromatosis Month
- Older Americans Month
- Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month
- Stroke Awareness Month
- Toxic Encephalopathy and Chemical Injury Awareness Month
- Vasculitis Awareness Month
Please take some time to learn about some of these health conditions or concerns and how we can all help out!
Ehlers Danlos Awareness Month
Recently, researchers have discovered a link between Autism and EDS. People (and families) with one are more likely to have the other.
Fun Fact: The awareness color for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is zebra print! There is a saying in the medical field that started with Dr. Theodore Woodard that goes "When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra." This leads doctors to look for the most common answer first, before going to a more rare answer. People with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome are medical zebras!
Interviews and Articles
I am also being interviewed for the same magazine about the importance of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) from the standpoint of an LGBTQ+ person in the business office.
ASUA's Diversity & Equity Committee Presents: Cultural Week
Monday, May 16th, 9am to Friday, May 20th, 3pm
520 Meetinghouse Road
Eagles Autism Challenge
Saturday, May 21st, 7:30am
One Lincoln Financial Field Way
Join Team A Step Up Academy for the Eagles Autism Challenge!
There is a Bike Race, a 5k, and a Sensory Walk to choose from.
Register using this link to join our team:
The Diversity and Equity Committee will be hosting panel-style workshops featuring adults on the autism spectrum. Please fill out this form so we can see what topics and questions you might like to have covered during these sessions.
Check out the Diversity Terminology & Language Glossary for current terms and language used to talk about diversity topics. This document will be frequently updated to keep on top of the ever-changing conversations about language usage.
Do you have a topic or issue for the Diversity & Equity Committee to discuss? Have you found a resource, tool, etc you think would be beneficial to our goals? Do you have any questions or suggestions? This form is anonymous.
- Covid-19 Hate Crimes Act - NPR
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Awareness Month - The Ehlers Danlos Society
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Autism - National Library of Medicine
- EDS and HSD Awareness Month - The Ehlers Danlos Society
- Jewish American Heritage Month - Wiki
- Weitzman National Museum of Jewish History
- Welcome to the Autistic Community - Being an Ally
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Intro to AAPI Heritage - National Parks Service