Jaguar Tracks for Families
December 15, 2020
From the Desk of Mrs. Ippolito
Dear Joshua Eaton Families,
It is hard to believe that we have a holiday break shortly! This has certainly been an exciting start to our school year, but with the support and collaboration of our entire community, we have been able to provide our students the best education possible given the limitations of COVID. Over the next two weeks, we're asking for every families' support to keep your children attending and engaged in their learning, right up until the end. The staff have been very busy planning and preparing each week to make the most of our learning time, and we don't want to lose a minute! I know the teachers have fun and engaging lessons planned for our students!
A reminder that the RMHS National Honor Society is collecting donations for the Reading Food Pantry. If you would like to contribute, please drop off your donations to the RMHS students on the sidewalk at arrival and dismissal. They will be collecting items through Thursday afternoon. A collection box is set up in the main lobby so students can donate with the school as well. I know the Food Pantry will appreciate any and all donations!
As a reminder, we have a full day of school on Wednesday, December 23rd with school ending at our regular time, 2:45 p.m. Winter break will begin on December 24th, and students will return to school on Monday, January 4, 2021!
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!!
Joshua Eaton Lunch Menu
- December 17th - Cohort A - Grs 4 & 5 Picture Day - POSTPONED, NEW DATE TBA
- December 18th - Report Cards sent home Grades 1-5
- December 24th- Holiday Break Begins
- December 25th - Christmas Day
- December 26th - Kwanzaa Begins
- January 4th - Return to School - Cohort A Week
- January 15th - Professional Development Day - No School for Students
- January 18th - Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No School
Report Card Timelines
Term 1 Report Cards will be going home through the portal on December 18th.
Just for family information, Term 2 is from December 7, 2020, until March 11, 2021, as it stands right now. Report cards will be sent home on March 26th for Term 2.
Please also see below the Report Card Update for 2020-21.
There is still time to shop! Our fair has been extended through 12/21! You can visit our fair page here: Joshua Eaton Scholastic Book Fair Online. Originally, families were able to load money onto the e-wallets for the staff. Since the fair was extended, unfortunately the only way to contribute is by giving a e-gift card.
Dear Parents and Families,
Remember, every dollar you spend will benefit our school directly (25% back in rewards!).
Be sure to visit the Fair :
Some amazing features of our online store:
· Over 6,000 items, including new releases, best sellers, and value packs
· A Virtual Book Fair shopping experience
· All orders ship directly to home
· FREE shipping on book-only orders over $25
Thank you for all your support!
Joshua Eaton News
Student Absences - IMPORTANT
There are two ways to do that prior to 7:45 am of the morning the student is absent:
1. Call 781-942-9161, Dial 1 - leave a message
2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Access for In-Person Students Who Are Absent From School
Below are the remote criteria that will be used when students who are in person during a particular week are absent from school.
Students will have live remote access under the following conditions:
- He/she is quarantined due to testing positive for COVID-19.
- He/she is quarantined due to being in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
- He/she is being quarantined for being out of state and is waiting for a negative COVID test per DPH guidelines.
- He/she is showing symptoms of COVID-19 and is awaiting test results.
- He/she has another medical condition that prevents them from coming to school.
Students will not have live remote access under the following situations:
- He/she is absent for any reason other than described above.
- He/she is quarantining for 10-14 days because of out of state travel as defined by the MDPH Travel Order and is not getting a COVID-test.
- He/she is going on a family vacation or other non-school activity during school days.
Please note that there may be extenuating circumstances in a school that would require a different action than above. These decisions are at the discretion of the building principal.
JE School Supply Pick-Up - Next Pick-up December 16th and December 23rd**** WEDNESDAYS
School Improvement Plan
From the Desk of Mrs. Trevejo, School Nurse
To our JE community –
We are in the final weeks for students to receive their flu shots. Please review the message below from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Thank you to all parents that have already vaccinated your children and submitted paperwork. We are still around 80% compliance.
Flu vaccine is mandatory for all students this year, by December 31st:
Beginning in the fall of 2020, influenza vaccine will be required for all students. Influenza vaccine is always important to receive to reduce the risk of getting sick with the influenza, reduce the severity of disease if one does get sick (including the risk of hospitalization) due to influenza, as well as preventing the spread of influenza to others. During the COVID-19 pandemic, influenza vaccine will be especially critical to reduce the overall impact of respiratory illness on the population, protect vulnerable populations from severe illness, and decrease the overall burden on the healthcare system. Children must receive influenza vaccine for the current flu season by December 31, 2020.
The school immunization requirements, including the requirement for seasonal influenza vaccine, apply to all Massachusetts students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12, regardless of whether the district is providing instruction in-person, or using a hybrid or remote learning model.
Please reach out if you have any concerns,
PE Weekly challenge with Ms. Cucinotta
Holiday Gratitude Cards for Tufts Children’s Hospital Staff
Join the Joshua Eaton Student Council in creating Holiday Gratitude cards for the staff at Tufts Children’s Hospital. We are looking to spread some cheer this holiday season!
- Make electronic cards here and email them to Ms. Lewis (email@example.com)
- Make a homemade paper card and bring it into school where you can give it to your teacher (or leave it in your drop off bag if you are remote)! All cards will be quarantined before sending them!
- No matter what, please don’t include your names! Sign it from the Joshua Eaton Jaguars.
All cards are due by Friday, December 18th at 3pm. Click here to see example cards from Student Council members. We can’t wait to see all the Joshua Eaton Jaguars practicing compassion this winter!!
Reading celebrates the message and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Every year, Reading celebrates the message and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This year, during this unprecedented time of a pandemic, we've already started planning for an event themed 'Beloved Community' that is both inspiring, engaging, and can be delivered 100% remotely. Dr. King popularized the notion of the beloved community. He defined it as a society based on justice, equal opportunity, and love of one’s fellow human beings. There were many before him who fought for the rights of those who were not treated equally.
How can your group help us educate and celebrate his message? How can everyone here in Reading internalize the message as a unified beloved community? We are looking for 3-5 minute pre-recordings that exemplify 'Beloved Community'. Could you create a song? A poem? A reading? An original interpretation or storytelling? All of these are welcome!
Please email your content to the Human Rights Advisory Council by January 5, 2021.
Superintendent Virtual Office Hours
- Now that we have begun the school year, we will be restarting the Superintendent Virtual Office Hours. Office hours will be scheduled in 20 minutes blocks of time on Microsoft Teams. If you would like to schedule an office hour, please complete this link.
Office of Student Services
Special Education Support
If you have any questions about your student’s IEP or services please reach out to our building Team Chairperson, Shana Goldwyn at Shana.Goldwyn@reading.k12.ma.us
Office of Student Services Office Hours
With the holidays upon us, we wanted to take a quick moment to thank all the families for their support and partnership during this most unusual school year. We hope that you all have a chance to relax, spend time with family and reenergize over the coming weeks!
As December is approaching, we wanted to share our office hours for the month of December. Jen Stys, Director of Student Services, and Allison Wright, Assistant Director of Student Services, are available for office hours on the following dates. Please sign up for an appointment through the link below.
December Office Hours:
- Wednesday, December 16 @ 2-3 pm
- Monday, December 21 @ 12-1 pm
Link to the DOODLE Poll to sign up for office hours:
We are all thankful to be working in such a wonderful community.
Jen Stys and Allison Wright
Family Support Resources
Please be reminded of these amazing resources, if your family is in need:
- RPS Behavioral Health Resources linked here.
- Town of Reading: compiled resources linked here.
- RCASA and Mental Health Support linked here.
- St. Vincent de Paul linked here.
- Free & Reduced lunch access: sign up here.
- Reading Food Pantry linked here.
- Project Bread link here.
- Residential Financial Assistance (Rent/Mortgage) link here. (New resource! Check it out!)