MESSAGE FROM MR. SMITH, PRINICIPAL
Dear CTA Liberty Families,
The weather is starting to warm up and the end of the 2020-2021 school year is fast approaching. With the end of year, we start to plan on how to say goodbye to our 6th grade students and how we celebrate our kindergarten students completing their first year. As COVID guidance changes, we are tasked with balancing our district’s guidance and adapting back to some of our traditions prior to COVID. For our Kindergarten and 6th grade parents, please keep an eye out for information about the end of the year.
Over the past year, I believe our mitigation strategies served us well and now that some restrictions are being lifted, we will move ahead cautiously, with our students and staff best interests in mind. Our plan at Liberty is to change slowly. This will allow us to continue to provide structure and routine for our students, while continuing to follow district guidance. An example of a slow change is at the beginning of the year we created four zones on our playground and student cohorts rotated between the zones. As we scale back, we will move to two zones and then back to the full playground.
Our planning for the 2021-2022 school year is well underway. As I have mentioned before, our student enrollment determines how many teachers each grade level has and when that number goes up or down, so does the staffing. As of March 31, 2021, one of my biggest challenges is staffing 6th grade. We have sixty-five students, unfortunately, this number does not require four, 6th grade teachers but rather three, 6th grade teachers. Therefore, we have to be creative on how we provide quality instruction in all subject areas for all students. At this point, we are creating a three-way rotation that includes the DLI students and the conventional students rotating between the three teachers. This will allow our teachers to remain teaching their specialized content area. Again, if student enrollment changes we will adjust accordingly. Our Kinder through 5th grade enrollment is slightly down and I am anticipating four teachers at each grade level and possibly five teachers where the enrollment is higher. In addition, our Pre-Kinder class is close to capacity and we will welcome our Pre-Kinder students next year. I will keep you all updated as changes occur.
We hope to return to our normal “Meet the Teacher” evening in July, and to get our wonderful volunteers back on campus when we get the approval. We will have a backup plan just in case restrictions are still in place. Also, with so many changes occurring this last year and new procedures put in place, it allowed us time to look at campus safety in a different way. We will continue some safety practices that are NOT related to COVID but are sound safety measures we need to keep in place. In years prior, visitors were allowed access to the campus and playground without having to sign in at the front office. Entering into the 21-22 school year, we will only allow visitors on campus through the office and our playground will be for staff and students only. Our temporary pickup/drop off plan worked well this school year however we are still evaluating our plan for the 21-22 school year.
Overall, I think we managed this year as well as possible with our staff being flexible and adjusting to every challenge. We are so grateful that families were also able to adjust to last minute changes and for the support our families have given CTA Liberty and the Liberty community. I am the most proud of our students and the resiliency they have shown. Our students have been faced with different rules, different expectations, different challenges, and to our amazement, our students did an outstanding job. It is a true credit to our families, staff, and students that have worked together to tackle each obstacle, supporting each other and creating a positive learning environment. I know we are all ready to move forward, some faster than others are, but we need to continue to stay on our path and keep our focus on the students.
May you all have a wonderful holiday weekend and enjoy each day with your family and I look forward to students and staff returning safely next week.
Mr. Anthony M. Smith
Chandler Innovation Fair - 5th Grade Winners
Project: What is the Best Way to Keep Ice From Melting
Invention: Ice Cooler - Tested three different containers to see what would keep ice the coolest, for the longest period of time.
Winners: Grace Mongoven, Skylar Couch, Olivia Hoang
Click the link below to view the virtual awards ceremony::
Congratulations! We are so proud of you!
Honor Band and Orchestra Recipients
Honor Band - From Mr. Lennex, Band Teacher
Jonas Turner, 6th Grade
- Jonas is always striving to play new things on his flute. He works ahead and practices not only songs that have been assigned, but ones that he wants to learn. Though he has often been the only 6th grader in band class this year, he has maintained his motivation to learn and enjoy music. Jonas will be a member of the Cadet Band at Willis Jr High School next year.
Honor Orchestra - From Mrs. Lawlor, Orchestra Teacher
Ysabellah Ryan. 5th Grade:
- Ysabella is very passionate about music. She comes to orchestra class with a positive attitude and a smile on her face each day. She practices on a regular basis, works hard, and is dedicated to learning the violin. Ysabellah not only learns all the music in class, but she brings additional music from home. Her dedication to orchestra is admirable.
Caitlin Oakeson, 6th Grade
- Caitlin has participated in orchestra class in 5th and 6th grade. Her dedication to orchestra is admirable. She inspires others around her to participate and demonstrates leadership skills on a regular basis. Caitlin always asks questions and is interested to continuously learn more about playing the cello.
Yearbook Sales - April 16th Last Day to Order
Presale of CTA Liberty 2020-21 Yearbooks has ended and the price is now $20.
Online ordering instructions:
- Visit Pictavo at: https://commpe.pictavo.com/PictavoSchool/FindSchool
- Click or Tap, Find your school
- State/Provide: Arizona
- City: Chandler
- School: CTA Liberty Campus
- Click or Tap, "Let's Go"
- Click or Tap, Shop my School
- Click or Tap, Add to Cart"
- Enter your student's information
- Ordering a 2nd or 3rd yearbook? Click or Tap, "Add to Cart"
- Complete your purchase
The final day to order a yearbook is Friday, April 16, 2021,
Yearbook sales are only available online. Orders/money will not be taken at the front office.
STUCO Spring Flowergram Fund-Raiser - April 28, 29 & 30
- April 28, 29 and 30
Student council will be taking orders for Flowergrams during drop off and pick up. They are two for $1 and will be delivered with a Tootsie Roll Pop and a small note to let the recipient know who it is from. The Flowergrams will be delivered through student's homeroom teachers the following week, so everyone stays safe and health while we follow our COVID protocols.
STUCO Gathers Letters for Frontline Heroes!
CTA Liberty to Welcome Pre-K Dual Language Exploration - 2021-22 School Year
Registration is now open for the 2021-22 school year and CTA Liberty will be offering Pre-K dual language exploration and exposure in Spanish.
- Classes led by certified Early Childhood Education Teachers
- Rigorous academic curriculum in support of literacy, math, skills, STEM and social , emotional learning
- Extended before and after school care
Read more here including pricing and registration information:
Spring Book Fair - April 9th through April 16th
- Friday, April 9th through Friday April 16th
- During School Hours
- Only open to students to shop
It will look different this year, but is still exciting! Look for more information from Mrs. Tollefson as it get closer.
Don't want to send cash to school? Use Scholastic eWallet! It is like a virtual gift card. More information on our book fair website can be found here:
Arizona MERIT (AZM2) and Arizona Science (AZ SCI) Assessments
- AZM2 for 3rd through 6th Grade - April 5th through 7th
- AZ SCI for 5th grade only - April 13th
It is very important that your student is here and on time to school each testing day. If possible, please plan appointments and vacations for another time. Please keep in mind that once a student starts a test, they must finish the test within that testing period. Students cannot leave in the middle of a testing period and finish the test at another time. Thank you for your support and understanding.
At a later time if your student needs to borrow a device, arrangements can be made through CTA Liberty by contacting Jessica Burke at 480-883-4903.
No Cell Phones Please
Information from the City of Chandler:
Portable Wireless Communication Device law in full effect now
Distracted driving is dangerous and drivers should keep their focus on the road and not their cell phone. Beginning Jan. 1, 2021, the new statewide Portable Wireless Communication Device law is in full effect, and police officers can issue citations.
The bill prohibits the following activities while driving:
- Physically holding or supporting a portable wireless communication device or stand-alone electronic device; or
- Writing, sending or reading any text-based communication, including text messages, instant messages, email or internet data on a portable wireless communication device or stand-alone electronic device.
Check out the state statue (HB2318) for complete details.
*SOCIAL EMOTIONAL COGNITIVE LEARNING (SECL) NEWS*
PTO Open/General Meeting - April 13th
*The Virtual Raffle Fundraiser winners will be announced.
If you have any questions or fundraising ideas, please email Kara Collum-LaMarca at President@CTALibertyPTO.org
CTA Liberty PTO Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/CTALIBERTYPTO
CTA Liberty PTO Website: www.ctalibertypto.org
PTO "Virtual Raffle" Fund-Raiser - March 29th through April 12th
When: March 29th through April 12th
Raffle Items to Include:
- ONN 50" Smart TV
- Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones
- Sharper Image Drone
- Instant Pot (6 Quart)
- Jetson Strike All-Terrain Hoverboard
- Dermaplane Treatment
- Mini Family Photoshoot
- Five Free Studio Sessions at As You Wish
- Main Event Family Four Pack
- 3D Mini Golf Family Four Pack
- O.H.S.O. Gift Basket
100% of the proceeds go back to the school! Winners will be announced at the April 13th PTO Board Meeting.
Thank you for supporting CTA Liberty!
Restaurant Night at MOD Pizza - April 22nd
Date: April 22, 2021 from 10:30 am to 10:00 pm
- 830 W. Warner Road, Suite 101, Gilbert
- 20% of the proceeds will go to CTA Liberty
Two ways to order:
- Tell the cashier you're supporting CTA Liberty.
- Order online: Choose pickup, select the correct location, build your order and then use the code GR178410C before checkout in the "Promo" field. Don't forget to click "Apply". Your pickup must be within the hours of our fundraiser.
Below is a link to our fundraiser website:
Thank you for supporting CTA Liberty!
As a reminder:
- Drop Off in the morning is no earlier than 7:45 am. Although building doors may be unlocked, students are not allowed on campus until 7:45 am.
- The back gate closes at 8:05 am to allow teachers to report to their classrooms. If the back gate is closed you must drop your student off through the front gate and follow the drop off rules. Please do have your student exit your car until they have reached a teacher at the front of the line.
- Please do not block crosswalks.
- The weather is slowing changing. Please have your student dressed appropriately for the weather. If they wear a jacket or sweater to school, please be sure it is dress code approved (red, white or blue) and clearly labeled with the student's name.
- Face masks are required on campus for all students, teachers and staff.
- Only students and staff are allowed on campus. If you need to drop off (including late students) or pick up a student, drop off (including water bottles or lunches) or pick up any type of materials, please remain in your car and call the front office at 480-883-4900. A staff member will be out to assist you.
- After school clubs: No parents/guardians are allowed on campus for after school clubs. Students will be directed to their club location by staff and parents/guardians should pick up at the appropriate time in the south parking lot (front of school near the flag). The club sponsor will stay with the students until they are picked up.
Thank you for your support!