Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School October 29, 2018
Spotlights and Reminders
- This week we are on an early release schedule (like regular early release Wednesdays) every day to accommodate Parent-Teacher Conferences: https://strand.coronadousd.net/calendar/event/8-parentteacher-conference-week-4. If your child is scheduled to attend Sibling Care or After Care, they will be allowed to attend Child Care early on these days (no cost is associated with early release days). Questions? Email email@example.com.
- This week’s theme is TEAMWORK, as we collaborate with you at conferences this week to best support your child's learning and success! We practice teamwork skills in PE, in classrooms through group problem solving and projects, in Specials, in our morning circles, and more! Extracurricular team activities (athletics, clubs, scouts, etc.) not only help your child practice working with others on shared goals, but they provide another supporting adult to who can give valuable feedback and encouragement to your child.
- Our APEX Fun Run was a smashing success due to the enthusiasm and endurance of our students, our supportive staff, the talented and inspiring APEX team, our PE coaches, Navy volunteers, Silver Strand PTO, and Voyager families and friends pledging funds to support our programs!! Thank you ALL!
- Halloween is on Wednesday and it is a SPIRIT DAY! Dress in Halloween-themed outfits or simple costumes. No makeup, masks, or props please!
Silver Strand Safety and Security Support from Karen Pierro
October Is Cyber Security Awareness Month - Part 2
To continue last week’s safety blurb, here are some further tips & suggestions to keep kids safe & secure online:
- Treat media as you would any other environment in your child's life. Know your children's friends, both online and off. Know what platforms, software, and apps your children are using, what sites they are visiting on the web, and what they are doing online.
- Create tech-free zones. Keep family mealtimes, other family and social gatherings, and children's bedrooms screen free. Recharge devices overnight—outside your child's bedroom to help him or her avoid the temptation to use them when they should be sleeping.
- Be careful your child doesn’t use technology as an emotional pacifier. Children need to be taught how to identify and handle strong emotions, come up with activities to manage boredom, or calm down through breathing, talking about ways to solve the problem, and finding other strategies for channeling emotions.
- Apps for kids – do YOUR homework. More than 80,000 apps are labeled as educational, but there is little research to demonstrate their actual quality. Help your kids find apps that access areas they need educational support in and then monitor as they use them.
- Remember: Kids will be kids. Kids will make mistakes using media. Try to handle errors with empathy and turn a mistake into a teachable moment. However, some indiscretions, such asbullying, or posting self-harm images, may be a red flag that hints at trouble ahead. If you are made aware of these actions, carefully monitor your child's behavior and, if needed, enlist supportive professional help.
It’s a BIG digital world! Be safe out there!
Student Council News
- Every Friday is a Voyager Spirit Day! Wear your Silver Strand or community team gear!
- Halloween (Wednesday, October 31) will be a Spirit Day at SSES. Students may wear seasonal tee shirts, socks, or accessories, or simple costumes to school on Halloween but NO MASKS, MAKEUP, or PROPS please. Students should be able to use the bathroom and participate in PE in their costumes.
- Friday, November 9 will be a red, white, and blue spirit day!
- Come to the PTO Craft Fair from 8-noon on Saturday, November 3 at SSES! Student Council will host a bake sale.
- Next PTO Meeting is Thursday, November 15 at 6:30 PM at SSES. This is an evening meeting and we hope to have great participation! Ms. Moore will host a Q&A with the Principal at the conclusion of PTO business.
Our Voyager Yearbook Needs Your Help!
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
THIS WEEK: PARENT CONFERENCE SCHEDULE/MINIMUM DAYS
MON 10/29 PM: Parent Conferences
TUES 10/30 PM: Parent Conferences
WED 10/31 SPIRIT DAY: Halloween outfits/simple costumes
Business Day in 5th Grade
PM: Parent Conferences
THUR 11/1 Student Council Meeting at Lunch
PM: Parent Conferences
Letters to Troops due tomorrow
FRI 11/2 8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly
“Captain Mama” Book Presentations in upper grades
PM: Parent Conferences
SAT 11/3 8 AM-noon: Strand PTO Craft Fair and Student Council Bake Sale
NEXT WEEK: NOVEMBER IS NATIONAL MILITARY FAMILY MONTH/Veteran’s Day Recognition
MON 11/5 1PM: All-School Assembly (“BASH” sponsored by Lamb’s Players)
6:30 PM: Restorative Practices Training Sponsored by SAFE
WED 11/7 8:30-9:30 AM at Village ES: Military Spouses' Meeting
FRI 11/9 8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly
SPIRIT DAY: Red, White and Blue
Veteran’s Day Family Recognition sponsored by PTO
4th Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch Day
NO SCHOOL MONDAY 11/12
ON THE HORIZON: November 19-23: Thanksgiving Break!
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/