By: Brian Cerda
- The tiger began evolving 3.2 million years ago, and its most closely related to the snow leopard than any other species.
- Tigers have lived in a wide variety of climates and habitats from Turkey, China, Siberia and Indonesia.g
- Of the original nine subspecies, three have become extinct in the last 80 years.
- A century ago there were estimated to be 100,000 tigers in the wild. As a result, tigers are listed as an Endangered Species.
- There is continued pressure due to population expansion into their habitat, as well as the loss of larger prey species.
- Humankind is the main predator of the tiger.