WORD OF THE WEEK
FULL DEFINITION OF DEVELOP
1a : to set forth or make clear by degrees or in detail : expound <develop a thesis>
b : to make visible or manifest
d : to subject (exposed photograph material) especially to chemicals in order to produce
a visible image <develop film>; also : to make visible by such a method <develop pictures>
e : to elaborate (a musical idea) by the working out of rhythmic and harmonic changes in the theme
2a : to work out the possibilities of <develop an idea>
b : to create or produce especially by deliberate effort over time <develop new ways of doing business> <develop software>
3a : to make active or promote the growth of <developed his muscles>
b (1) : to make available or usable <develop natural resources> (2) : to make suitable for commercial or residential purposes <develop land>
4a : to cause to unfold gradually <developed his argument>
b : to expand by a process of growth <working to develop the company further>
develop the grain>
d : to become infected or affected by <developed pneumonia>
5: to acquire gradually <develop an appreciation for ballet>
1a : to go through a process of natural growth, differentiation, or evolution by successive changes <a blossom develops from a bud>
b : to acquire secondary sex characteristics
2: to become gradually manifest
3: to come into being gradually <the situation developing in eastern Europe>; also : turn
out 2a <it developed that no one had paid the bill>
EXAMPLES OF DEVELOP
- She has been exercising regularly to develop her back muscles.
- The story was later developed into a novel.
- The island has developed its economy around tourism.
- The course is designed to develop your writing skills.
- A blossom develops from a bud.
- The doctor says that the child is developing normally.
- In this class, we will be learning about how languages develop.
- Scientists are developing a treatment for the disease.
- The company has developed a new method for recycling old tires.
- He develops the concept more fully in his book.
RELATED TO DEVELOP