South Maple Elementary Newsletter
March 3..............Irish Dancers Assembly sponsored by PTO
...........................Blast Off Into Reading! Readathon begins
March 10............Report Cards home with students
March 24............Reading is Magic Assembly sponsored by PTO
March 27-31.......No School Spring Break
April 7.................No School Good Friday
April 14...............Kid's Night Out
May 11...............SME Spring Sing
Blast Off Into Reading!
For the past ten years, South Maple students have been asked to raise money during March for the Readathon. This is our BIGGEST fundraiser! It raises money for classroom items, field trips, and special school events.
This year’s Readathon starts Friday, March 3 and runs through Friday, March 24. The theme this year is Blast Off Into Reading! Each class will be on a team with other classes in the school to work together towards reading the most minutes, collecting sponsors and earning prizes!
Here’s how the Readathon works:
1. Set a goal for reading. How many minutes will you read during the month of March?
2. Read and record the minutes you read each day. At the end of the week, have a parent fill out the weekly log. You can do this on the paper or Google form.
3. Find family and friends to sponsor you. They can give you a set amount or an amount for each minute you read.
Additional information will be coming your way soon!
Hubbardston Irish Dance Troupe Assembly
Friday, March 3rd all SME students will walk to Gaylord Middle School and enjoy watching the Hubbardston Irish Dance Troupe perform. The performance begins at 10:30AM and will last for approximately 45 minutes. Our lunch schedule will be adjusted. Thanks to SME PTO for sponsoring this performance.
Let's all wear green in celebration of the dance!
Parents will receive confirmation via Text and/or E-mail through Gaylord Schools Messaging System of route number, at that time we will have AM and PM estimated pick-up and drop-off times located on the GCS Webpage. Please allow extra time in the beginning as we are establishing routes.
Breakfast and Lunch Information
Gaylord Community Schools has mailed the free and reduced lunch applications. If your child qualifies, please fill out the application and return via mail, email, or applications may be done online by visiting https://www.gaylordschools.com/free-and-reduced-meal-eligibility Questions, please call 989-731-0969, ext. 1254.
Thank you for sending breakfast/lunch money in a clearly labeled envelope. ALL cold lunch students purchasing milk will be charged $0.50.
SME Arrival/Dismissal Information
- The student day will begin at 7:40AM and ends at 2:24PM.
- As many of you are aware morning and afternoon traffic is very congested in our area. Please drive safely and follow traffic laws. The arrival/dismissal attachment below will provide detailed information.
- SME staff will assist all students in locating their classrooms. Please say your goodbye before they board the bus or when they exit your vehicle, this includes the first day of school.
2023-24 School Year
South Maple Elementary will be accepting teacher requests for the 2023-24 school year from April 3rd -April 14th. The link to the teacher request form will be sent in the April Newsletter.
Please note: While all requests will be considered, they cannot be guaranteed. Placements will be based primarily on our students’ needs, class size, and creating balanced classes. Additionally, there is always the possibility that teachers will not stay in the same positions or teaching teams from year to year.