What Causes Down Syndrome?
Down Syndrome is caused when Chromosome 21 has 3 chromosomes instead of 2, like the rest of the 21. This results in Down Syndrome also being called Trisomy 21.
- Flattened facial features
- Broad, short hands with a single crease in the palm
- Small head
- Protruding tongue
- Unusually shaped or small ears
- Poor muscle tone
- Relatively short fingers and small hands and feet
- Short neck
- Excessive flexibility
- Tiny white spots on the colored part (iris) of the eye called Brushfield spots
- Upward slanting eyes, unusual for the child's ethnic group
- Short height
- Heart defects
- Infectious diseases
- Sleep apnea.
- Other problems
"Say Hello To Kenny The Inbred White Tiger With Down Syndrome." Daily News Dig. N.p., 29 June 2013. Web. 09 Dec. 2015.
Down Syndrome isn't inherited. When the condition is caused by trisomy 21, as it mostly is, the chromosomal abnormality occurs randomly during the formation of reproductive cells in a parent.
How Is It Detected?
Down Syndrome is genetically detecteby a third gene in chromosone 21, other wise known as Trisomy 21. As I said earlier, this is what results in Down Sydrome.
Children with Trisomy 21 will most likely get care from a team of health professionals, it differs from child to child, but the team often includes special educators, physicians, speech therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and social workers.
Some that are going are:
- CHILDREN BETWEEN 7 AND 12 WITH DOWN SYNDROME NEEDED FOR A RESEARCH STUDY ON OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE BEHAVIORS BY QUEENS COLLEGE IN NEW YORK
- RESEARCH STUDY TO FIND WAYS TO PREVENT LEUKEMIA IN CHILDREN WITH DOWN SYNDROME
- NIH-FUNDED STUDY OF CONGENITAL HEART DEFECT AND DOWN SYNDROME
- RESEARCH ON SOCIAL COMMUNICATION ABILITIES OF YOUNG CHILDREN WITH DOWN SYNDROME AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE
- ADAPTATION AND RESILIENCY IN FAMILIES OF CHILDREN WITH DOWN SYNDROME
- One in every 691 American is born with Down Syndrome
- Down Syndrome is the most common chromosone related condition
- "Directory of Current Studies." - National Down Syndrome Society. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Dec. 2015.
- "Down Syndrome." Complications. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.
- "Down Syndrome." Genetics Home Reference. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Dec. 2015
- "Down Syndrome - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment - from WebMD."
- "Down Syndrome." Symptoms. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.
- WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015.
- "What Are Common Treatments for Down Syndrome?" NICHD - Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Insitute of Child Health and Human Development. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Dec. 2015.
- "What Is Down Syndrome?" - National Down Syndrome Society. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015.