Week 2 - Nutrition Class
Crossfit Iron Mary's
Week 2 Recap
Thanks for joining me Saturday! I hope you took home some new ideas on grocery shopping/stocking your pantry with clean foods, and also some food prep tips to make your life easier! Food prep can be overwhelming, but if you plan ahead and make a few tweaks each week, you'll soon be on your way to Paleo lifestyle!
Paleo Pantry Staples
Remember, if you are transitioning to a Paleo lifestyle, you don't have to change the way you eat in a single day! (Although, if you do want to dive in, that's great!) A great way to start is to not replace the gluten/processed foods in your pantry when you run out. Try adding one or two new Paleo foods a week until you've completed the transition.
Some of the items in our pantry that I consider essential are:
- eggs! We usually go through a dozen or two a week!
- meat! We buy what's on sale, and plan our menu around that
- coconut oil - great for cooking
- gelatin - this can be very healing. Check out this link for lots of gelatin recipes.
- almond butter - be sure to read the ingredient list! Health food stores like 14 Carrot also sell it in the bulk section
- grass-fed butter(Kerrygold) - if you have a Sam's membership, you can buy it in bulk and it's more affordable.
- lots of green leafy vegetables - We usually go through several heads of lettuce, a bag of spinach, a few squash, tomatoes and carrots each week
- fruit - enough for each of us to have one serving of fruit a day
- coconut milk (canned, not refrigerated) We use the Thai Kitchen brand.
A slow cooker is your friend!
I love my slow cooker. We use it at least once a week. I usually double the recipes we cook in it, so that we can either freeze the leftovers or use them for lunch during the week. Click here for 30 Paleo slow cooker recipes.