Palacios Library E-Newsletter
#3 E-Newsletter 2018-2019
1,000,000 Word Count A. R. Master's Degree Students
PSJA Education Foundation Grant Winners at Palacios
Texas Bluebonnet Award Ballot Submission for Palacios Elementary
Votes per book:
6 for Amina's Voice
0 for Bravo! Poems About Amazing Hispanics
3 for Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix
3 for Garvey's Choice
14 for Grand Canyon
1 for Grandpa's Hal-La-Loo-Ya Hambone
17 for Hello, Universe
3 for How to Avoid Extinction
7 for Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing
7 for Me and Marvin Gardens
2 for Refugee
14 for Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero
4 for Slider
20 for Spirit Hunters
12 for Stef Soto, Taco Queen
9 for Step Right Up: How Doc and Jim Key Taught the World About Kindness
42 for The Bicycle Spy
6 for The Harlem Charade
16 for The Unlucky Lottery Winners of Classroom 13
2 for Wedgie and Gizmo
Total book votes: 188
Votes per grade:
Third Grade: 65
Fourth Grade: 61
Fifth Grade: 62
Sixth Grade: 0
Total grade votes : 188
Winner of the 2019 Texas Bluebonnet Award
Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero
by Patricia McCormick
Reading Challenge Top Readers
First 1st grader to reach 100,000 Word Count
First 2nd Grader to reach 250,000 Word Count
First 5th Grader to reach 1,000,000 Word Count
Top AR students received Word Count certificates during morning assembly.
Top AR -100,000 Word Count
Cristy Sandoval, Eduardo Salas, Keylly Rodriguez, Geraldine Olivares, Jose Lopez,Christopher Sifuentes, Isaac Hernandez, Leonardo Garcia, Cassandra Garcia, Camila Centeno, Andrea Carreon, Andrea Arzola, Brian Arriaza, Bridgeth Aleman, Alison Ramirez, Isabella Mireles, Domenik Chavarria, Alejandra Amador, Samuel Santana, Marvell Rodriguez, Markell Rodriguez, Isac Perez, Adair Olivares, Bryan Torres, Carlos Rivera, Sergio Hernandez, Jessica Hernandez, Angella Guillen, Melanie Garza, Heberto Garcia, Angela F. Baez, Valery Chavarria, Samantha B. Ortiz, Eduardo Vargas, Kathrine Martinez, Alexa Enriquez, Matthew Archer, Abigail Zamora, Rachel Valdez, Jaritza Tovar, Chloe Perez, Zaylee Morin, Manuel Martinez, Julian Lopez, Edgar Lopez, Belinda Gutierrez, Ayleen Guadalupe, Dianey Gonzalez, Ayden Garza, Daniel De Santiago, Caitlin De Los Santos, Matthew Cardoza, Jaclynn Blanco, Sophia Becerra, Angel Guevara, Rebecca Valdez, Marissa Trevino, Darius Sieng, Devany Moreno, Efrain Matamoros, Dylan Martinez, Julyan Gonzales, Jacqueline Garcia, Denisse De Santiago, Arely Rodriguez, Siomara Herrera-Santillan
English Language Arts and Reading TEKS
§110.2. English Language Arts and Reading
1) The English language arts and reading Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) embody the interconnected nature of listening, speaking, reading, writing, and thinking through the seven integrated strands of developing and sustaining foundational language skills; comprehension; response; multiple genres; author's purpose and craft; composition; and inquiry and research. The strands focus on academic accuracy (proficiency in oral expression and comprehension), authentic reading, and reflective writing to ensure a literate Texas. The strands are integrated and progressive with students continuing to develop knowledge and skills with increased complexity and nuance in order to think critically and adapt to the ever-evolving nature of language and literacy.
PSJA School Board Member-Mr. George Palacios visits Palacios Library classes.
PSJA School Board Member Mr. George Palacios reads The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig.
Second graders listen to the read aloud story.
Mr. Palacios talks to the students about being kind and compassionate.
Social Studies TEKS
§113.12. Social Studies
(12) Government. The student understands the role of authority figures, public officials, and citizens. The student is expected to: (A) identify the responsibilities of authority figures in the home, school, and community; (B) identify and describe the roles of public officials in the community, state, and nation; and (C) identify and describe the role of a good citizen in maintaining a constitutional republic.
Pharr Police Officer X. Sanchez visits Palacios Library classes.
Officer X. Sanchez reading The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister.
Officer Sanchez and Mrs. Sanchez made character puppets for the students to hold during the read aloud.
Officer Sanchez and Kindergarten class
Chinese New Year 2019
Battle of the Texas Bluebonnet Books
Battle of the Texas Bluebonnet Books Panther Team
January 25, 2018
Congratulations to the following students on the Panther Team!
Students completing the necessary requirements for the Panther team are
1. M. Rodriguez
2. A. Enriquez
3. J. Garcia
Students competed on Jan. 25, 2019 at P-SJ-A Southwest Early College High School Library.
English Language Arts and Reading TEKS
110.12.b.7. Reading/Comprehension of Informational Text/Culture and History.
Social Studies 113.3.a.1. Distinguish between past, present and future.
Students indentify customs of Texas.
113.3.a.2. Use of a rich variety of materials such as biographies, folktales, myths, and Legends. 113.3.b.2. History. The student understands the origins of customs, holidays, and celebrations. 113.3.b.15. Culture. The students understands the importance of family beliefs, customs, language and traditions.
100th Day of School
Kindergarten classroom-Mrs. E. Lopez & Ms. D. Cano
Top Patron Circulation Statistics
Top Patron Circulations-3rd Six Weeks
1. Rodriguez, Arely Gisselle 2nd 46
2. Lopez, Edgar Eduardo 3rd 35
3. Valdez, Roosevelt Royce 2nd 34
4. Mendoza, Starla Skye 2nd 32
5. Flores, Allyson Leahn 3rd 31
6. Hernandez, Alejandro 1st 30
7. Rodriguez, Jalynn Isabella 2nd 29
8. Guevara, Ariana Bella 2nd 28
9. Lopez, Aseret Serenity 2nd 28
10. Cerda, Karlo 2nd 27
Top Patron Circulations-4th Six Weeks
1. Rodriguez, Keylly M. 4th 61
2. Valdez, Roosevelt R. 2nd 55
3. Guevara, Ariana B. 2nd 54
4. Trevino, Kaylie 2nd 46
5. Rodriguez, Jalynn I. 2nd 45
6. Ortiz, Santiago E. 2nd 42
7. Sieng, Diseth Lazarus 3rd 41
8. Rodriguez, Markell S. 3rd 40
9. Cerda, Karlo 2nd 38
Top Homeroom Circulation Statistics
Top Homeroom Circulations-3rd Six Weeks
1.Valdez, Juan (2nd) 58
2.Chavez, Martha (2nd) 55
3.Garcia, Dalia (1st) 46
4.Martinez, Bianca (1st) 38
5.Castro, Sandra (5th) 35
6.Marquez, Juan Carlos (5th) 34
7.Rodriguez, Cristina (3rd) 34
8.Rodriguez, Sandra (3rd) 34
9.Ramirez, Alejandra (4th)28
10. Hinojosa, Cynthia (3rd) 26
Top Homeroom Circulations-4th Six Weeks
1. Valdez, Juan 2nd 402
2. Hinojosa, Cynthia 3rd 231
3. Rodriguez, Cristina 3rd 181
4. Rodriguez, Sandra 3rd 140
5. Enriquez, Lisa 1st 136
6. Covarrubia, Gloria 1st 124
7.Rodriguez, Jeanette 2nd 122
8.Ortiz, Ana 2nd 112
9.Villarreal, Sylvia 4th 100
10.Martinez, Bianca 1st 99
Palacios AR Quizzes
Palacios Library Circulation Statistics
March 7, 2019 Dr. Seuss Literacy Carnival 4:00 to 5:30 p.m.