Parent Newsletter May 2023
Principal's Message from Mrs. Sierra
Hello Champion families! The end of the 2022-2023 school year is near and I couldn't be more proud of our staff, students, families, and community. We have accomplished so much as a school family this school year. Thank you to our Calk-Wilson community for working side by side with us. The growth and progress our Champions have made could not have been possible without your support. As we count down the final weeks of the school year, let's continue on the path of excellence as our Champions continue to excel in and out of the classroom.
Christine Sierra, Principal
Teacher Appreciation Week May 1st-5th
Lights! Camera! Action! Calk-Wilson is fortunate to have dedicated teachers who truly care about all of our students. They are committed to helping each of our Champions achieve success in and out of school. We would like to share some ideas with our families just in case our Champions are interested in showing their appreciation towards their Super Star teacher.
*Please note all suggestions below are optional.
Monday, May 1st: Express your appreciation with fan mail. Complete the form provided and give it to your favorite teacher to place on their classroom door!
Tuesday, May 2nd: Bring one single fresh flower to thank your favorite teacher
for a stellar performance.
Wednesday, May 3rd: Be your teacher’s sidekick and wear their favorite color.
Thursday, May 4th: Red Carpet Time! Dress like a movie star day.
Friday, May 5th: Show our teachers how “sweet” they are with a
STAAR Testing Grades 3-5
* Students will have the entire day to test. Please ensure your child remains in school all day when testing is taking place.
* Ensure your student is attending school daily and does not miss school for reasons that are not unexcusable. Right now, teachers are covering skills with each of their students that they need additional support with based off how they performed on their mock tests. Each school day moving forward is extremely important. We don't want your child to miss out on any instruction that they need.
*Talk with your student about showing their strategies with their work. Our teachers have been modeling strategies our students can use to assist them on their STAAR tests. This year our students will be testing on a new format of the STAAR test, which requires them to take their entire test on the computer. The test format will have different question types that will require our students to answer questions in many different ways. One of the newest test items is for students to type out answers to questions being asked of them on their reading test. This has been challenging for our students, but they have made so much progress and we couldn't be more proud of them. The good thing is there is still time for them to practice more before their April 26th test date.
We are confident our Champions will be successful on their STAAR tests! Let's team up and support our students every step of the way. Go Champions Go!
Returning and Not Returning 2023-2024 School Year
Thank You to Our Cafeteria Staff
We Appreciate You!
May 5, 2023
National School Nurse Day May 10th
PTA MOD Pizza Night Fundraiser May 16th
We hope you can join us on May 16th for our MOD Pizza Spirit Day. This fundraiser will be held all day and all you have to do is use the code below on the flyer.
PTA will be set up inside at a time determined closer to the event and will have a table for you to enter into a raffle. Our PTA is looking for any businesses or parents who would like to donate an item or items to be raffled off. If you or someone you know would like to donate, please message our PTA on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/calkwilsonpta) or email them at email@example.com.
Thank you for all of your continued support!
Speech Pathologist Day May 18th
End of the Year Awards Assemblies
*Students will sit with their teacher for the entire assembly.
*Students may wear their Sunday best for their assembly.
*Teachers will send home a parent notice the week of May 15th informing parents/guardians of which awards their child will receive.
*Please enter through our cafeteria for our awards assemblies.
End of Year Classroom Parties
Imagine Learning Math Program
Students are required to pass 30 lessons for the school year. Each week with the number of minutes given to work on this program during the school day, students should pass anywhere from 1-2 lessons per week.
This program is unique because it is tailored to work on your child's current skill level in math. The program provides online tutorial help with a live tutor when needed. When students use this program consistently each week, progress in math can be made. This progress can transfer over to your child's daily math work in school.
If you would like to know how many lessons your child has completed so far this school year, please reach out to your child's teacher. A report can be provided to you.
Capturing Kids Hearts Theme for May (CKH)
What is Integrity?
Integrity is the ability and willingness to live with honesty and excellence. People who act with integrity make a choice to do the right thing, no matter who is watching. Integrity is the foundation on which we build relationships and trust.
Why Focus on Integrity?
- Integrity generates trust. When we are honest and follow through on promises, we gain the confidence of our team; Trust allows us to collaborate and achieve more together.
- Integrity encourages self-assessment. Integrity requires our regular self-assessment to align behaviors with our goals and self-beliefs.
- Integrity is essential in leadership. Great leaders decrease anxiety and build strong teams when they are honest, consistent, and responsible.
CCISD Volunteer Information
We are excited to welcome volunteers to our campus this school year. Our campus will have a variety of opportunities throughout the year where we will need assistance with numerous projects. Please read the information below to learn how to become approved to volunteer at our campus this year. For more information, please reach out to our parent involvement paraprofessional, Krystal Balcarcel. You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer registrations are approved for a single school year, expiring on 6/21/2023 for the 2022-23 school year.
- All volunteers for the 2022-23 school year, must apply/reapply after 6/1/2022. The system will run a new background check at that time, and send a new approval letter.
- No volunteer shall serve as athletic coaches and/or assist in any athletics practices or games.
- No volunteer shall cover a classroom by themselves.
- Although initially screened and approved by CCISD Human Resources, each Campus Principal has the final approval of Volunteers at their campus.
- Complete and submit the on-line Volunteer application at: https://jobs.ccisd.us/winocular/Workspace/wSpace.exe
May Breakfast and Lunch Menu
CCISD Speak Up for Safety Tip Line
Like our campus Facebook page
Read Canvas emails from teachers
Read School Messenger emails from our campus
Answer School Messenger calls from our campus
We will provide up to date information and we want to make sure you stay connected with our campus and most importantly your child's teacher.
Important Dates to Remember
May 1st: Teacher Appreciation Week Begins
May 2nd: 5th Grade STAAR Science Test
May 4th: Returning/Not Returning Form Due
May 5th: Last Day for Students to Check Out Library Books; School Lunch Hero Day
May 10th: 3rd-5th Grade STAAR Math Test; National School Nurse Day
May 12th: Grades 1-4 Progress Reports Available Online
May 16th: PTA MOD Pizza Night Fundraiser
May 18th: Speech Pathologist Day
May 26th: Students Take Home All Personal Belongings
May 29th: Memorial Day No School
May 30th: Students Not Allowed to Bring Backpacks to School
May 31st: Last Day of School @ Regular Dismissal Time; Students Not Allowed to Bring Backpacks to School
June 1st: Summer Begins