Grizzly Family Update
November 23- November 27, 2020
Last week was bullying awareness and prevention week. Each day we focued on this topic, and students showed their desire to "take a stand" against bullying, by wearing pink shirts on Thursday. We also had a visit from Linda Malcolm from the Health Unit. It was wonderful to have her come to answer student questions and review our safety protocols. She was impressed with our school and our students. Keep up the good work! Our Grade 7/8 class has been competing in a "Kick, Pass, Punt" competition. They showed some impressive skill by beating out the competing schools in their division this week. Great Job!
- Please make sure a clean mask it worn each day. Cloth masks should be washed between uses.
- Inspect your child's mask to make sure that it still fits well. Some elastic ear straps have become stretched and may need to be adjusted.
- Please do not drop students off prior to the bell (9:55) in the morning, as no staff are outside to supervise prior to this time.
- Please discourage students from bringing toys from home.
Winter Weather is Coming
- Due to COVID and a lack of supply bus drivers, if your bus driver needs to be away your bus may be cancelled - if your bus does not show up, please check TRI-BOARD transportation to see if it has been cancelled. If it is, you will need to transport your child to and from school that day
- If all busses are cancelled due to inclement weather, school does remain open, teachers and staff report to work. If parents choose to drive their child to school, they must pick them up at 3:35. Usually we are able to combine classes during "snow days" - this year that will not be possible. Students will report to their own classroom for a regular school day. Work will be provided for students who choose to stay home.
- If busses are cancelled for more than one day consecutively, teachers will then work with students on their google classrooms
- Please check the LDSB website on inclement weather days - schools are rarely closed
- Please make sure your children are dressed for being outside - we still are going to try and get outside as much as possible, including during instructional time
This Week and Beyond
- Game of Zones challenge
- Student Census Grade 4-8 completed in class this week
- Please follow the directions provided in your child's progress report to complete the census at home
Tuesday, November 24, Day 1
Wednesday, November 25, Day 2
- Choices at 9 Webinar
Thursday, November 26, Day 3
Friday, November 27, Day 4
Lifetouch School Pictures - November 30th
Wreath/Planter Pick Up - November 30th
Parent Council Meeting - December 7th
Students are asked to complete the See Yourself In Limestone Student Survey this week.
- Families with students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 have received (via progress report packages) a letter and resource package to help them complete the survey with their student.
- Grade 4-8 students will complete the survey in class this week.
- The survey is confidential and completely voluntary; however, the data will only be as helpful as we have healthy participation rates.
- A family can request that their student not participate by letting their school administration or classroom teacher know. A student can also refuse to participate.
Lost and Found
Picture Day is coming on Nov. 30th
After Picture Day, order pictures on https://my.lifetouch.ca/ using your Portrait ID and Access Code which can be found on your Picture Day order form. Here is a video that explains some of the enhanced safety measures that LifeTouch is taking.
Attention Glenburnie Parents:
Please support our on-going gift card fundraiser that you are able to participate in on your own time, all year round.
Check out www.fundscrip.com and see all of the great gift cards that are offered. There are over 170 retailers from popular department stores to gas stations to restaurants and each month new promotions are offered. This fundraiser is great way to help our school raise money. Over the last year, with a very small number of families ordering we have raised over $500!
The only cost to you is the shipping. The gift cards can be shipped directly to you by lettermail for $1.04. This option is for up to 4 cards or up to a $500 value. The cards will be 2 to 7 business days in transit. They can also be sent Xpresspost (with no limits) at an increased cost.
Our school code is H4GP2Q.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact Jen Flake email@example.com
EarlyON offers free programs for parents and caregivers with children from birth to 6 years. Programs have moved to a pre-registration format where all participants are required to sign-up in advance and to answer additional screening quesions upon arrival. To register, go to www.keyon.ca. Click "Register" and follow the instructions.
EarlyON at Glenburnie P.S runs every Thursday from 9:30-12:00 and from 1:30-3:30.
Pick Up Nevada Tickets and Drop off Batteries at the same place
Revised COVID 19 Screening Tool
The Ontario Ministry of Health has again revised the COVID screening tool for children in school. The main change is regarding symptoms that are commonly associated with other illnesses, such as a runny nose or headache:
- students with only one of these symptoms (not including fever/cough) will be advised to stay home for 24 hours, after which they can return to school if their symptoms are improving
- students with two or more of these symptoms (or one symptom if it is fever or cough) will be advised to stay home until they are able to consult with a health care provider and receive an alternative diagnosis or a negative COVID-19 test
Please see the newly revised Screening tool for Children in School and Child Care (October 1, 2020).
Glenburnie Parent Council
Co-Chairs: Elizabeth Sund and Kristyne Ross
Treaurer: Jen Flake
Secretary: Sarah Purvis
Virtual School Rep: Kristyne Ross
If you have questions, ideas or would like information on how to join, please email them to:
You also can follow us on Facebook at:
or on Twitter at @GPScouncil
Our next parent council meeting will take place on December 7th at 6:30pm. The meeting will be virtual and we would love to see you there.
Bus Delays and Cancellations
Families should ensure they are signed up to receive direct notifications, either by email, or Tri-Board’s app. Delays and cancellations are also posted to Tri-Board’s Twitter account. Please have a back-up plan if your child's bus is cancelled!