Buffalo Community Bulletin
Blackshear Elementary - August 2022
Message from Mrs. Baker
Thank you for your continued support of Blackshear! I loved seeing so many families at our Chic Fil A Spirit Night this past week, these nights contribute greatly to how our PTO can support teachers, students, and our campus. We also want to shoutout our local Cub Scout Pack 1201 for getting our Learning Garden ready for students this weekend. They cleaned, mowed, built, and put some work in to creating a wonderful space for our classes. I am so grateful that our community comes out time and again for Blackshear!
A couple of REMINDERS:
- Families must apply for free lunches this year. Students will be bringing cafeteria balances home this week. Please sign up with School Cafe for more information.
- Transportation changes must go through the front office prior to 2:30 PM. We will provide your child with a red note indicating the change.
- School starts at 8:05, students are missing instruction when they are tardy. Students getting to school after 8:10 must be walked inside and signed in by an adult. Attendance counts EVERY DAY!
Thank you for your help with these campus needs.
We use REMIND to regularly communicate with families. If you have not been getting the weekly messages, please make sure to join now. BLACKSHEAR REMIND LINK
Please reach out if you need anything email@example.com
Mrs. Davis works tirelessly to meet the needs of each one of her students. She builds a relationship with her students and their parents from day one which makes the difficult conversations easier to have.
Mrs. Davis ALWAYS has a great attitude, no matter the challenges she faces.
Ms. Territo makes art fun. My son chose art in middle school because of her. She also has done car rider duty for more than a few years. Her dedication to students and parents is exceptional.
Paul Perez and Susan Williamson
Mr. Perez and Ms. Susan has help our daughter Jayme adjust to school in a lot of ways we never thought could happen. They both are very sweet and amazing with Jayme and continue to help her come out of her shell and not be terrified of school. We are so very grateful for them. And we appreciate them both very much.
Mrs. Davis ALWAYS has a great attitude, no matter the challenges she faces.
Paul Perez and Susan Williamson
Is there an Amazing Blackshear Staff member you'd like to celebrate?
We love celebrating Blackshear Elementary! Follow us on social media to see the amazing things your children and their teachers are doing to support EVERY student at Blackshear. We are on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram (@blackshear_elem_kisd)
Peach Jar Flyers
Parents and Teachers – Sign Up Today for a Peach Jar account. Peach Jar is a communication tool used at Blackshear to promote School Events.
Don’t miss out on information regarding school family nights, spirit nights, etc.
Sign up today! https://accounts.peachjar.com/signup
5th Grade Strings
It is time to register for the Klein ISD 5th Grade Strings Program! if you are interested in enrolling in strings class, please note the information below:
- Please read through the handbook and fill out the registration form (google form) in addition to paying the registration fee via SchoolCash Online (link provided in handbook).
- Registration will close on Thursday, September 1st at noon. After this time, you will receive a link to a sign up genius from your child's fifth grade strings teacher to sign up for a sizing night appointment at Klein Cain High School. This is so that teachers can make sure you acquire the appropriate sized instrument for your child, and that your child has the opportunity to try out the instrument they would like to play.
- From here, your child's fifth grade strings teacher will be in touch about class schedule and program information.
- 9/1 - Drills: Secure, Hazmat
- 9/5 - Labor Day Holiday
- 9/6 - Fiiz Spirit Day ALL DAY
- 9/6 - Coffee with the Principal - 8:15 - Library
- 9/8 - Watch Dog Night - 6:00 - 7:30 pm
- 9/13 - Big Kahuna Fundraiser Kick Off
- 9/30 - Spring Creek Athletics Spirit Night 7-11 pm
- 10/4 - Character Book Parade - 9:00 AM
- 10/4 - General PTO Meeting - 5:40 PM
- 10/4 - Fall Open House - Literacy Night - 6:00 - 7:30 PM
- 10/5 - Fire Drill
Smart Tag IDs
As we prepare for the upcoming school year, we remind you of our student identification cards used at all elementary campuses. The primary use for elementary student identification cards are for riding Klein ISD transportation to ensure each student gets on safely and gets off at the correct location. These cards remain on the students backpacks for quick identification and use as needed. Please note that our students are always supervised by a properly identified Klein ISD employee while on our campuses or on our buses. In case any student Smart Tag ID gets lost, the cost of replacement is $5.00.
COMMUNITY Bulletin Counselor Corner 22-23
Hello Buffalo Community! Please allow me to introduce myself if you don’t already know me. I am Lisa Hales, the librarian here at Blackshear. I will be on here weekly to give you updates about the happenings in the library. This past week, we kicked off with an interactive expectations lesson. We will continue the lesson this coming week since most students are on an A/B schedule. Library time is divided into three parts; a lesson, check-out, and independent reading/activity. When your child checks out a book(s), he or she will need to return the books on their next library visit in order to check out more books. HERE is the lesson I shared with the students this past week and will continue this week. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breakfast and Lunch
Breakfast and lunch are NOT free for all students this year. Please make sure to complete the application for Free or Reduced Priced meals in Skyward during enrollment update. Reach out if you have questions or need assistance.
We encourage families to apply for Free and Reduced Meals, by visiting https://www.schoolcafe.com/KLEINISD and complete the application. The application will open in a new window. Please complete the application and return to this screen or complete the application after submitting your enrollment/registration forms.
Front office will not be accepting any drop off lunches. Information about school meals. Students who forget their lunch will be provided one from the cafeteria. CLICK HERE to preview the menu for our Blackshear Cafeteria. Class lunch schedules will be shared by individual teachers.
Blackshear Lunch Visitor Days 2022-2023 - Starting Monday SEPTEMBER 12th
We are excited to welcome parents back to Blackshear for lunch visits! In order to be able to comfortably accommodate the large number of students eating lunch in the cafeteria at one time, it is necessary to assign days for parents to eat lunch with students.
Grade level assigned lunch days are listed below. Lunch visitors on days other than the assigned day will be permitted with prior permission from campus administration and will be limited to special circumstances such as birthdays, out of town visitors, etc.
Kindergarten - Monday
1st Grade - Tuesday
2nd Grade - Wednesday
Pre - K and 3rd Grade - Thursday
4th and 5th Grade - Friday
ALL visitors must check in in the front office. Please bring ID to receive your temporary badge.
Arrival - Doors OPEN at 7:45
Doors will open at 7:45 for all students, please do not leave your child unsupervised before this time. If you are bringing your child to school, there are two options for drop off. Please review the procedures for each option and reach out with any questions.
Walk Up Drop Off:
- Use Gold Lot ONLY
- Pull head first into space, TWO cars per space please.
- Parent must escort student all the way to FRONT DOOR.
- Buses and Daycare have the right of way.
- TURN LEFT when exiting lot onto Lacey Rd. as to not drive into our walkers and bikers crossing street.
- Please do not leave children at front door until 7:45.
Car Rider Drop Off:
- Use Red Lot ONLY
- Follow staff direction for the safety of all.
- Drive through lanes, pull all the way up to stop sign.
- Cars will split into TWO lanes at the last turn, by the buffalo statue.
- Students stay in car until all cars are stopped in the drop off zone.
- Parents do not move car to leave until stop sign drops.
- NO walk up parents.
- Please do not release students from your car until 7:45
- Students should be walking/riding off property, NOT to a car in the parking lot. The only cars moving in our parking lots at dismissal are following the car rider procedures.
- PreK - 1st grade walkers will be held in the students area until their parent comes to pick them up. Parent will need to have the transportation Tag or photo of it to pick up child from walker area.
- 2nd-5th Grade Walkers will be escorted from the building and walked to the crossing guards by a Blackshear teacher.
- Please keep pets at a distance from students on property. An accidental bite or scratch can be a liability for Blackshear.
If you are driving to pick up your child, we encourage all parents to use the car rider line and yellow tags. It is safe, organized, and has become more efficient with practice.
If you choose to park off campus, please follow these safety measures:
- state law states that you cannot park within 30 feet of a stop sign.
- parking in front of a drive way is liable to be towed or ticketed.
- pedestrians, especially our amazing students, always have the right of way
- drive slower than the posted speed limit to be able to keep watch for students
- Please pull in the middle of the lane when turning into parking lot to get in line.
- Every car rider must have a Car Rider number and tags. Please attach small tag to your child's backpack to help us find car tag numbers quickly while students are still learning their car tag numbers. If you need a tag, you can come up to the front office to get one or email email@example.com or call the front office, we will deliver one to your child.
Parents who pick students up in bus lot must have a YELLOW SIGN to park in bus lot. All other parents picking up students in a car will need to get in car rider line and get a Neon Green tag. Thank you for following our dismissal procedures.
Per Klein's medication policy; ALL medications at the elementary school level will be kept in the nurse’s office and administered by the nurse or another authorized district employee. At this level, these medications must be brought to and picked up at the clinic by a parent or guardian in the original container, where it will be inventoried with the parent or guardian. This includes prescription medication, all over the counter medications and cough drops.
If you would like to sign in any medication to the clinic, please make sure you bring the medication in its original packaging. School personnel must follow manufacturer’s non-prescription medication administration directions; therefore, non-prescription medications will only be administered for a period of two weeks or less if indicated by manufacture with written parental permission. A physician’s note will be required for any non-prescription medication needed for longer than two weeks.
For more information please see Klein's Student Handbook.
If you have any questions I am happy to help.