NAIS Staff Newsletter
August 10, 2018
As we embark on the start of a new school year, together at New Albany Intermediate, we want to remind you that:
Every person on our staff- whether custodian, aide, cafeteria staff, bus driver, office staff, counselor, teacher- you matter. As our students enter the doors later this week- our moments with them matter. You make a difference and have an impact on our students' lives.
During this busy and exciting time, its important to remember why we entered the education profession. In all the hustle and bustle that needs to get done this year- slow down and make moments for our kids- whether a smile, positive feedback, encouragement, or a shared look that says we're all in this together- these moments matter. The start of the school year is also an important time to reflect upon our 'why'. We'll use Peter Reynolds' book The Dot to spend some time in the week ahead thinking about our legacy and the mark we make on our students. Everyone has a why- a purpose, cause, or belief that inspires you to do what you do. We will take some time to discover or rediscover and set an intention for the year with our why at the forefront.
We are excited to embark on this new school year with each of you.
Please let us know at any time- how we can support the important work that each of you do every single day! You Matter!
~Katie , Megan, & Patrick
Join Us- August 12 Cookout
4th Grade- Debbie Gabelman
Intervention Specialist- Meredith Petzke
Intervention Specialist- Courtney Kosky
Library Aide- Angie Lewis
Lunch Team- Jennifer Hughy
Front Office Secretary- Betsy Bozich
Educational Assistant- Patty McLellan
Educational Assistant- Lauren Nader
Educational Assistant- Raymond Eddy
News to Share
2.Monday is your day to work in your classroom, but we will have an optional Breakfast in the Community Room starting at 8am sponsored by Horace Mann. Lunch will be provided on Tuesday and Wednesday in between our staff meetings, PD, and Open House, Here is the detailed Schedule for Next Week.
3. Technology Update: Communication abut the one-to-one initiative went home to parents and we are excited to get started! With support from the Technology Department, iPads will be distributed in homeroom classes by wing of the building. iPad Distribution Schedule: Thursday August 16th S Wing (10:55-11:35) & E Wing (1:20-2:00) / Friday, August 17th R Wing (9:20-10:00) & I Wing (10:55-11:35). We will breakdown your role during these 40 minutes during our meeting on August 14th.
4. ALEKS Set-up: This year all students will be pre-registered for teachers. Student accounts will be set up by Monday, August 20th. Please review the ALEKS Set-up 2018-19 for printing rosters, moving students and general instructions.
5. Here is the link to the Intermediate Post Card that went out in early August to families. Be sure to check out all the Back To School Important Dates.
6. Power School: Right now, homerooms and 6th grade electives are uploaded into Power School. Teams have time built into our agenda Tuesday to work on schedules and class rotations. The sooner this information is submitted to Donna, the sooner it will be uploaded into Power School. Megan, Katie, Patrick, and Donna attended a training with Meta Solutions/Power School this past week and are working to customize our buildings schedules to get a more accurate bell schedule view for our students this school year. Anything you can do at Open House to help parents (and students) understand their child's day, team teachers, etc will help transition students to the new school year.
7. Check out our newly updated Internal Staff Website, by clicking on the link at the bottom for more information on schedules, calendars, safety drills, etc. We are still working to get everything loaded for this year, but please know we are actively working on this.
R Factor Kids Camp
Upcoming Important Dates
Monday, August 13th- Teacher Work Day, Breakfast Served in Community Room starting at 8am, sponsored by Horace Mann
Tuesday, August 14th- Convocation & PD/Staff Meeting (click here for the link)
Wednesday, August 15th- Building Meetings & NAIS Open Houses
4th grade - 1:00pm, 6th grade- 1:45pm, 5th grade- 2:30pm
Thursday, August 16th- First Day of School
Tuesday August 28th- 4th Grade Curriculum Night- 6pm
Thursday August 30th- 5th Grade Curriculum Night- 6pm
Tuesday September 4th- 6th Grade Curriculum Night- 6pm