BAMS Staff Newsletter
March 30th, 2014 - Volume 1, Issue 24
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO
By the end of the 2013-2014 school year, each grade level will increase the Mean Reading RIT score on the MAP Reading Assessment.
- 6th Grade - Mean Reading RIT score will increase by 9 points (Fall 205.5 - Spring above 214.5)
- 7th Grade - Mean Reading RIT score will increase by 7 points (Fall 208.8 - Spring above 215.8)
- 8th Grade - Mean Reading RIT score will increase by 5 points (Fall 215.4 - Spring above 220.4)
*I feel this goal is ambitious and flows much better with the individual SLOs that we have in our building. These numbers were selected based on historical MAP Reading data for our building and based on growth of National RIT Score Norms for Reading.
Out of the Office
- April 1st - 9:30am-11:00am - Admin Meeting - DMR
- April 2nd - 1pm-2:30pm - 6th Grade Transition Meeting - FLC
- April 8th - 9:30am-11:00am - Admin Meeting - DMR
- April 10th - 7am-11am - Teacher Effectiveness Training - CESA 6
News and Notes
- Final requisitions need to be turned in by April 11th so materials are paid for with this year's budget. Please let me know if there are needs that you have.
- At the April Early Release, we will be learning more about STAR benchmark assessments. Most likely we will not be using MAP next year and will utilize STAR as our benchmark assessment.
- Rebirth of Team Room - I am strongly considering going back to utilizing the room between the counselors office and the main office as the location for our team meetings next year. One reason for this is to have student documentation and data easily accessible to teams when they meet. Please come see me if you have any thoughts about this.
- The SPED department will be utilizing a literacy support program called the Wilson Reading System for next school year. Beth, Sarah, and Judy will be receiving some training on this program this year and then implement this program with some SPED students next fall. This would be a great thing to discuss with them and get their thoughts on this program.
- School Board Meeting Update - At the school board meeting last week, the new grading scale was approved and the new modified block schedule for next year was approved. I think these will both be positive changes for our students.
- School Board Member Leaving - John Goldapske has decided not to run for re-election on our school board. John served the district for over 9 years. Thanks for your positive influence on the district, John! Elections to fill the vacant board spot will take place on April 1st.
- You probably heard my messages to students about not being on FLC property until after 3:30pm. We will continue to offer after school supervision until 3:15pm, and students will have to be responsible to not arrive at FLC too early. Please let me know if you hear about any students not honoring this request.
- BAMS Got Talent - The talent show is back, baby! Thank you to Melissa Rahn for taking the lead with this event. A team of us met last week to discuss specifics about this year's show. The talent show will take place on June 6th (last day of school) and auditions will be held in mid-April. There will be prizes for the top 3 student acts and there will also be prizes for any and all staff acts. It would be great to set a record for adult participation this year.
- I am currently working with administration to determine the MAP testing window for the end of the year. I will let you know when the dates are finalized.
- Daily Attendance - Please continue to take accurate and timely attendance in your classrooms. We have noticed some inconsistencies with attendance in the office. This can pose a safety concern if it is unknown if a student is or isn't in the building. Please speak with Joan or myself if you have any questions.
- At the Oriole Way meeting last week, we discussed the iPad meeting we held for all students. Thank you again for taking part in this conversation. I'm hopeful this meeting will help us to be more consistent with our expectations for students.
- If at any time you need behavioral data on a student, please speak with Brandon. He would be happy to get you any data you need.
- Next Meeting - April 9th at 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
- Documentation Log - Due May 1st
- 2nd Observation - Due Before May 1st
- End of Year SLO Review - Due by May 15th
- SLO Score Report - Due by May 31st
- 2 visits to another classroom - Due by the End of the Year
*NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - I have been completing the Interim Evaluation for all Year 3 Educators and Specialists. This form is designed to provide you with some feedback on the 6 Standards to this point. Some of you have received this already and some of you will be receiving it in the near future. Once it is submitted to you, you will have to acknowledge it and then I can finalize it. Please let me know if you have any questions.
**Documentation Log Reminders:
- You should have at least 1 artifact per standard and not more than 3 artifacts for any one standard.
- The classroom observations of any other teacher can go into any standard. Pick the standard that makes the most sense based on what you observed or what you took away from the experience.
Dates to Remember
- April 2nd - 7th Grade Band Concert - 8th Hour
- April 3rd - 6th Grade Band Concert - 7th Hour
- April 4th - 8th Grade Band Concert - 8th Hour
- April 7th - Curriculum Steering Committee - 2:45-4:45pm
- April 8th - Staff Meeting - 2:50-3:15pm
- April 9th - Oriole Way Meeting - 7am
- April 9th - Early Release
- April 18th - Spring Break - No School
- April 22nd - Staff Meeting - 2:50-3:15pm
Staff Meeting Agenda
Next Staff Meeting: April 9th, 2014 - 2:50-3:15pm
- Review WKCE Data
- Review PBIS Data
- New Building SLO
Early Release Agenda
- Intro to STAR Assessment
- Work on District Initiatives
Mystery Staff Member
Who am I?
- My first car was a Plymouth Duster.
- I was a member of my high school chess team.
- I am one of 7 siblings and so is my spouse.
After reading the clues, email me with your guess of who this staff member is. The first 3 people to email me with the correct answer will get to prize from the "prize box".
Last week's Mystery Staff Member: Brandon Switz
Last week's winner(s): none