September 14, 2022 Edition
Miller Career and Technology students and parents,
Wow! It is hard to believe next Thursday will mark the end of the 1st six weeks of the 2022 - 2023 school year. The next few holiday months will bring increased activities and busier schedules. Please read below for a few campus updates, initiatives, and reminders.
Meet Your Administrative Team
NEW - SkillsUSA Member Registration
Our first SkillsUSA meeting of the year was a great success with over 150 students present! If you are interested in becoming an official member of one of our chapters, please submit your membership dues ($40.00) through Pay N' Go. Our current chapters include:
- Computer Science (Computer Maintenance, Cybersecurity, & Networking)
- Criminal Justice (Law Enforcement & Legal Studies)
- Culinary Arts
- Education & Training
- Health Science
- Manufacturing Engineering
SkillsUSA advisors and officers will be sending out additional meeting and competition information soon!
NEW - National Technical Honor Society Meeting
New NTHS induction invitations will go out soon through CTE teachers. Be on the lookout!
NEW - Program Highlights
EMT students practice communication skills with Legos and radios.
Digital audio students had a friendly competition building analog Gramophone speakers to hear music on a record player.
Vet Med students learn the basics of grooming/handling dogs in preparation of The Miller Dog Wash opening.
NEW - Superintendent's Student Leadership Circle Representatives
From top to bottom and left to right: Sophia Richardson (Law Enforcement - Jordan HS), Hayden Fitzsimmons (Automotive Technology - Katy HS), Dayanna Perez (Manufacturing Engineering - Mayde Creek HS), and Ximena Gonzalez (Veterinary Medicine - Katy HS).
NEW - Adulting 101 Series - Basic Auto Care After-school Session
In October, we are excited to kick-off our after-school series with Basic Auto Care. In this optional, after-school event, our Automotive teachers will be leading students through how to jump a car, how to change a tire, and tips for basic car maintenance. Spots are limited for this Adulting 101 learning opportunity. To sign-up, please scan the QR code in the flyer below and submit your name and email address or click the link below. Please note: This event is only open to current MCTC students.
NEW - MCTC Business Partnership Interest
Our program goals include:
- To improve and reinforce students' career skill development.
- To supplement classroom instruction with relevant learning experiences in the business community.
- To provide students a realistic perspective on the working world through interaction with business professionals.
- To establish a mechanism for businesses and campus staff to share their expertise and services with one another.
- To increase the depth of resources available to campus staff.
- To develop mutual support and promote positive relationships between the business and school communities.
NEW - Upcoming PSAT Day - October 12th
Katy ISD College and Career Night
Katy ISD's College and Career Webinar Series
Katy ISD will be offering College and Career webinars throughout the school year. All presentations will be delivered via Zoom from 6:00 - 7:00 PM. Additionally, sessions will be recorded and uploaded to the College and Career Webpage. Check out the September sessions below, and click on the links to register.
September 14, 2022
Office of Disabilities/Seniors and Senior Parents
Tamara Tinsey, University of Houston
September 21, 2022
Top Careers and You/All
Nathan Rosas, Career Service Specialist, Houston Community College
NEW - 2022 - 2023 Exam Exemptions
NEW - Upcoming Important Dates
- Thursday, September 22 - Last Day of 1st Six Weeks
- Friday, September 23 - Student Holiday/Campus Professional Learning Day
- Wednesday, October 5 - Adulting 101: Basic Auto Care After-school Session
- Monday, October 10 - Staff & Student Holiday
- Wednesday, October 12 - Campus PSAT Day & Katy ISD College & Career Night
- Tuesday, October 25 - Miller Monster Mash community event