May 21st, 2018 Pony News
On the Side of Hope!
Every Kid needs a Champion
Rita Pierson, a teacher for 40 years, once heard a colleague say, "They don't pay me to like the kids." Her response: "Kids don't learn from people they don't like.'" She began a rousing call to educators to believe in their students and actually connect with them on a real, human, personal level.
I have shared Rita Pierson's message with you several times. But I can't help myself from wanting to share it again. Remember that for some of our Ponie,s school is their safe place. As we get closer to the last day of school, "Don't count the days, make the days count!"
Continue engaging your students with relevant, rigorous and engaging learning opportunities. Take the time to reinforce the relationships that you've established with your students. Talk about college and careers. Incorporate movement, dance, and songs. Allow for cooperative learning where students can share with each other, be creative, innovative and have fun.
Continue working with your students academically at risk in small groups. We still have 13 school days to make a difference.
PLCS - Pinks and Blues
Pinks and Blues will be printed Monday, May 21st, at 3:30pm. We realize that the testing window is open until May 25th, so please input the assessment data that you have completed before that time. (Special programs and Teacher comments/FOG information can be completed on all students regardless of testing completed.)
Links to grade-level folders:
5th grade (we will talk about graduation an the lock in for the students)
Questions? Concerns? Just ask a Coach! :)
A Minute with the LASes
3rd - 5th Grade Teachers
- We will have EOY LPACs on May 24th and May 29th. Below is the schedule for this week's meeting.
- Please make sure that the 2017-2018 Linguistic Accommodations Journal Form for each of your LEP students is updated in AWARE by Wednesday, May 23rd. If you have any questions or need assistance, please let us know!
Career Day is this Friday!! We are so excited to have over 50 guests in our school sharing their expertise in careers and financial literacy! We are trying to keep our presenters as stable as possible and move students (for set up purposes as well as trying to keep the students from having to sit for too long!). Students in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grade will not leave the room for specials but our AMAZING specials teachers will come and relieve you so you can have your conference period. A huge thank you to the specials team for being so flexible and cooperative with the schedule change!! You will be provided with a schedule of where to go and what to do as the event gets closer, but please remind your students the importance of showing our best Pony behavior with our guests. We are looking forward to a great time!!
No Excuses University College Days
From May 21st through June 1st, we want to invite you to have No Excuses University College Days. During these days, take some time to continue learning with your students about the university that you represent. Remind them of their class year. For example, our 5th graders will be graduating high school Class of 2025 and graduating college class of 2029... Wow!
Think of ways you can make these days engaging. Examples:
- Decorate your doors and the hallways.
- Invite people to speak about their universities!
- Team up with other teachers and surprise your students.
- Each day that the whole class is present, add a letter to spell 'College'. The class could be rewarded when 'College' is spelled.
- Create a college video to be shown during the announcements.
- Complete a mock college application. Prepare students about what is expected when they get to high school and begin the actual process of preparing for college.
- Have your class apply to the next grade level.
- This is a power point about six different ways to pay for college. I created it in response to hearing my fifth graders say that college was too expensive. Suitable for grades 5 and up. (from NoExcuse Connect)
- The students choose two universities to research and then complete a double bubble thinking map, similar to a Venn Diagram, in order to compare and contrast them. The universities can be given by the teacher or the students can choose their own. One university can be red, the other blue and any similarities between the two will be put inside a purple circle, to show they're alike. The students can add illustrations to their work for visual appeal and for a bulletin board display.
- College Brochure assignment.
ARE YOU ON MY REMIND?
Monday, May 21th
NEU Rally 3rd-5th grades 2:20-2:45pm
Book Fair - Buy one, Get one
College/U shirt Day
ITF, Math ACT
Tuesday, May 22nd
- PLC Sessions: Pinks & Blues, Class Rosters and EOY Review
- Book Fair - Buy one, Get one
- Science ACT
Wednesday, May 23rd
- W.W. (Wacky Wednesday - Disney Characters/Theme
- 2nd gr. EOY Math CBA
- Learning Leaders mtg. / Principals’ mtg.
- Book Fair - Buy one, Get one
- LA ACT
- 3:30 GT - Depth & Complexity Usages Part 2
Thursday, May 24th
- 2nd gr. EOY Math CBA
- STEM Night 6 - 7:30 PM
- Multilingual Coordinator
- EOY LPAC 3rd, 4th and 5th grades
- Volunteer Appreciation Brunch 9:00 AM
- Last day of Pony time K - 2nd grades
- Last day of tutoring K - 2nd grades (Please inform your parents.)
Friday, May 25th
- LVES Career Day
- Assessments DUE: K-5 DRA/EDL and K-5 WTW/PASP
- Staff Luncheon- 1st gr. / Inst. Specialists host - Don't forget to order your sandwich.
- Last day for mentors to be on campus
- LVES Spirit Day
- All library books due
- All Leveled Library books due
- Last day of Pony Time 3rd to 5th- May 11th
- Last day of Pony Time K to 2nd - May 24th
- Last day of tutoring 3rd to 5th - May 10th
- Last day of tutoring K to 2nd - May 24th
- Next PLC sessions on May 22nd - We will create rosters for next year using Pinks and Blues.
EOY Staff Party
- May 31st - Location: Valley Creek Church - Next Step Center
- May 25th - Due Date for the return of all books to the Leveled Library
- Note: You may certainly return books earlier than May 25th. :-)
- EOY LPAC 3rd, & 4th May 24th
- EOY LPAC 4th & 5th May 29th
- 1st @ 8:00
June 5th AWARDS
- 3rd @ 8:15
- 2nd @ 9:00
- 4th @ 1:30
- Kindergarten @ 8:00
Staff Shout Outs
- Samia Rutherford for the engaging STAAR review station activities for 3rd grade.
- Araceli Hernandez for being a great partner and continuous mentor.
- Emily Satterla for the yummy kindness treats these past several weeks!
- Thank you Coach W for organizing the Family Saturday Fitness day. It was a success.
- Thank you to Ms. Kitchen, Mr. Colon, Ms. Norton, Ms. Oporto, Ms. Rowland and Ms. Lopez for coming and support the Family Saturday Fitness day.
- Thank you Mr. Thomas for getting our students ready for the choir competition.
- Thank you to Mrs. O'Donnell, Mrs. McGraw and Ms. Mullikin for coming to the Kinder transition night.
- Thank you to Ms. Arocha, Ms. Butler, Ms. Rodriguez, Coach W, Ms. Rowland, Ms. Rutherford, Ms. Oden, Ms. Sanchez and Ms. Anguita for staying late to represent our school in the interview committee.
- Thank you to Ms. Simpson and Ms. Lawson for leading the STAAR test organization.
- Thank you to Ms. Burleson for all of her support with behaviors and supporting our parents.
Click here to submit your Shout Out.