Educational Services Newsletter
Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment for January 2015
Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) Dates
In addition, to learn more about why growth indicators are so important, watch the video below.
District Special Education Team
Purpose of District Special Education Team: The District Special Education Team engages in dialogue regarding philosophies and policies, programs, best practices (learning, achievement, personal growth) and special education compliance that result in successful outcomes for students with disabilities.
Learning Targets - I Can Statements
Why Learning Targets are Critical - What the Research Says:
- Provides focused direction for the lesson- to the teacher as well as the student
- When students know what they are learning, they are better able to monitor and adjust their work
- Students are able to connect to prior learning
- Clear Goals are articulated so students know where their learning is headed
- When students interact with the Learning Target, they have a better idea of what they know and what they do not know, where they are headed, and how to get there
- Students area able to filter what they should be doing during a lesson by asking themselves how the task aligns to the target
- All Learning Targets add up to a sequence of learning goals in order to meet the expectation of the Iowa Core.
Brookhart, Susan M. & Moss, Connie M. "Learning Targets on Parade" Educational Leadership. October 2014, pages 28-33.
What Does it Mean to be College and Career Ready?
Common Core Resources and Teaching Tools
This middle school social studies video shows how to differentiate instruction using Learning Menus (5 min).
This teacher uses a quality peer assessment method. These students use small groups to review, revise, and reflect on the homework assignment. This will also work for in class assignments. (11 min)
Peer Conferencing is an effective way for students to learn to improve their writing, as well as acting as an assessment tool. Watch how students participate in peer conferences to assess and improve personal narrative drafts. (6 min)
This classroom uses Quality Evidence Rubrics to assess the quality of their work. (5 min)
Watch this first grade reading comprehension lesson that uses academic choice to help develop student skills for retelling and comprehension. The teacher gives her students an academic choice to choose how they want to learn. (13 min)
Quizlet's flashcards, tests, and study games make learning fun and engaging for students of all ages.
A great vocabulary builder site that also donates grains of rice for every correct answer you have.
VoiceThread Universal lets you browse threads and hear comments in pages specially designed for screen readers.