School Community Newsletter ~ 10/31/21
Hello, Parents and Guardians,
Happy Halloween! The students and parents had a wet and wild time on Friday night! Many thanks to all of the PTA volunteers, especially Stacy Riggs, for their time, effort, and generosity shown to put together this Spooktacular event for the students.
We have a few friendly reminders and Important Events & Dates to share:
- Tonight, 10/31/21 @ midnight - The PTA spirit wear holiday store will close
- Monday, 11/1/21 is the first day of the 2nd quarter which brings new Creative Arts rotations for 7th & 8th graders and those students entering or exiting Intervention Classes.
- Monday, 11/1/21 @ 12:30-2:45 Shield Testing for students enrolled in the Shield Testing Program
- Tuesday, 11/2/21 - PTA Reflections submissions are due
Wednesday, 11/3/21 at 6 pm - Wrestling Parent Informational Meeting in the Commons
Thursday, 11/4/21 from 5-8 pm - Portillos Student Council Adopt-A-Family Fundraiser
Friday, 11/5/21 - Report Cards will be emailed home
In this newsletter you'll also find highlights on the following items:
2nd Quarter Indoor Lunch Structure
TMS Student Council Lou's Pizza Fundraiser & Food Drive
ABC25 Get Burbed Challenge ~ Design Contest
TMS DEN Club Red Ribbon Week - Donut Do Drugs Activity
TMS tradition of honoring loved ones on Veterans Day - student submissions due Friday, 11/5/21.
Thank you and take care,
Lori, Greg, & Nick
2nd Quarter begins tomorrow ~ Monday, 11/1/21
Indoor Lunch Structure
- The lunch periods will consist of two 20-minute segments. Homerooms will have 20 minutes in an assigned classroom for socialization and or independent work time (Note, Chromebooks are allowed but cell phones must remain in lockers at all times) and 20 minutes of eating time in the Commons where the students are seated 6 feet apart.
- Please note that other D25 schools also schedule the lunch eating time for 20 minutes.
- Please speak with your child about how to best manage their 20 minutes of eating time.
- Please avoid dropping lunch off for your child. TMS continues to provide free hot lunch daily with a variety of options. With the new lunch structure, it would be helpful to limit the movement of students around the building.
- At the 20 minute mark, students will rotate locations. Students will not stop at lockers during this transition time. Students should bring all materials with them to the Commons.
- Attendance will be taken during the classroom time of the lunch period. Students are expected to report to their assigned homeroom location and check in with the lunch supervisor.
- When possible, the students may be given an option to eat outside.
- FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) With the indoor lunch it's likely that your child may be disappointed in the lunch structure as they may feel they are missing out on socialization with peers that are not in their homeroom. Please help your child understand that the homeroom lunch structures are in place due to safety measures that help ensure we can keep all of the TMS students attending school in person.
- Please contact TMS admins if you are willing to work the lunch periods as we are seeking lunch supervisors that can be at TMS daily for all three lunch periods.
Veterans Day ~ Thursday, 11/11/21
Veterans Day honors all of those who have served our country in war or peace — dead or alive — and gives thanks to the living veterans for their sacrifices. At Thomas Middle School we take great pride in honoring veterans connected to the Wolf Pack community.
Due to current Covid-19 mitigations, this year's celebration will be a virtual presentation. All students and staff are welcome to submit a photo or short video that shares the story of this veteran/loved one who has served our country. Submissions will be accepted until 3:00 on Friday, November 5th, 2021.
EXTRA MASKS NEEDED PLEASE!!
- MASK SUPPLIES: Please make sure your child brings 2-3 masks to school each day in the event that a replacement mask is needed. While we have extra masks on hand, it's helpful for the students to have backups.
- MASK WEARING: Please speak with your child about proper mask-wearing that includes covering the nose.
- MASK BREAKS: These are provided as needed for students throughout the school day.
TMS PTA - Meeting Tuesday, 11/16/21 @ 7 PM Join us In-Person or Via Zoom!
All parents, guardians, and staff are welcome to be members of the PTA. As a member of the PTA, you are welcome to attend the monthly meetings, share suggestions, discuss events, and volunteer your time.
The Parent-Teacher-Association meets monthly on the following dates:
Tuesday, 11/16/21 - 7 PM PLEASE CLICK HERE TO RSVP!
Wednesday, 1/12/22, Tuesday, 2/15/22 - 7 PM, March - TBD, Tuesday, 4/12/22, May - TBD
2021-2022 PTA Officers:
President: Amy Hoffman
President-Elect: Suzanne Krause
Vice President: Melissa Teuscher
Treasurer: Kelly Spokas
Secretary: Deborah Oiler
Do you have questions for the PTA? Email the PTA at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions please email Connie and Jenny at: ThomasMSHospitality@gmail.com
SAVE THE DATE... 4/30/22 - 10th ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge!
Mark your calendars for April 30, 2022 for the 10th ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge! We are looking forward to having our district students, families and staff together again for our 5K and 1 Mile events! The ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge is the only district wide event and raises money to provide grants to teachers and staff through the ABC/25 Foundation. Please follow ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge on Facebook or Twitter for all race information or visit us at abcchallenge.org. We hope to see everyone there!
Design Contest for the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge
It's time to let your imagination run (pun intended) wild! All D25 students have the opportunity to submit a design for the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge official race shirt and posters! These shirts will be worn by close to 1000 participants at the ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge on April 30, 2022. The design winner also gets to help select the color of the shirt! Official rules and regulations and t-shirt design forms can be found at abc25challenge.org/tshirt. Submissions are due back to your school office by December 3, 2021. Please follow ABC/25 Get Burbed Challenge on Facebook or Twitter for all race information or visit us at abc25challenge.org. We hope to see everyone there!
Join the ABC/25 Foundation
Please consider joining the ABC/25 Foundation.
The link to join is: JOIN ABC/25.
The cost is $25 for staff members and $40 for families to join.
The ABC/25 Foundation provides powerful grants that schools can earn which can benefit all students.
If you have questions, please contact:
ABC/25 Foundation President
GENERAL D25 BUS INFORMATION
If your child is a bus rider, the bus information and bus passes are sent to you by Laura Comastro from our transportation department.
Her contact information is:(847) 758-4888 or email@example.com
Please direct all transportation and bussing questions to Laura Comastro.
NOTE: Students are now required to show their bus pass each day.
Click here for details on the SD25 2021-2022 COVID-19 PROTOCOLS & GUIDELINES