With One Voice
News & Notes from St. Francis of Assisi School
"That together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." ~ Romans 15:6
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." ~ Matthew 5:14-16
Mobile viewed best in your browser.
October 14, 2020
Our sixth-grade Design class made straw rockets to test at home. Hands-on learning (safely!) is what SFA is all about!
Our teachers inspire a love of learning- in person, and from a distance!
Our Preschool 4s did a science experiment to learn about germs!
WOV AUDIO EDITION
WOV 10 - 14 - 2020 by John D'Adamo
- 10/16 - SCHOOL CLOSED - Staff Professional Day
- 10/21 - Interim reports distributed
- 10/27 - Individual photos for Pre-K and Distance Learners
- 11/8 - SFA TURKEY LUNCH, online pre-order only, curbside pick-up 12:30-6 PM
The latest calendar updates can always be found at https://sfa-school.org/calendar
SFA TURKEY LUNCH RAFFLE
Welcome to the 2020 SFA Turkey LUNCH Raffle! It will be very different this year, but your participation is more important than ever! This year's raffle, like so much of life during the pandemic, has been moved online.
- Here is the link! https://go.rallyup.com/sfaturkeyraffle
- The prizes for this year's raffle remain cash-based! The grand prize is $1,000, 2nd prize is $250, and 3rd prize is $100. Additionally, the top seller will receive a $100 prize.
- The Raffle drawing will take place on Tuesday November 24th, NOT the day of the Lunch.
- As outlined in the tuition agreement and the school handbook, every student is asked to support this fundraiser through the sale of $30 in raffle tickets. This year the way that happens is through sharing the link! So please go online to the raffle website and share, share, share! Post it on social media, and ask all of your contacts to select your child(ren) to receive credit for the purchase! Your child also has an individual fundraising page to help make this easy!
- Thank you in advance for your ongoing support of our school! This major fundraiser is vital to our ongoing operations support and critical to our capacity to keep tuition affordable.
- Information about ordering your Gourmet Turkey Lunch for curbside pick-up and the online Silent Auction will be coming soon!
FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT...
- We encourage you to review this website in advance of any future travel and let us know in advance if you plan to be in any states considered a hotspot (10% or greater positivity) - https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity.
- Archdiocesan policy prohibits entry to the school building for two weeks after visiting a state with a greater than 10% positivity rate.
- Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, it will NOT be possible to have students wear costumes on Friday 10/30 in recognition of Halloween.
- However, we are encouraging students that day to wear black/orange as a free dress down day, or to wear thematic t-shirts based on the direction of their homeroom teacher.
- In certain grade levels, individually wrapped, commercially purchased candy will be distributed to in-person learners. If this happens, the candy will be brought in to sit without contact at least 24 hours in advance.
- Students learning remotely may wear a costume item as long as it does not obscure their face in the camera.
- We encourage students in all grades and instructional modes to dress up separately and to email your photo to Jenny Yukna at email@example.com. We hope to put together a community slideshow in lieu of a parade this year!
FAMILY INCOME SURVEY - REQUIRED!!
FROM THE SCHOOL NURSE...
October is Dental Hygiene Month, so here are a few fun facts to get you and your kids more engaged in your Dental Health!
- Human Teeth are as strong as Shark Teeth!
- If you don't floss, you miss cleaning 35% of your tooth surface. So FLOSS like a Boss.
- More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones.
- It takes 17 muscles to SMILE and 43 muscles to FROWN. Stay Calm and SMILE On.
- Skip the Sugar this Halloween! Here are some alternatives to candy for treats: granola bars, raisins, vampire fangs, glow sticks, yoyos, stickers, bubbles, bat/spider rings, temporary tattoos, pencils, apples
- With a school nurse on staff this year, we are ensuring the medical files are up to date and accurate, so if you receive an email from the nurse, please respond if you have any questions and provide the requested the documentation. Thank you to everyone who has submitted their updated immunization records and Health Inventories so far!
FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR...
- During these stressful times we are all in need of self-care and support from our community more than ever. I wanted to share local as well as digital resources to help you as you navigate these pandemic days.
- Phillip McKnight offers affordable Nature Based Mindful Coaching for all ages and will see families as well. I am currently enrolled in a 6 week Nature Based Stress Reduction class for teachers and school staff that is being taught by Phillip along with a Mindfulbased Counselor. I highly recommend Phillip, click here to learn more: https://www.cmhcweb.com/mindfulnesscoaching?utm_campaign=a75e1cc9-90ff-46ee-a1c2-e84d3b0ca440&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=fe99b09d-b752-4973-9b59-4eb0f0b3abb4
- In addition, Mariposa offers virtual classes and coaching for parents: https://www.mariposaeducation.org/ Click here to learn about the free one hour class they offer every Wednesday at noon: https://mariposa-education.mykajabi.com/sign-up-free-workshop-summer-2020-promoting-resilience-caregivers
- Finally, some apps I recommend: I AM (thanks Ms. DiPietro for sharing this), Calm, Head Space and Smiling Mind.
- Please don't hesitate to reach out if you would like to schedule a time for me to meet with you, your student and/or family. firstname.lastname@example.org
Get SFA branded items delivered to your house in time for Christmas!
Pro Tip: Click the name of the school on the left side to see products! A percentage of every purchase goes directly to support SFA! More items to come! Get your SOAR Swag!
SFA PARISH NEWS & EVENTS
RACIAL JUSTICE CIRCLE
The Racial Justice Circle strives to educate and inspire people of faith to recognize and then to act to eliminate systemic racial injustice and everyday incidents of bias and discrimination. The wounds of racism will only begin to heal when people of all races seek to understand and respect one another. To change human behavior, we must change the human heart.
10/21, 10/28, 11/4, & 11/11 7pm-8:30pm
All are invited to attend these four ZOOM meetings to watch segments of an inspiring film “Cracking the Codes: the System of Racial Inequality,"video clips from noted writer Ibram X Kendi, share readings from author Isabel Wilkerson, and others. The Racial Justice Circle, members from 15 Catholic parishes, will help facilitate meaningful dialogue in large and small groups.
To register, please use this link: https://rb.gy/Olto3n
TOGETHER WE PRAY...
- For +Betty Garman Robinson, that she might rest in eternal peace, and for her family grieving her at this difficult time.
- For those affected by the wildfires out West, for the safety of those combatting them, and for an increased embrace of stewardship for our planet in the midst of climate change.
- For all those affected by the Coronavirus, as well as all those tending to the sick, and all those working to advance the cause of science towards cure/treatment.
For the fostering of productive dialogue and real action around social justice, equity, elimination of bias, and the healing of the wounds of systemic racism in our nation.
For +Shannon Reviere, that she might rest in eternal peace, and the entire Reviere family, that they might be consoled in their grief.
For all victims of violence in our city, our nation, and our world.
- For the victims and survivors of cancer, as well as those who continue to fight!
Prayer requests may always be sent to email@example.com.