The Buzz Awakens!
Week of December 14, 2015
How can thinking like a Jedi help us understand our world?
PTO Holiday Shop
Wednesday, Dec. 16th 2015 at 8:30am to Friday, Dec. 18th 2015 at 2:30pm
Wednesday, Dec. 16th 2015 at 3-4pm
- ELA Team (Demo Room): Working Session - Please bring your laptops & any texts you have (either authentic or from LBD) that support our Science Essential Question
- Minority Student Achievement Team (Small Conference Room): Part 2 (Teacher Personalities & Conflict) of our #DontKickThemOut series. Click here to review our questions...and don't forget to bring a friend!
Comp Through Conversation PLC
Thursday, Dec. 17th 2015 at 3-4pm
- Bring some of your favorite texts...this will be a working session!
The Curriculum Corner: 2b - Establishing a Culture for Learning
Component 2b consists of three Elements: Importance of Content; Expectations for Learning & Behavior, and Student Pride in Work. We are all familiar with the expression: Reach for the moon; even if you miss, you will land among the stars. As teachers, we must always set the bar high…and when we do so, our students will never disappoint! According to Danielson, this is evidenced by the look of the classroom, the tone of interactions throughout the classroom, and the rigor of activities that students are engaged in.
As you reflect on this component, ask yourself: What does the work displayed say about my classroom practice? Do I “sell” our programming with enthusiasm & a “we can do this” attitude? Are my students excited to share, adjust & “add to” learning activities…and can they explain why? “When a culture for learning has been established, other aspects of teaching become easier & more rewarding. Students enter the classroom ready to get to work…and have confidence in their abilities.” In short teaching & learning becomes FUN! Always remember, if we believe in our students, they will believe in themselves...only then they will be eager to do more and work even harder!
The critical attributes of a classroom environment that effectively addresses the elements of 2b include the following characteristics:
- The teacher communicates the importance of learning with enthusiasm & assures that all students can be successful with hard work.
- The teacher conveys high expectations for student effort and demonstrates a high regard for student abilities.
- Students take the initiative to create high quality work, recognize the efforts of their classmates, and help to ensure they have complete understanding of the presented skills/concepts.
- Student questions and comments indicate a desire to understand and apply the content rather than simply learning procedures for getting the correct answer.
A Chair for my Mother
Authentic reading, writing & art in Grade 2!
Words to Inspire
1st Grade Performance
THANK YOU to everyone that helped make this wonderful show possible!
News & Notes
- Just a reminder that students will be pulled for the GIS Santa Shop on Wednesday, December 16th. Schedules have been sent out.
- Next month we will be starting our 2nd Trimester PLC on "Conferring." I still have some texts available if you would like to participate! Check your email for the meeting schedule.
You're the Best...Quotes from the Staff!
- Carol Yaksta – You’re the Best! You are always pleasant and professional, and you go the extra route to help our students and parents.
- To the first grade team: You are wonderful teachers and a treasure to work with!
- Kathy Buchanan so glad to see you getting better!
- Shout out to Theresa for doing a great job with the book fair!
- CONGRATULATIONS ALEX!!
- Brian, thank you for always taking the time to listen. Your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated!
- Lauren- You are amazing! Thinking of you this week
- Nicole- Thank you for being a wonderful friend! Stay positive. Love your WCB
- First grade team- for always being there for each other
- Mr. Anthony- thank you for all the clean up after breakfast each morning!
- Theresa Raynor for your kind words – you made my day! J
- Mari Kay for giving me the opportunity to listen to TW read! It brought tears to my eyes to hear him.
- Aileen – for going above and beyond for your students and their families.
- To the candy fairy in the first grade wing- Thank you!!
Thanks to everyone on the second grade team for all your help these past 3 weeks!!! You are the best!!
- Thank you, first grade teachers for your help with the rehearsals and the concert!
- Thank you, Mrs. Perry for making all of the props/decorations for the concert and for your assistance during the rehearsals and the concert!
- Thank you, Mr. Bittner for helping with the concert and rehearsals!
- Thank you, special area teachers and the third grade teachers for your flexibility with the schedule this week!
- Thank you, Anthony for all of your hard work setting up the risers and chairs for rehearsals and the concert!
- Thank you, Debbie for all of your help with the concert!!
Thanks to Aileen, Madji and Simone for always helping out with Spanish interpretations, especially when asked to do so on a moment’s notice.
Mike. Thanks for working to get the heights and weights done. It’s been a great week.
Melanie Storey- kudos to you for your prompt action in an emergency situation!
- 12/04 - Assessment Data DUE (F&P, Math Benchmarks)
- 12/07 - Parent/Teacher Conferences & Book Fair (12/7-12/11)
- 12/08 - Bulldog Buddies Meeting
- 12/10 - Winter Concerts (Gr1 @ 9:30 PM; Gr3 Chorus @ 7:00 PM)
- 12/16 - SIT Meetings (ELA Units & Minority Student Achievement); PTO Holiday Shop (12/16-12/18)
- 12/17 - CAST Meetings; Comprehension-Conversation PLC
- 12/18 - Star Student Luncheon
- 12/23 - Star Student Assembly (9:30, Gym)