Japan's population as of 2014 is 127,253,075.
Japan is made up of islands surrounded by water. In relationship to Japan, Russia is to the north, Philippines to the south, and South Korea to the west. The Pacific Ocean is to the east of Japan with no country quite near.
People and Places
- A Japanese book would start on what Americans consider the back page, because the Japanese start their writing from the right.
- In Japan there are more people per square mile than about any other place in the world.
- Over 80% of Japan practices Buddhism and/or Shinto.
- The total land size of Japan is slightly smaller than the state of California.
- Japan created the brand names of Sony, Panasonic, Honda, Mazda, Canon, and Nintendo.
- Japan has to import around half of the food they eat because its hard to farm on the land.
- Many Japanese people in the cities use public transportation.
- Japan's royal family is important even though the emperor has no real power.