JCMS Parent Newsletter
- Parent-Teacher Conferences - Come out to talk with teachers about your students progress this Thursday from 4-7pm. No need to make an appointment. Student progress reports will be handed out that night as well (they will be sent home with your student if you don't come).
- Advanced Art Tryouts - will be held tomorrow morning during HR time. Students need to listen for an announcement calling them out.
- Winter Math Night - Come out and join us for our Winter Math Night http://tinyurl.com/zp5u7kc
- Scheduling -
8th Grade: Mrs. Phillips has been talking with students about creating their 4 year plan. The student will create their 4 year plan but we ask that parents talk with them about this and sign this paper before the student returns it. The high school guidance counselors will come to JCMS on February 5th and 8th to actually schedule the students. There will be a parent meeting on Thursday Feb. 4th at 6:30 in the middle school auditorium where the high school counselors will be available to talk with you and answer questions you may have.
- Snow Make-up Days -
Date Missed - Make-Up Date
January 11 - Monday, January 18 (MLK Day)
January 12 - Monday, February 15 (Presidents Day)
January 20 - Thursday, May 19
- Picking Students Up - Make a doctors appointment for your student during the school day? No problem! - call ahead or write a note for your student to bring to the main office letting us know what time you will be here. By letting us know ahead of time, we are able to have your student in the main office ready to go by the time you arrive.
- 2015-2016 Yearbooks - Now on Sale!! Order forms are being mailed home or you can go to: ybpay.lifetouch.com and enter Yearbook ID Code: 12069116. Prices start at $25 for a yearbook.
- 8th Grade Math Help - Struggling in Math? Want just a little more practice with a particular topic? Need some help on homework? You have come to the right place!! - http://tinyurl.com/hx3vf9a
- 7th Grade Math Help - Struggling in math? Mrs. Ballenger will be available for tutoring and extra help every Thursday until 4:00pm.
- New ISTEP+ Test - If you want to see what all the hype is about and try some of the new ISTEP+ based questions yourself, visit http://parcc.pearson.com/practice-tests/english/.
- 2016 ISTEP+ Windows - Please avoid scheduling all appointments or other things where your student misses school on the following dates: February 29-March 11 and then April 18-29. These dates are when we will be taking ISTEP+ this year.
- Comment Box - Please help make our school better. If you have feedback for us or a suggestion on how we would do something better, please click the following link and let us know. Be as detailed as possible in your suggestion so we are able to act upon it. http://goo.gl/forms/yUo6t4sp8X
Word of the Week
Definition: To know, point out, or state the difference
In a sentence: After reading the "Zombie Survival Guide" over the weekend, Mrs. Hensley can now distinguish between zombies and middle school students. (At least we hope so!)
Get caught using this word to get entered into a drawing!
Spelling Bee Winners - Madison Hill (Left) and Kayla Fields (Right)
From the School Counseling Office
ISTEP results and 21st Century Scholar applications are in the mail!
In the next few days parents should receive a copy of their student’s 2015 ISTEP results in the mail. Please take a few moments to look these over with your child. In addition, any student that has not previously enrolled in the 21st Century Scholar program should have also received an application in the same envelope.
JCMS is joining communities across the state in helping Hoosiers of all ages— from kindergarteners through adults —pay for college as part of Learn More Indiana’s Cash for College campaign.
College may seem like a long way off, but our students are already starting down the path to get there. And there are lots of things students can do to be successful in high school, college and a future career. Indiana’s 21st Century Scholars is a needs- and performance-based program that provides students the opportunity to earn up to a four-year scholarship at an Indiana college or university.
Hoosier students who meet income criteria can enroll during their 7th- or 8th-grade year of middle school. Students commit to maintaining academic success, remaining drug and alcohol free, and completing college-preparation activities. Scholars are provided resources and assistance to help them plan and prepare for college and pay for expenses not covered by their scholarship.
Parents can enter their application online at 21st Century Scholar Enrollment or completely fill out the application and return to the JCMS School Counseling office. We are happy to enter the application for you. Once the application is processed, parents will receive acceptance or denial information by email or mail directly from the State.
JCMS also encourages grade 7 and 8 students to enter the Cash for College contest to win $529 in an Indiana CollegeChoice 529 Savings Plan. Entry forms that are available at LearnMoreIndiana.org, are due March 10, 2016. Students and families can access dozens of other free resources at LearnMoreIndiana.org, including printer-friendly activities, videos, live presentations from financial aid experts and the Indiana College Costs Estimator.
For more information about your child’s 2015 ISTEP scores, or the 21st Century Scholar program, please feel free to contact the School Counseling office at 812-346-4940, or by email at JCMS School Counseling.