SLP Superintendent's Newsletter
Week of September 10, 2018
SUPERINTENDENT PATRICK JENKINS
Lessons and Activities to Share with Your Teachers
SLPSB / NETWORK NORTH Calendar
Independent Insurance Enrollment
Fri, Sep 7 toTue, Sep 18
Mon, Sep 10 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM
MONTHLY ADMINISTRATORS MEETING
Tue, Sep 11 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM
SLP Arts in Education Showcase sponsored by Acadiana Center for the Arts (AcA)
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Educator Academy: Grade 6 Science
Wed, Sep 12 3:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Opelousas Jr. High Open House
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Port Barre Elementary Open House
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM
English Language Arts Professional Development: Grade 5
Thu, Sep 13 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Sat, Sep 15 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Educator Academy: Grades 6 - 7 Mathematics
Tue, Sep 18 3:30 PM – 6:00 PM
The Gold Standard
For gold to become pure gold it takes a process. As one writer explains. “Gold has to be heated and reheated and reheated several times for the alloys and impurities to be brought to the surface, where the goldsmith can remove them. The students are the gold and you, the principals, are the goldsmith. If you forget that becoming pure is a process and requires significant work (action), you risk becoming overwhelmed when you experience setbacks. Excellence in education, for every child every day!
Thought for the week… “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”- Helen Keller
Behavior expectations - Explain, Rehearse and Reinforce often.
Arts and Education Showcase
St. Landry Parish School District is pleased to announce their partnership with Acadiana Center for the Arts. The arts are a powerful teaching tool. The AcA's Arts in Education and Outreach programs provide arts experiences to students as well as tools to teachers for integrating the arts into the education experience. These programs are interdisciplinary learning adventures designed to connect real-life experiences with academic instruction through a broad range of quality arts events and workshops.
- See performances that you can bring to your school!
- Meet the Teaching Artists who can visit your class
- Visit with local arts & cultural organizations
- And there will be cupcakes!
Awards and recognitions:
Mr. Brent Boudreaux, Athletic Training & Career and Technical Education Teacher at Beau Chene High School. Mr. Boudreaux received the Gordon Reynolds Athletic Trainer’s Award this past school year. This award is given to an athletic trainer whose primary role and responsibility is to the high school student-athletes. Mr. Gordon Reynolds was the long-time athletic trainer at John Ehret High School until his retirement from the profession. In 2015, the LATA (Louisiana Athletic Trainers Association) Executive Committee rededicated and renamed this award to honor Gordon’s legacy of dedication, professionalism and high quality of care provided to the high school student-athletes. The qualities that Gordon Reynolds set forth for athletic trainers to follow – Mr. Brent Boudreaux exemplifies that on a daily basis.
Louisiana Athletic Trainers Association recognized Mr. Boudreaux was as the best Athletic Trainer for the state last school year.
Susan Mouton--- JAG Specialist Northwest High: Recently received the FASFA Fighter Award in recognition of having 100% of her JAG students complete their FASFA. Ms. Mouton was also chosen as one of 23 JAG Mentor teachers for the State of Louisiana.
Bryan Greene— (no picture available)JAG Specialist OJHS: Recently received JAG Middle School Peak Award for recognition of his meeting a national benchmark in his student Return-to-School Rate.
Reminder: Practice Test Access and Webinars
● Practice tests for high school have been available in teacher access since July and will be available for student access in September.
● Practice tests for grades 3-8 will be available in teacher access in September and in student access in January. Practice Test Webinars The Department will host three webinars in October and January for individuals who may need a refresher on using practice tests or those who are new to this resource.
● October 3 at 4:00 p.m.
● October 16 at 3:00 p.m.
● January 9 at 4:00 p.m.
Teachers and supervisors who attend this webinar will learn general information about resources and specific information about best uses and common misuses. Additional details regarding these webinars will be provided in the newsletter in September. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
New: Policy Updates and Reminders
New: Searching for Louisiana’s Next State Teacher and Principal of the Year
● Demonstrates excellence in the field, guiding students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve excellence
● Demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning
● Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success
Nominations must be submitted via the nominations portal by September 28. The portal may also be accessed by visiting the Department’s website. Nominations will be sent to the local school systems for consideration as they select their top candidates to participate in the state-level process. Please email email@example.com with questions.
Nomination form is linked below.
DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM - ANGELA CASSIMERE
Date Change for 2019 Teacher Leader Summit
The dates previously announced for the 2019 Teacher Leader Summit have changed. The Summit will now take place June 26-28, 2019 at the Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. More information will be forthcoming for teacher leaders and principals.
Administrator’s Meeting: Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Our next scheduled Administrator’s Meeting will take place on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 beginning with registration at 7:45 a.m. in the St. Landry Parish Resource Center. Our draft agenda is as follows:
· 8:00 a.m.: English Language Arts—Learnzillion (all administrators)
· 10:15 a.m.: 504 Compliance (all administrators)
· 1:00 p.m.: Mathematics—ZEARN (K – 4 administrators)
***Administrators, please bring your electronic device to the meeting.
Aspiring Leaders Academy
Beginning October 10, 2018!
The St. Landry Parish School Board's Aspiring Leaders Academy is designed to offer educational leaders who have obtained Educational Leadership certification as well as those who are working towards certification the opportunity to participate in research-based professional development to acquire the critical knowledge and skills to be instructional leaders and improve student achievement in their schools.
Patterned on the components of NISL's Executive Development Program (EDP), the academy seeks to prepare aspiring leaders to serve as strategic thinkers, instructional leaders, and creators of a just, fair, and caring community in which all students meet high standards. Please share the attached flyer with instructional staff members at your school.
The application can be found at the following link:
*Deadline for applications: September 27, 2018
Overview of Student Progress Measures
Target Field Grants
This grant is to support educational field trips for K-12 students. Awards will allow schools to fund trips to museums, historical sites, and other cultural destinations. Trips must connect students' classroom curricula to out-of-school experiences. Awards must be used to cover field trip costs and fees.
Eligible applicants are education professionals who are at least 18 years old and employed by an accredited K-12 public, private, or charter school that maintains a 501(c)(3) or 509(a)(1) tax-exempt status. Public agencies and libraries are also eligible.
Educators, teachers, principals, paraprofessionals, or classified staff of eligible institutions must be willing to plan and execute a field trip that will provide a demonstrable learning experience for students.
Applicants may receive only one award per school year.
Ineligible applicants include:
· Parents and volunteers
· Child care centers
· After-school programs
· Pre-K groups
· Educational institutions for regular instructional programs
· Religious organizations for religious purposes
· Athletic teams
· Advocacy or research groups
· Organizations that do not comply with the funding agency's non-discrimination policy
Applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. CT on October 1, 2018.
Applicants are required to complete an eligibility quiz online at www.cybergrants.com prior to submitting an application. Eligible applicants will be directed to the online application. Emailed or hard-copy applications will not be accepted.
The contents of the application will become available upon initiation of the online application process.
Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
· Description of the field trip and its objectives
· Benefits to the students, including overall student learning experience, relevance to curriculum, and number of students who may benefit from the award
· Proposed use of funds
· Date when field trip will be taken
Refer to the NOFA and FAQ files for additional application information.
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - TRESSA MILLER
SUPERVISOR OF SECONDARY ED - SPENCER ARNAUD
St. Landry Parish Reading and Math Pacing Guides (Grades 3-12)
Pacing guides and/or curriculum maps have been provided to all 3-12 teachers in ELA and Math. Please be sure teachers are adhering closely (within a reasonable timeframe) to these guides at your schools.
- One of the focus areas this year for both Math and ELA is to FULLY align Instruction and Assessment with Louisiana Standards & Assessment (for Grades 3 & above—this means PARCC). It is critical to make sure that teacher assessments are meeting the level of rigor and reflect the level of work which will be required on End-of-Year formal assessments. Please monitor this important aspect of learning at your school (Instructional Specialists can help in this area).
- Shorter, more frequent, FORMATIVE ASSESSMENTS (with feedback to improve) are also a focus this year. Please make sure teachers are incorporating ongoing formative assessments in all subject areas.
Guidebook 2.0 Materials
- Guidebook 2.0 materials will be delivered to your school from Office Depot and/or Barnes and Noble periodically throughout the school year. Please ensure that materials are delivered directly to the teachers of the grade level/unit title that appears on the package.
4. St. Landry Parish Detention Program
- St. Landry Parish Detention Program allocations have been emailed to all administrators. The attachments contain your allocation amounts, detention program instructions, detention program documentation form, payment request documents, and parent contact templates.
- Please send all documentation for the St. Landry Parish Detention Program to my office before the 5th of each month for the previous month. Include both the detention documentation form and the request for payment sheet. The date, number of hours, and student attendance must be documented in order for payment to be processed.
- Don’t hesitate to contact me if I can assist you or your faculty in any way.
SUPERVISOR OF CHILD WELFARE AND ATTENDANCE JEROME ROBINSON
The 2018 LASE Conference is coming soon! Mark your calendar.
Ø Dates: Sunday, November 11 – Monday, November 12, 2018.
Ø Location: Crowne Plaza Baton Rouge
Ø As in the past couple of years, there is no registration fee.
Attached is a tentative agenda, registration form and Principal of the Year information.
This conference will be time well spent, and I look forward to seeing you in November.
SUPERVISOR OF PERSONNEL - MATTHEW SCRUGGINS
PRAXIS Exam Workshop
PRAXIS Exam Workshop - Saturday, October 6, 2018
** Our Praxis Workshop on Saturday, October 6, 2018 will be for the following exams: SLLA Ed Leadership, PRAXIS CORE Academic Skills (Reading , Writing , Math) and PLT Principles of Learning and Teaching **
SLLA School Leaders Licensure Assessment Exam Workshop (School Principal certification)
PRAXIS Core Academic Skills Exam Workshop (Reading , Writing , Math)
PRAXIS PLT Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam Workshop
Saturday, October 6, 2018, We will be holding a workshop for the PRAXIS SLLA Educational Leadership Exam, PRAXIS Core Academic Skills Exam (Reading , Writing , Math), and the PRAXIS PLT Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam. Our workshop location will be in Baton Rouge (at LSU)
➜ If you currently hold a Master's Degree in Education – The alternative path (2) allows you to add Educational Leadership certification through completion of documented leadership experiences as well as having a passing score on the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA).
We will have on-site registration - please email or call if you are interested in joining us so that I can guarantee your spot in the class.
Our workshop provides an in-depth review of all the content, standards, constructed-response, and performance modules that are currently targeted on the PRAXIS certification exam.
As you know, space in the workshop fills up quickly – we will have on-site registration - Please email or call to join us. Please specify which session you would like to attend.
Baton Rouge, LA Area Exam Workshop
Louisiana State University
Allen Hall - Room 100
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
PRAXIS SLLA School Leaders Licensure Assessment Exam Workshop: Sat, Oct. 6: 8:00 am-11:00 am
PRAXIS PLT Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam Workshop: Sat, Oct. 6: 3:00 pm-6:00 pm
Workshop cost: $ 100
PRAXIS Core Academic Skills Exam Workshop (Reading , Writing , Math): Sat, Oct. 6: 11:00 am-3:00pm
PRAXIS Elementary Education Exam Workshop: Sat, Oct. 6: 11:00 am-3:00pm
Workshop cost: $ 125
SUPERVISOR OF STEAM - THERESE ELLENDER, Ed.D.
Attached you will find the St. Landry Parish Science Fair documents needed for you and your students. All students going to the Science Parish and Regional Fairs should be familiar with and agree to abide by these regulations. State Fair information will be released to the winners. Please copy Toni Breaux on all correspondence. The following files are attached:
· Science Fair Letter
· Declaration of Intent: Due-- Friday, September 7th
· Rules and Regulations
· Items NOT Allowed
· Entry Form—Junior Division (Make sure you print out the proper form)
· Entry Form—Senior Division (Make sure you print out the proper form)
· Research Plan
· IRB PPT
· Abstract Form (There is a version on the ISEF site that allows you to type in all of the information. You can find it through the "DOCUMENTS" links on the page. Make sure to use the 22 category version!)
· Directions for Starting a New Project
· Most Common Reasons for Disqualifications
· Science Fair Scoring Sheet/Judges Rubric ---updated by Katelyn Gaspard)
· Science Fair Important Information
Other Important Links:
· Documents: http://region6ull.blogspot.com/
· Rules Wizard: https://apps2.societyforscience.org/wizard/index.asp
· Letter of Intent—Friday, September 7th
· School Fairs completed by---Friday, November 9th
· Paperwork for entries to the St. Landry Parish Science Fair---Friday, November 27th
· Parish Fair---Wednesday, December 12th 5:00 p.m. at Northwest High
· Regional Fair—Saturday, February 16th (Lafayette, LA)
· State Fair (Junior Division---March 18th-19th (Baton Rouge, LA)
· State Fair (Senior Division---March 19th-20th (Baton Rouge, LA)
Social Studies Fair
Attached you will find the St. Landry Parish Social Studies Fair documents needed for you and your students. All students going to the Social Studies Parish and Regional Fairs should be familiar with and agree to abide by these regulations. State Fair information will be released to the winners. Please copy Brandi Meche on all correspondence. The following files are attached:
· Social Studies Fair Letter
· Declaration of Intent: Due-- Friday, September 7th
· Purpose of Social Studies Fairs
· Rules and Regulations (the Parish Fair will follow the Regional Rules attached)
· Guidelines for Projects (the Parish Fair will follow the State Guidelines attached)
· Judging Criteria
· Region IV Social Studies Fair Information
· General Regulations for Teachers and Students
· Social Studies Disciplines
· State Fair Check Off List (Please use to assist students with Parish Fair)
· Letter of Intent—Friday, September 7th
· School Fairs completed by---Friday, November 2nd (unless given special permission to complete later)
· Paperwork for entries to the St. Landry Parish Social Studies Fair---Friday, November 16th
· Parish Fair---Wednesday, December 5th 5:00 p.m. at Northwest High
· Regional Fair—Saturday, January 19th (Lafayette, LA)
· State Fair---Friday, February 23rd (Lake Charles, LA)
Reminder: Quest for Success Course
● develop essential 21st century workforce skills - the ability to communicate, collaborate, and lead;
● explore new and exciting careers and industry sectors; and
● learn about themselves and their interests to successfully navigate high school, postsecondary education, and career pathways. The course will eventually replace the current Journey to Careers course, and was written by leading educators from across the state as part of the Louisiana Educator Voice Fellowship, a partnership between the Department and America Achieves, a national non-profit organization. This fall, the course will be piloted by teachers who received Quest for Success training at Jump Start Super Summer Institute. Any school system interested in administering this course during the 2019-2020 school year should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Reminder: QSM Grant Application Period Opens
QSM Grant link application is below.
Supervisor of Instruction, School Choice, & School Improvement - Trina Preston
School Improvement Plans were due Tuesday, September 4, 2018, and should have been uploaded into your school’s Title I folder. If your school is not Title I, please email your plan to me. I emailed a SIP Guidance Document in July in order to assist you and your team with formulating your plan.
· The following documents are due by Friday, September 14, 2018:
· School Improvement Team Member Roster (please scan and upload to your school’s Title I compliance folder)
· School Improvement Team Meeting Calendar (via email to me)
If you are unsure whether or not a student needs to take a placement test, please do not hesitate to contact me. The placement test letter and application can be found on the district website homepage or by going to this link:
TITLE I PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR PAT MASON-GUILLORY
Louisiana Students of the Year Program
An organizational meeting for the 2018-2019 Students of the Year is Wednesday, September 12, 2018.
The meeting will be held in the Resource Center at 9:30 A.M. Each eligible school at grade levels 5th, 8th & 12th is required to have a Faculty Representative attend this meeting. If you haven't submitted the name for your School’s Faculty Representative to me, please do so.
SLPSB Veteran Employee Recognition Day
In honor of Veterans Day, St. Landry Parish School Board in Partnership with LHC Group
will recognize former and present employees who have served in the United States Armed Forces.
Veteran Employee Recognition Day will be held Thursday, November 8, 2018 at the Opelousas Civic Center.
The program will begin at 5:00 P.M.
© The Veteran Employee Form MUST be completed.
© Forms can be downloaded from the School Board website: www.slp.k12.la.us
© Forms MUST be submitted to Pat Mason-Guillory no later than October 26, 2018.
© Show your Pride – Wear your Service Uniform, if possible!!!!!
© Family members and friends are welcome to attend.
“We defend and we build a way of life,
Not for America alone…but for all mankind.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt