School Nutrition Newsletter
July 29, 2020
Don't Forget! School Re-Entry Guidance and Updates for School Nutrition Programs 2020 - 2021
- Don't forget! Schools must operate the National School Lunch Program once the new school year begins. SSO and SFSP are not an option even for those only implementing eLearning/virtual school operations.
- Questions? Contact your field specialist.
Reminders and Considerations for the Upcoming School Year
- Schools that will not be serving breakfast should provide families with community resource information for assistance.
- Schools that were previously operating using Offer vs Serve (OVS) but will not be this year should make sure all signage in the cafeteria is up-to-date to match the proper way to make a reimbursable meal. If possible, schools should try to notify families of this change.
- If no longer implementing OvS, schools have to make sure that the full portion of every component is on a student's tray to make a reimbursable meal. For instance, students in grades 9-12 must receive 1 cup of fruit and 1 cup of vegetable with every lunch.
- For more reminders and updates for this school year, view the slides from the Beginning of School Year Reminders Webinar on July 22.
New! IDOE August Webinar Series
- IDOE will be holding another round of webinars for schools throughout the month of August.
- Topics include: Training Your School Staff, Logistics, Direct Certification Frequently Asked Questions, Free and Reduced Frequently Asked Questions, and Verification for Cause.
- Click here for more information and to register.
- Questions? Contact the training team at SCNTrainings@doe.in.gov.
Spice up Your Menu for School Year 2020 - 2021
- Want enticing recipes from Indiana schools to help you implement some appealing and delicious ideas into your own menu?
- Look no further! Check out this new resource: Indiana Recipe Inspiration.
- Have some great recipes to share? Don't keep them to yourself! Help others by contacting Maggie Schabel to get your recipes added.
No Kid Hungry (NKH) Webinar Series
To support your efforts for this school year, NKH is also providing a back to school webinar series featuring community partners and local champions.
The No Kid Hungry Indiana “Thursday 30” Back to School webinar series will cover the following topics:
- Meals in the Classroom Best Practices - September 3 at 2 p.m. ET
- Grab and Go Meals Best Practices - September 10 at 2 p.m. ET
- Mobile Meals Best Practices - September 17 at 2 p.m. ET
- Handling Burnout in School Food Service - September 24 at 2 p.m. ET
Register for the “Thursday 30” series here.
Don't forget! CNPweb Step-by-Step Instructions Available
- Need assistance with your sponsor and/or site sheets in the CNPweb?
- Not quite sure what a particular question is asking?
- Cannot figure out how to fix an error?
- IDOE now has in-depth instructions for completing the 2021 CNPweb application.
- Click here to access this helpful resource!
- For frequently asked questions on the cnpweb, view this newsletter.
- For more detailed information, view this newsletter.
- For more frequently asked questions regarding this school year and the CNPweb, visit IDOE's Re-Entry FAQ here.
Indiana Department of Education - School and Community Nutrition
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.