UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS
THE CURFEW AND SPIRIT BELL
The Spirit Bell was brought to Denton from Michigan in 1891. It was used to signal class changes and evening curfew. In 1906, the 1,000-pound bell was moved from the Old Normal Building to the Auditorium Building because the ringing bell’s vibrations caused damage to the masonry of the Old Normal Building. Although the original spirit bell is retired, the tradition continues. Talons have two small bells and one large bell mounted on wheels. In Fall 2002, Talons alum Keith Schwartz donated a new spirit bell and mounted it onto the tug. These bells are rung to promote spirit at football games, pep rallies, and other school functions.
HOMECOMING BON FIRE
According to university archives, the first formal Homecoming bonfire took place on the Avenue A Street pavement in 1935 prior to the November 9th NT vs. East Texas State University football game. The Eagles scored a 30-6 victory over the Lions. Bonfire was cancelled again in fall 2003 and fall 2005 because of a burn ban in Denton county. In 2006 the bonfire returned, but in a smaller scale due to burn restrictions. Thanks Texas.
LIGHTING OF McCONNELL TOWER
When North Texas played SMU in fall 1974, North Texas lost 7-6. After the game, the administration doors were found painted red and blue. This eventually led to the idea of the current tower lights. Talons installed the spotlights on McConnell Tower on November 10, 1977. The Talons turn on the lights after all North Texas varsity team victories. After evening home football games, Talons lead the victory march from Fouts Field to the tower. Standing atop the Administration Building steps, the Talons lead the crowd in singing the alma mater and the UNT Fight Song. The lights are also turned on for special occasions.