November 2023 Edition
Fun and Learning in November at DAF
Tuesday October 31- Halloween
- Costume contest, classroom decorating contests, movies and more... see below for more details.
- October's Wildly Important Leader hot lunches from DQ and McDonalds
- Fox Force Pizza Party Lunch
- Picture Retake Day
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters from Lethbridge start a weekly girls group with chosen students from grade 6 during the school day
- Remembrance Day ceremony at the school- This will be a combined ceremony with WRM
- No school in observance of Remembrance Day
- No School- Division wide profesional development
- School Council meeting @ 7pm at in the Learning Commons at DAF
- End of Term one
- Start of term 2 and new exploratory classes start for all students
- Report cards will be sent out. We have switched from our last reporting measures to percents. All core classes (English, Math, Social, Science and more) will be reported in percents. CTF (exploratory) classes will be reported on a scale similar to last year.
- Costume contest with prizes
- Classroom decoration contests
- Grade 6 students will be having Halloween centers through the day
- Grade 6, 7 and 8s will be watching Hocus Pocus during period 6, 7 and 8s. A general movie will be in the Learning Commons for anyone not wanting to watch Hocus Pocus . Please bring a blanket or something comfortable to sit on for the duration of the movie. Popcorn and M&Ms will be served to each student for the movie.
- Please remember to keep costumes school appropriate
- Masks are not allowed on during the school day but will be allowed on for the purposes of judging costumes. When costume judging begins anything covering the face can be put on and when costume judging is done the masks will be asked to be taken off
Thursday November 2- Grade 6- Students will be going to Writing on Stone as part of their learning in the Language Arts and Social Studies curriculum. They will be studying Indigenous history as well as human- made structures and how the land conveys meaning such as in First Nations pictographs and petroglyphs. Please send warm coat or layers for the weather, good walking/ hiking shoes/ bagged lunch and a water bottle. Students will leave the school at 8:15am and be back in time for busses at 3:20.
Monday November 6 - Disection Grade 8 classes- Students from our two grade 8 Science Dissection classes will be going to Lethbridge College to explore Animal Sciences and Career Development. Students will leave the school at 11:30 and be back to DAF before the 3:20 dismissal bell. Please send good walking shoes, a lunch and a water bottle.
Tuesday November 14- Grade 8 Makerspace students will be going to the Aquafun center to try out their cardboard boats. Please send bathing suits with your child if they are in that class.
Wednesday November 22- Grade 7 Logic and Strategy Class- Students are wrapping up their Logic and Strategy class by going to break out rooms in Lethbridge. They will be leaving after lunch and they will be back by the end of the day dismissal bell.
Volleyball Pep Rally in Pictures
All of our volleyball teams from grade 6 to grade 8 had a tremendous season and we are so proud of them all. Both of our boys and girls tier two teams went into division finals ranked top place in our league and our boys came out of divisionals with gold medals. Our grade eight tier one players were battling against other schools grade 9 players and still came out 3rd place in the standings. We are so very proud of the effort and perseverance that our coaches and players put forward. We are also so very grateful for people that came forward to be coaches, managers of the teams, people that volunteered to do score keeping, lines, referees, work at the Snack Shack and of course our Athletic coordinators for organizing all of it to make it happen. It takes a dedicated team of selfless people to support our players out on the court.
We have had our interest meetings with students for our grade 7 and 8 basketball teams. We will be having a week of open gym practices over the week of November 14th - 17th and then try outs the week after that. Stay tuned for more information. Follow our Athletic Calendar for more information on exact dates for open gyms and try outs.
Mrs Sran has started up our games club. If you are a gamer and would like to connect with other kids from the school, play our Nintendo Switch on the big screen, VR, join in our chess games, ping pong, foozeball or many other board games come on out on Thursday after school from 3:30-4:30.
Other Important Information
DAF Snack Shack
Are you tired of making lunches? Have we got a deal for you. The DAF Snack shack offers hot dog, corn dogs, taquito, and submarine sandwich meal deals (main course plus a juice box and a bag of chips) for $5.00 each day. Lunch orders are taken at first break and prepared before lunch time. We also offer bottled drinks, assorted chips, corn nuts and chocolate bars each day. Prices vary between one dollar and two dollars. The prices are set to be as low as possible and the money we make from our snack shack goes into buying the free DAF shirts we offer kids at the beginning of each school year.
Taber Rugby Hot lunches
Please see the attached order form for hot lunch on Wednesdays. Hot lunch is being put on by the Taber Rugby Club and no cash or cheques will be taken at the office. Thanks and have a great weekend. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDYkU67K6Zi1Z_mJYIm0NO0lq8a5BHg_EE-kmpBIomr1L8dw/viewform
Lifetouch is sending us class pictures for each student. As soon as we get them into the school we will send them home with your child.
Federal Government and Children's Dental Cost
The Federal Government is providing funding for families so that they may cover the cost of their children's dental costs. Follow this link for more information.