Fork Shoals Library Ledger
November 2016 Newsletter
Fall Book Fair!
Our Scholastic Book Fair is a reading event that brings the books kids want to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
Book Fair dates: Friday, November 11th-Friday, November 18th
- Friday, November 11th – 8am-3pm
- Monday, November 14th – 8am-7pm
- Tuesday, November 15th-Thursday, November 17th – 8am-3pm
- Friday, November 18th – 7:15am-noon
We accept cash, checks (made payable to Fork Shoals School), and all major credit cards. 6% sales tax is added to all purchases.
Don't have time to visit the Book Fair? You can shop online! Our Online Book Fair is open November 6-22, and all orders ship free to the school.
First Quarter Reading Challenge Results
All participants will be recognized on a poster outside of the library, and grade level winners will receive a special prize. In addition, three names will be drawn at random to receive a reward.
Our top readers in each grade level are:
- Kindergarten - Matilynn Johnson
- 1st grade - Minjie Oglesby
- 2nd grade - Oscar DeJong
- 3rd grade - Nathan Petrice
- 4th grade - Savannah Pascoe
- 5th grade - Janna Bahdini
Second Quarter Reading Challenge
How do you record reading?
Students have received reading logs, but you can also print out a reading log here. List books as you complete them. Remember that books can be counted only once, and only books finished should be recorded.
Battle of the Books
- Anybody Shining by Frances O'Roark Dowell
- Dash by Kirby Larson
- The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage
- Masterminds by Gordon Korman
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Pack of Dorks by Beth Vrabel
- Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
- Rescue on the Oregon Trail by Kate Messner
- The Rookie Bookie by Wertheim and Moskowitz
- Saving Kabul Corner by N.H. Senzai
Fork Shoals’ Battle of the Books team will train to compete against other teams in Greenville County. There will be two competition dates: the regional competition and district finals. Both of these events should take place in late March or early April, and will be held off-site in the evening.
Battle of the Books practices will begin on November 29th, and will be held every Tuesday afternoon (with the exception of Book Fair week) from 2:30 to 3:00. We will add Wednesday morning practices, 7:30-7:55am, beginning in January. The team will practice on Tuesday and Wednesdays through regional and/or district competition.
Are you interested in participating in this year's Battle of the Books competition? If so, check out the information below!
- Fill out a registration form by November 28th.
- Read the ten Battle of the Books titles.
- Be available for practices--starting in December--on Tuesdays, 2:30-3pm, and Wednesdays, 7:30-7:55am.
- Members need to have at least three of the books read by our first practice.
- Only students who have read all ten books will be eligible for the competition team (final five).
*If the number of students participating exceeds the required number for a school team (5), it may be necessary to assess which students are most knowledgeable about the books through a written evaluation or a school competition round determined by Ms. Knight.*
South Carolina Book Award Program
Click here for a handy checkoff sheet to keep track of your Book Award reading.
YouTube Channel for the Fork Shoals Library, featuring school videos and book trailers for the South Carolina Picture and Children's Book Award nominees.
Dates to Remember:
- November 3 - Square 1 Art orders due
- November 4 - Walk at School Day
- November 8 - Election Day (GCSD schools and offices will be closed.)
- November 11 - Veteran's Day
- November 11-18 - Fall Book Fair
- November 14 - SIC meeting, 7:30am; Veterans' Luncheon
- November 17 - School Thanksgiving lunch
- November 18 - Dynamite Dads' Breakfast, 7:30am
- November 21 - 2nd quarter progress reports
- November 22 - Career Day
- November 23-25 - Thanksgiving break
- November 29 - La Fogata Spirit Day