The Clayville Chronicle
November 2020 Edition
From the Desk of Mrs. Francis
Despite our many restrictions, October was filled with many highlights! Our curriculum is off and running and students are focused on learning! We also rolled out recess bins, courtesy of our PTO, to help bring some normalcy back to recess. I am especially proud of our students who have taken ownership of our Covid safety protocols. A special shout out to our staff for helping to keep our students on track and doing all they can to keep everyone safe. Thanks to all families for your ongoing cooperation and support!
Teachers recently finished assessing students' academic levels to determine each child's strengths and instructional needs. Our grade level teams, including our talented specialists, analyzed student achievement data in order to effectively plan for instruction to meet the needs of all learners. During these meetings, teachers created instructional groupings designed to provide targeted skill instruction to students with similar strengths and needs. You will receive a letter if your child will receive targeted instruction from a specialist.
A few fundraising dates, days off, and a distance learning day are coming up in the month of November, so be sure to check out the Dates to Remember section. As always, I encourage you to reach out with any suggestions, questions, or concerns.
- Please keep in mind that students have outdoor recess. We encourage students to dress in layers and wear a coat to school.
- Students will be marked tardy if they arrive after 8:45am and must be signed in by a parent/guardian.
- Students are not permitted to ride a bus other than their own.
- Breakfast/Lunch is free for all students through December 31st.
- *Please note, Free and Reduced Forms were sent home with students and can also be accessed by clicking the link below. If you are in need of another paper copy, please call our main office 401-647-4115. All other questions should be directed to the Superintendent's Office, 647-4100.
- Please date notes that are sent to school with students. If you are writing a note about dismissal, please write the full name of the person picking up your child.
- Please call to notify the office if/when your child is absent.
Update Regarding School Bus Windows
PAWSitive Office Referrals
Core Value of the Month: Respect
Students also signed a pledge against bullying during lunch! It was a special day at Clayville School! Kudos to Ms. Davis and our classroom teachers for planning thoughtful activities for art and morning meeting time!
Choose to Include: Unity House
Unity Day: Wearing Orange in Support of Inclusion, Kindness & Acceptance!
Pledge Signing Event: Clayville Students Are Kids Against Bullying!
American Reading Company Coaching Support
Grade Level Curriculum Highlights
Pumpkin Themed in PreK
Kindergarten Applying New Skills
Grade 1: Reading Steps!
Grade 2 Mathematicians
Grades 2 & 3 Distance Learners with Mrs. La Rose!
Grade 3 Writers
Grade 4: Off to a Great Start!
Grade 5: Literacy Unit of Study
Library Newsletter from Mrs. Serdechny!
Folders for students (back to school): $397
Coffee Truck for teachers: $250
Teacher snacks (with spirit wear donations): $40
Distance Learning teachers surprise gift cards: $40
Recess equipment (outside): $270
Recess equipment (inside): Approximately $270-$300
Halloween Parade gift bags: $384
That's about $1,650 spent already!
Next up: indoor recess bins & flexible seating options to add to our classrooms!
Special delivery from the Lions Club & Scituate Police Department!
News from Northwest Special Education
Northwest Special Education Local Advisory Committee meetings for the 2020-21 school year:
December 8, 2020
February 9, 2021
April 13, 2021
At this time, these meetings will be held virtually. Links to virtual meetings can be found on the Rhode Island Secretary of State's Open Meetings website at least 48 hours before the meeting date: https://opengov.sos.ri.gov/OpenMeetings.
Dates to Remember
- 11/3: No School (Professional Development Day)
- 11/5: Student Council Speeches
- 11/9-11/20: Food Drive
- 11/10: School Committee Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. (virtual)
- 11/11: No School - Veterans Day
- 11/12: PTO Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. (virtual)
- 11/16: Distance Learning/ Professional Development Day
- 11/25-11/27: No School: Thanksgiving Break
- 11/30: Give-a-Gift Drive Kickoff