By: Sarah Duff and Riva Malick
Steroids Classification and How it is Used
Steroids are male sex hormones of testosterone. They do not fall under one of the 4 main categories of drugs
Normally people use steroids through injection, but it can also be used through pills and creams that are rubbed on the skin. Other names for steroids are Juice, Roids, Fakes, or basement drugs.
Steroids Effects (Physical and Psychological)
- short term- acne, fluid retention, rapid weight gain, increased blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Long term-blood clotting difficulties, heart attacks, cardiovascular, liver, and reproductive organ damage
- increases a person's aggressiveness
- "roid rage" is when a person has a manic rage the person displays episodes of outright aggression/violence
- Users say they feel better about themselves while using the steroids
- extreme mood swings occur
Costs of Steroids/ How Steroids Enter U.S.
For steroids the prices are usually very cheap
it is $7-$10 for 200 mg
People can get steroids through prescriptions from doctors. Most illicit steroids are smuggled into the U,S. from abroad. Normally people buy and sell them off of the internet. Steroids are also bought and sold in gyms, bodybuilding competitions, and in schools from teammates, coaches, and trainers.
Prevalence of use of Anabolic Steroids
Maryland- NO STATISTICS WERE FOUND
Harford County- NO STATISTICS WERE FOUND
How addictive are steroids
The potential for addiction of Anabolic Steroids are higher amongst body builders, and athletes. These groups of people claim that the use of the drug will make them more fit and will allow them to have competitive advantage.
Laws concerning steroid abuse
Congress passed the Anabolic Steroid Act of 1990, classifying 27 different steroids into schedule 3 drugs under the CSA