OTSEGO LOCAL SCHOOLS
Superintendent's Weekly Update - April 30, 2021
The Tim Downey Memorial Track meet is tonight! If you cannot make it out tonight the live stream link can be found HERE
Mattress Sale Reminder - The sale is tomorrow in the HS Commons. Flyer below.
2nd Vaccine Clinic - Thursday, May 6th in the High School Gym from 3 to 8 pm. Make sure you come and get your second dose on Thursday.
Food Service Balances - As mentioned last week, every student will receive a free lunch and breakfast next year. A couple of parents have donated their lunch account balances to the Knights Have Your Back program. If you would like to transfer your child's lunch balance to this wonderful program please email me giving us permission to move your account balance to the Knights Have Your Back program. firstname.lastname@example.org We really appreciate the support of our students.
Knights Have Your Back - When our Otsego children leave school for the weekend, the last thing they should have to worry about is how they are going to get their next meal. Knights Have Your Back was created to provide the Otsego children in need with non-perishable food to take home over the weekends. The food is placed discreetly in each child's backpack every Friday in order to ensure that no Knight ever goes hungry. This program has grown dramatically since its development in 2017. Any questions please contact Jessica Vollmar at email@example.com
Graduation Parade - We are going to have a Senior Parade again this year. We will have the same route as last here. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ROUTE AND ADDITIONAL DETAILS. The parade is set for Saturday, May 22nd starting at 6 pm. Hope you can join the route and help us celebrate the Class of 2021!
Food Pick up for ONLINE STUDENTS ONLY: Monday, May 3rd
Food pick-up is Monday, May 3rd from 4-5 pm in the back of the high school near the football stadium. Please make sure you come to pick up the food if you signed up.
Food Service Reminder - Breakfast and Lunches are FREE all year for ALL students. Even if your child packs every day have them try our lunches. We are ok with that. It would be a great opportunity for them to try out our food service program.
Wood County Health Department Talking Points
- Through a new Vaccine on Demand pilot program, Wood County residents will have the opportunity to schedule COVID-19 vaccines at any location in Wood County.
- Scheduling for Vaccine on Demand appointments opened on Friday, April 23.
- This is similar to a program for vaccinating individuals who are homebound, but it is being expanded to any Wood County resident.
- Additional information on this pilot program and a link for scheduling is available at www.WoodCountyHealth.org or by calling 419-823-9512.
- After more studies and research the CDC is recommending a lift to the pause in the use of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. The pause was out of an abundance of caution.
- The Wood County Health Department will follow suit with Ohio Department of Health guidelines. Opportunities to receive Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be announced at the end of the week.
- People who have received the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine within the past three weeks who develop severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath should seek medical care right away.
- No impact on the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines: These vaccines use a different technology and there have been no similar concerns with these vaccines.
- Wood County Health Department clinics this week are offering Pfizer vaccines.
- Vaccine adverse events may be reported through the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). VAERS, managed by the CDC and FDA, is part of the larger vaccine safety system in the U.S. that helps make sure vaccines are safe.
- Walk-in COVID-19 vaccine clinics are held every Monday from noon-6 p.m. at Wood County Health Department.
- First and second vaccine doses (Pfizer) are offered at these clinics. Second doses of Pfizer vaccines are given three weeks after the first dose.
- Appointment times may be assigned on arrival as needed for social distancing.
Treasurer's Corner - Steve Carroll
Our Per Pupil Expenses are lower than all but one county school. We have worked very hard to keep our costs low while providing an excellent education to our students. Our spending has been focused on creating the best educational environment possible for all kids. This current year we should see a reduction in total expenses due to multiple cost-saving undertakings centered around knowing what the year would like during the pandemic. We also have received money from the various COVID Relief bills that we have been using to offset some unexpected costs.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out.
Knight In Shining Armor Nominations
Knight In Shining Armor Nominations
Please use the following form to inform OHS Student Council about a family in need within the school district. While the family does not need to have students in the district, we do ask that they are a member of the Otsego Community. Please use this form to share information about their current situation as well as how they can best be assisted.
Please be sure to understand that while Knight in Shining Armor (KISA) would love to help all community members in need, we are still a new program, and may not have the funds to do so. With that being said, we will consider each request on a case by case basis. Filling this form out does not guarantee that we will be able to assist the family, but we will try our hardest to do so!
These funds are not for routine expenses such as utilities, bills, rent, etc. It is designed for assisting community members in an emergency situation. This can include but is not limited to unforeseen medical expenses, medical-related travel expenses, and household emergencies such as a fire, water leaks, etc. Please keep this in mind when submitting a nomination.
Please refer to this link at any point during the year as a need arises, and KISA will do their best to help out!
Otsego Food Pantry
The Otsego Food Pantry is always willing to help those in need. This service is by appointment only. Please call, text, or email to schedule.
Otsego Food Pantry
c/o Lisa Hatfield
PO Box 261
17700 Beaver Street
Grand Rapids, OH 43522
Housed in the Grand Rapids First Presbyterian Church – Supported by our Community!
Athletic Department Mattress Sale - May 1st
7th and 8th Grade Volleyball Camp
Otsego JH volleyball camp will be held on June 2nd & 3rd from 1:00-4:00 in the high school gym. The camp will consist of an “All Skills” type camp on both days. Athletes will take part in breaking down skills to the fundamental level. They will have the opportunity to use these fundamentals and techniques in drills to mimic game situations. Players will also learn strategic and mechanical movement patterns that make up the game of volleyball. We are lucky enough to have a Division I volleyball player come and instruct our camp! She is our very own, alumni, Maddi Nell! Maddi is currently the sophomore setter for the Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne (IPFW) volleyball team. She is bringing Haley Riter with her to instruct the athletes in a small group setting. Haley is a coach at Premier Academy and has multiple years of playing and coaching experience! I am so excited for our JH girls to have this opportunity to learn from these amazing athletes! This is for incoming 7th and 8th graders for the 2021-22 school year.
Registration and money due by May 21st
Friday, April 30
4:!5 - JH TR @ Elmwood Inv.
4:30 - HS TR (H) Tim Downey Memorial Invitational
4:45 - JV BB @ Elmwood
4:45 - V BB (H) Elmwood
4:45 - V SB (H) Elmwood
Saturday, May 1
11:00 - V BB (H) Liberty Center
Monday, May 3
4:30 - JH TR (H) Lake
5:00 - JV BB (H) Lake
4:45 - V SB @ Lake
4:45 - V BB @ Lake
Tuesday, May 4
4:30 - HS TR @ Lake w/ Woodmore
5:00 - V SB @ Archbold
5:00 - V BB (H) Swanton
Wednesday, May 5
4:30 - JH TR @ Genoa
4:45 - V SB @ Eastwood
4:45 - V BB @ Eastwood
4:45 - JV BB (H) Eastwood
Thursday, May 6
4:45 - (H) Woodmore
Friday, May 7
4:30 - HS TR @ Findlay Invitational
4:45 - V SB (H) Fostoria
4:45 - V BB (H) Fostoria