Term 3 Week 3 - 8th August 2022
We are back in full swing here at school. The kids and teachers are busy doing lots of great learning while enjoying the production rehearsals, gymnastics and cross-country. Our students continue to show our school values of Respect for Ourselves and Respect for Others by encouraging each other and doing their best.
During this first half of the term, our school-wide topic focus has been China. The students have been digging into the culture, geography and history. Later this term we will be having our Country Study Meal where everyone will get the chance to cook and eat food from China.
Thank you to all the parents that came to parent interviews. Most teachers were fully booked and have reported back to say that parent feedback and feed-forward were very positive. If you missed out on an interview, teachers are available for you to contact them and set up a time.
There was quite a bit of discussion about attendance and the effects of COVID at parent interviews. Throughout this year Kokopu School has had one of the best attendance rates in Whangarei with an average attendance of about 83%. We put this down to parents’ efforts to keep kids home when they are sick so they don’t spread COVID or the flu. We appreciate this greatly.
It has been exciting for our year 8’s with most of our local high schools visiting room 6 in the last few weeks. I was very proud to see Alexis King as a year 9 ambassador for WGHS. She was a leader here and it is fantastic to see that continue. It is early in the year but we encourage parents and students to make their choices as soon as they can, so that they get the choices in subjects that they want. Enrolling late in the year can mean that students miss out on the classes they want.
Lamby Day Care
Being a rural school we love celebrating being country kids. What better way to do that than to bring your ag day lamb or goat to school. Day-care has been a real highlight for the kids again with many students (and teacher) spending their break time watching the very cute and playful animals.
Cross Country Training and Dates
The children have started their cross country training. Please send a change of clothing every day and a towel. If they want to run in shoes, make sure they are old ones you don't mind getting muddy. No gumboots please!
Te Horo Cross Country will be held this Friday 12th August. Thanks to those families who have sent in permission. We still need parents to transport children to Pipiwai. We are also applying for funding for a bus. There is a change of venue this year. The course is opposite Te Horo School and there will be parking in the marae and church grounds. Children compete against other schools in our zone which are Matarau, Te Horo, Purua, Mangakahia and Motatau. Te Horo School hosts the event. We leave Kokopu at 9am for a 10am start and the events usually finish around 1pm, then there is a prize giving held at the school. If you leave the event during the course of the day, please let a staff member know. There will be food on sale at the event, see the flyer below. If you want to order a hangi it is $10, please see the order form below. It is advisable to take gumboots and a warm jacket. Kids will definitely get muddy, so a towel would be a good thing to take too. Please fill in the permission slip on our Skool Loop App or email permission in to email@example.com and indicate how many children you are able to transport please.
Kokopu Cross Country will be held at school on Tuesday 23rd August. Our start time will be 9.30am with the juniors. There will be a sausage sizzle. Parents are welcome to come along and support the children.
Learning at Home - Parent Help - Basic Facts
This week is National Maths Week and we also have a school wide focs on improving basic facts this year. So, If you want to help your child at home, there are some handy resources on our school website.
Basic facts are the foundation blocks that help students quickly and accurately work out more complex problem-solving. Basic facts are not just times tables but encompasses lots of different areas like half and doubles, unknown start like ___ 8 = 10. etc.
Practice makes perfect
Below is a great NZ based website that will give your child practice in the right areas.
Prototec - https://maths.prototec.co.nz/
The NZ maths system is organised into "Stages". Choose the relevant stage and get practicing.
Stage 2-3 = year 1-2
Stage 3-4 = Year 3-4
Stage 4-5 = Year 4-6
Stage 6 = Year 6-7
Stage 7-8 = Year 7-8
Voting Papers issued by - Wednesday 10 August 2022
Election Day (Voting closes) - 4pm Wednesday 7 September
Last day to accept postal votes - Monday 12 September 2022
Votes counted - Tuesday 13 September
Board takes office - Wednesday 14 September
Staff Election Results
Kokopu School Board Elections
Staff Election Results Declaration (no voting election required)
At the close of nominations, as there was only one valid nomination received, I hereby declare the following duly elected.
Kokopu School Ag Day
We will hold our annual Kokopu School Calf Club/Ag Day on Saturday 29th October term 4 here at school. We will have our lamb/goat day care open at school from Monday 1st August. Children are welcome to bring their animal to school so they can look after and feed it during the day.
If you know of anyone who has lambs available for children to raise, please contact the school office so we can put people in touch.
Chickens. This year children will be able to raise a chicken. It must be reared after the 1st July 2022. They will need to keep a photo story of the rearing of their chicken. They will be judged on their knowledge of rearing their chicken.
Fish Bin Gardens. Once again the children can grow a garden in a fish bin to bring along to school on Ag Day. There are two categories, edible and themed i.e. dinosaurs, fairies etc. It would pay to get your garden growing now.
Central Day - Thursday 3rd November at Barge Park.
- Year 7 & 8 Technology Training. Every Monday for term 3 and 4 our Year 7 and 8 students will be taking the bus into Manaia View School to do Technology Training. Please ensure they are at school before 9am when the bus leaves and also that they are wearing their Kokopu School Tee Shirt.
- Gymnastics Coaching. All children train on Fridays with Active Attitude to get ready for our gymnastics competition later in the term. Please send them in appropriate clothing for gymnastics.
- Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates. Term 1 03/02— 14/04 Term 2 02/05— 08/07 Term 3 25/07— 30/09 Term 4 17/10— 15/12
- Term 3 25/07 - 30/09
- 29 July - Gymnastic Coaching starts
- 8 August - Maths Week
- 12 August - Te Horo Cross Country Taniwha Challenge
- 23 August - Kokopu Cross Country
- 26 August - Daffodil Day
- 30 August - Country Study Meal (China)
- 31 August - WPSSA Cross Country
- 1 September - Mathex
- 6 September - Kokopu Speech Competition
- 7 September - Wig/Wacky hair day
- 9 September - Kokopu Gymnastics Competition
- 9 September - Mangakahia Country Meal - Kokopu School Hosting
- 21 September - Production Rehearsal at Clark Road Chapel
- 22 September - Production Matinee and Evening shows
- 28 September - Mangakahia Lions Speech Competition
- Term 4 17/10 to 15/12
- 29 October - Kokopu School Ag Day
- 3 November - Central Ag Day
School Policies and Procedures Schooldocs
Ruatangata Indoor Bowls
Whangarei Boys High School Visits
- Deans visits to Kokopu School: 29th July
- Y8 Open Evening: Thursday 4th August - from 4.30pm
- Y8 Interviews: Wednesday 17th and Thursday 18th August - (9am - 5pm)
- Y8 Catch Up Interview Day: Wednesday 26th October - (9am - 5pm)