BWMS Parent Update
Welcome to the 2020-21 School Year
BWMS is ready for a fantastic year. I know all families have mixed emotions with summer coming to a close and starting back to school amid such varied circumstances in 2020, yet we look forward to much growth and learning this year. We expect fun and laughter; we anticipate overcoming obstacles and pushing through when thing may be tough. In the end, we desire for our students to be better tomorrow than they are today in terms of academic, behavioral and social keys of success. Thank you for trusting us with your student, they will love it.
If you ever have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Mr. Josh Frame
School Format Adjustment for 2020 - TEAMing
BWMS is excited to introduce TEAMing to our school format as a means to meet academic, social and safety concerns in 2020. TEAMing is a concept that allows a group of teachers to partner together to provide the content delivery for Language Arts, Social Studies, Math and Science. This year, students at BWMS will be divided into grade-level teams and intermix their courses throughout the day with those individuals. This concept will not only allow our core teachers to get to know your student better, it also allows for cohorts of kids to travel together and therefore reduces the maximum amount of touch points per individual. We believe this school organization has tremendous academic, social emotional and safety benefits.
One item that is a change to prior years is that students will travel to related arts classes as a cohort per semester. We understand that this method reduces the choice students have this year but we find the benefits of reducing the potential face to face exposure across the school. We thank you for encouraging your student to engage in content with teachers potentially find new interests in 2020 during our related arts rotation.
Important Information to Start the Year
- The Online PowerSchool Portal will be available on Tuesday August 18th. This will include student schedules and bus routes. *Note: bus route information is only available via the web/computer portal and is not available in the phone app. If you have a question about your bus route, you can call Transportation at 740-965-8967
- BWMS will review procedures, health and safety, and begin building relationships during the Staggered Start the week of August 24th according to the following schedule:
Monday 8-24-20 - VLP Students
Tuesday 8-25-20 - Student Last Names A-F
Wednesday 8-26-20 - Student Last Names G-L
Thursday 8-27-20 - Student Last Names M-R
Friday 8-28-20 - Student Last Names S-Z
- The First Day for all students is Monday, August 31st.
- Families are encouraged to access the BWMS Virtual Curriculum Videos from each teacher on Thursday September 10th via Schoology. Each teacher will share details about their class as well as communication information for the 2020-21 school year so each parent knows how to stay in the loop about their student's learning.
- BWMS cannot provide supervision of students until 7:25 AM each morning so we ask that parents arrange drop off schedules accordingly. At that time, all students report to their 1st period class.
- If your child will be absent, please call the attendance line at 740-965-7786 by 8:30am on the day of the absence.
- Parent Drop Off and Pick Up should use Fairland Drive. This is for the safety of our students riding the buses coming in from the Cheshire Road entrance. We ask that you pull all the way down to the Orange Cone so we can drop off and pick up as many students as possible. Student pick up will be different this year and we appreciate your patience. Please stay tuned for a video tutorial.
Incoming 7th grade Family Information
Attention Families of the Class of 2026 and our incoming 7th grade class for the 2020-21 School Year.
Please find the Virtual Incoming 7th Grade Parent Orientation the BWMS Survivors Guide for 2020-21 to assist as you start to prepare for next school year. We will also encourage you to sign up for the BWMS Schoology Groups - BWMS Families (8VWG-XH43-BRB6Z) and BWMS Athletics (2KDR-2KDW-322JB).
Reminder for 7th Grade Families
Virtual Learning Program News
- 8:00-9:30 Group A-7th grade VLP, Last Names (A-J)
- 9:30-11:00 Group B-7th grade VLP, Last Names (K-Z)
- 11:30-1:00 Group C-8th grade VLP, Last Names (A-J)
- 1:00-2:30 Group D-8th grade VLP, Last Names (K-Z)
Students will receive the timeline for meetings and online support via a Schedule on the 24th.
All information for VLP can be found on our website: http://www.bwls.net/VirtualLearningProgramVLP.aspx
1 First day of fall practices for all sports
18 Schedule Posting for Students
17-21 BWMS PD Days
24 VLP Staggered Start
24 Fall Sports Pictures
25 W STAR Assessments (7 & 8 Reading & Math)
25 In Person Staggered Start A-F
26 In Person Staggered Start G-L
27 In Person Staggered Start M-R
28 In Person Staggered Start S-Z
31 1st Day with All Students
7 Labor Day (no school)
10 Virtual Curriculum Night Videos Posted
11 STAR reports Sent Home
18 Grade Update Day
21 Teacher PD Day / Fair Day
23 Picture Day 7:45-2:20
29 Virtual Conferences, 4:00-7:30
We are committed to seeking out our military connected families and assisting those families as needed. Should an immediate family member currently be serving in the military, please complete this form.
Stay Connected with BWMS w/ Schoology
- BWMS will send out Announcements Periodically throughout the week to keep others informed using the new school communication and learning management system - Schoology - https://schoology.bwls.net/home.
- BWMS Families code: 8VWG-XH43-BRB6Z
- BWMS Athletics: 2KDR-2KDW-322JB
- BW-VLP Schoology Family Group: 86C8-CC76-PTNC4
All information for BWMS athletics can be found at bigwalnutathletics.net