Jaguar Band Newsletter
Your Place For Jaguar Band News
October 14th - October 20th
Message From Mr. Lucita
Band Booster Meeting
Journey Shirts Are In!
Calling ALL Jaguar Band Families!
Please Help Your Student With Show Hair
Questions About Upcoming Marching Festivals?
Help Wanted: Game Day Meal Pick Up and Serve
2 Week Practice Schedule
Competition Send Offs
You can still Purchase a Football Program Ad to Celebrate Your Student!
Hays Marching Festival
Helpful Reminders For Game Days
How To Sign Up With VIPS District Volunteer Program and Log Hours
Sync Your Calendar
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
From Mr. Lucita
And then there were two! Can you believe that there are two marching weekends left for this year?!! We are getting close to wrapping up our first year of marching band and boy has it been a great one. This past week was one filled lots of first for the Jaguar Band!! We experienced our first cold weather at a rehearsal. Wow, does that change the dynamics of a rehearsal. We had our first experience when the lights went out during a football game; the fans improvised and we had a short pretend Journey Concert! We attended our first Texas Marching Classic contest and took home 1st place in our division, as well as Outstanding Music, Outstanding Percussion, Outstanding Guard and Outstanding GE! Last, but not least, we had our first Marching Retreat canceled due to inclimate weather! Lots of first for us this week, however along with all of those “firsts” come a bunch of memories to think back about in the future!
Let’s take a quick look ahead to see what this coming week brings! It starts with Monday and Tuesday as student holidays!! Enjoy that long weekend! We will have band practice on Tuesday afternoon during our regular time, from 4:45-7:45. It is extremely important that we try not to lose any time this week because this coming Saturday is UIL! We do not have practice on Wednesday. However, there are the Hays CISD MS mock region band tryouts and our Jaguar Band students have been given the opportunity to volunteer to help at DMS. They will earn community service hours credit if they choose to volunteer. There is practice Thursday 4:45-7:45 and Friday 4:45-6:45. NO Football Game this week! Please make sure that you check the calendar.
For Saturday’s UIL contest, it is not a prelims/finals contest which means our marching day will not be as long as the previous weekends. A detailed schedule for Saturday will be sent out on Tuesday or Wednesday!
We also want everyone to be on the lookout for the Jaguar Bands very first upcoming fundraiser, just in time for the Thanksgiving Holidays and Christmas! The Jaguar Band will be selling coffee! That’s right our own premium Jag Band private label coffee: “Johnson Java”! Be on the lookout for this fundraiser starting soon!
Finally, everyone will receive the details this week about the bands Spring Trip to Dallas in April! We will be traveling together with the JHS Choir this spring on our first spring trip!
Please know that, as the Charms calendar has listed since school started, we WILL have practice from 4:45 pm to 7:45 pm on Tuesday, October 15th even though this is a school holiday.
Join us at Band Booster Meeting while your student is at band rehearsal!
Behind every great band are great band parents!
JUST IN TIME FOR MARCHING CONTEST! jOURney Shirts are in!
Order yours before they are gone! https://www.johnsonbands.com/product-page/2019-show-shirt-parent-only
Orders made before the meeting on Tuesday can be picked up on Tuesday from 6 - 6:35 pm, before the meeting begins at 6:40 pm.
Students will all receive a complimentary show shirt courtesy of the Band Boosters!
Student shirts will be black and Parent/family shirts will be royal blue. Both will have 2019 show dates on the back.
Calling ALL Jaguar Band Families!
We have an amazing show and need help loading/unloading trailer and setting up equipment and props on the field. At competitions, this needs to be done in a certain time frame so the more help we have, the better! No experience is necessary! Things to think about...
- You do not have to commit to all games and/or competitions - you can sign up for as many or as few as you are available for.
- Please keep in mind that volunteers will have to do physical activity, including running and pushing/pulling heavy equipment. Work gloves are recommended.
- Make sure to get your Pit Crew shirt! Cost is $10.
- If you volunteer on Pit Crew, the cost of your ticket is covered with a field pass and the boosters will cover your meals during competition days! Please know that in order to ensure you receive a field pass, you MUST be signed up on the sign-up genius!
If you are interested in helping on the Pit Crew, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0848ABA62CA57-proppit
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or text/call Clover Clamons at 512-468-8319.
Please help your student with SHOW HAIR
** It is highly recommended that you assist your student with his/her hair before he/she arrives at the band hall (ready for inspection). If your student needs help with hair, they must bring their own products (comb, gel, bobby pins, bun makers, bun hair nets, etc.) and arrive in the hair room (library) no later than 15 minutes before inspection.
Show hair guidelines:
Hair needs to be in a bun, braids, or neatly pinned up. This is for ALL hair length, even those with shorter hair must have their hair up and back. Be sure to wet hair, use gel, a comb and bobby pins. We also recommend donut bun makers and bun hair nets to keep buns in place. The BOYS that have a regular length haircut simply need to apply some product (gel, spray, etc.) in an effort to keep it styled and neat. Those with long hair will need to pull it up and back. In an email sent on 9/16 through Charms there were 3 video examples of show hair (this was email with show hair info and info about Seguin game).
UIL Marching Contest this Saturday! Johnson Band is scheduled to perform at 6:30 pm!
Below is the schedule for this weeks competition:
UIL Region Marching Competition 1A-4A
October 19, 2019
Giddings High School
2337 N Main St
Giddings, TX 78942
Admission Cost: $5 for adults; $3 for children; pre-schoolers free
Game Day AND Competition Day Meals
THANK YOU to the volunteers who helped with game day and Texas Marching Classic meals last week!
Please know that on competition days we serve the students lunch and dinner. So we need help to serve meals TWICE on those days. If you sign up for meal plans, please do not also sign up for Pit Crew.
If you don't have a background check filed with Hays as a volunteer, please click below to get it started. The times are subject to change as I figure out when the kids need to be fed.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Volunteer Background Check:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer on GAME DAYS:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer on COMPETITION DAYS:
Competition Send Off's
Be sure to follow us on Facebook so that you know when to join us next Saturday as the band drives to the UIL competition.
We meet up at Dahlstrom MS and you can either bring a sign, use one of the extra signs we have available or just wave and cheer - we just want you there!
The schedule for Saturday isn't available at the time this newsletter is published but as soon as it is and we schedule send-off, it will be posted on Facebook. Hope to see you there!
1st-ever Hays CISD Marching Festival!
* We are still needing Pit Crew volunteers for this event! Help us make sure our band has all the help they need at this community event! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0848aba62ca57-proppit
You Can Still Purchase A Football Program Ad To Celebrate Your Student!
If you didn't buy an ad and wish you had, you still can!
Future purchases will be featured in the remaining home football games (beginning with 10/24 home game). The football programs are also great advertising space. PLEASE share this information with your JHS friends and any business owners you may know! Deadline for 10/24 home game is Saturday, 10/19.
To order, go to https://www.johnsonbands.com/programads or fill out the form below and either mail it to P.O. Box 333, Buda, TX 78610 or give it to Tracye Mendez, JHS fine arts secretary.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful and Important Reminders For Game and Competition Days (UPDATED, PLEASE READ)
- SUMMER UNIFORM: Black band polo, khaki shorts, black belt, short socks, cap, band shoes.
- FULL UNIFORM: Black compression shorts, black band dri-fit, tall black socks, band shoes.
- ALL uniform pieces are REQUIRED.
- Please note that different socks are required for Summer vs Full uniform.
- Always pack/store uniform parts back in ONE bag so that it is ready for the next game or competition
- Please see above regarding "show hair".
- Students should pack (and be encouraged to use) deodorant. Game days are long and hot!
- Label caps, shoes (initials on the label on the inside of shoes), shirts, shorts, belts (anything they are changing in to and out of). If we find these items we have no way of knowing who to return them to. With so many kids changing and carrying their clothes around, stuff inevitably gets dropped or left behind. Paint pens (these come in all colors including silver or gold which can be seen on black) or Sharpie laundry markers work best for this. Any other pen or marker will rub off.
10/14: Student/Staff Holiday
10/15: 6:30 - 7:30 pm: Band Boosters General Membership Meeting (this is student holiday but there is still rehearsal and meeting).
10/17: Happy Birthday Mrs. Mendez!
10/17: 6:00 - 9:00 pm: Chick-Fil-A Buda Spirit Night Fundraiser
10/19: Johnson HS 4A UIL Region Marching Contest
10/23: 7:00 pm: Hays CISD Marching Festival
10/24: 7:00 pm: Home Game vs Central Catholic
10/31: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Seguin
11/1: BOA Super Regional @ Alamodome
11/2: BOA Finals @ Alamodome
11/2: REMO Series Finale Marching Festival @ Kelly Reeves
11/7: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Jarrell
11/9: TMEA Orchestra Winds/Percussion Auditions
11/15: TMEA Region Clinic/Concert
* Please see the calendar on Charms or Band Booster website for details. Details below.
How to sign up with VIPS district volunteer program and log hours
V.I.P.S. (Volunteers in Public Schools) is required by HaysCISD for all volunteers that will be around students. Volunteers must be approved as a VIP volunteer BEFORE volunteering.
TO SIGN UP:
- From www.hayscisd.net choose Community> Become a Hays
- CISD volunteer.
- Follow the prompts given to complete the application.
- Our VIPS coordinator is Ms. Conder. When you visit the band hall, please see her immediately to get a name badge. Bring your driver’s license in for her to see.
TO LOG VOLUNTEER HOURS:
- Go to www.hayscisd.net
- Choose the “community” tab
- Click on “become a Hays CISD volunteer”
- Click on “VIPs Rewards”
- Click on “Log your VIPs Hours (volunteers)” and log in
- Click on the drop down menu on the left –“volunteer”
Sync Your Calendar to Charms!
Visit the Johnson Band Website for information on how to sync the Charms calendar to your phone. "How to sync" links are located above calendar. Just click on link appropriate for your type of phone!
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
To sign up for Remind 101 for band notifications:
- Send a text message to 81010 (enter this number where you would enter the phone number)
- The message will be @jagband19 (type this where you would type your text message)
- Hit "send"
- If you did this successfully, you will receive a text informing you that you signed up for the band remind messages.
Signing up for Remind for other clubs or classes will be similar. You will always send a text to 81010 but what you type into the text box will be different. For example, for an English class, it might be @smithsenglishclass.
Follow Us/Stay Connected
Remind 101 Full Band Code - Text @jagband19 to 81010
Remind 101 Parents Code - Text @jbparents to 81010
Remind 101 Pit Crew Code - Text @pitcrewja to 81010