September 16, 2016
NEWS & NOTES
PBS/SEL NOTES- PLAYGROUND RULES: At our PBS/SEL meeting this week, we discussed school wide rules for the playground. All agreed to continue with the current expectations of:
- Use equipment safely and appropriately
- Stay in approved areas
- Rocks and sticks stay on the ground
- Show good sportsmanship
To further clarify these expectations, we agreed to add the following for PreK-5th grade:
- slides- down only
- swings- sit on bottom, no pushing
- areas to avoid- ditch, sheds, courtyard, big tree by ditch
WORK ORDERS, FIELD TRIPS, & SUPPLY REQUESTS: All work order, field trip, and supply requests should now go to Elizabeth Tinoco in the office. Previously, everyone has submitted these requests to Teresa. Elizabeth looks forward to working with you all on these items.
MORNING HELPERS: A note from Barbara Springer....We have some students in the cafeteria in the mornings (between 7 & 7:30) who are eager to help teachers! We've been piloting a program of having them separate Social Studies Weekly newspapers and it has been going well.
Ideas for other jobs they could do: separating Scholastic Book order forms, setting up materials for a science lesson, sharpening pencils, organizing bookshelves, cleaning whiteboards, sorting art supplies, etc.
We're just figuring out how this will work best, but let's try this to start:
1) if you would like to have SS newspapers separated, please email Barbara to set it up (to be done in the cafeteria over several days)
2) if you would like to have some helpers in your classroom, just come by the cafeteria when you're ready and I will see if some of the regular helpers are available
3) if you would like to come see if there are certain students who you know and would like to ask them to be your helpers (even if they're not on my list) that's perfectly fine (please just let me know if you're taking some students with you from the cafeteria)
This is a work in progress, but I've been super impressed with the quality of work done by these students. If they can help you, just let me know.
SPEECH NEWS: A note from Holly Chen....Next week (9/19 - 9/23) is indirect week for speech services that means I won't be pulling students for services. Instead I will be
- doing documentation
- observing students in classrooms (please contact me with a preferred day/time!)
- contacting teachers/parents/private therapists with observations, progress, and concerns
- conducting evaluations (Ms. Crowe, Ms. Wagner)
- doing make-up therapy sessions (Ms. De La Cruz, Ms. Wagner, Mr. Moreno)
Please contact me if you have any concerns about the speech students. I don't always get to observe the students in the class over indirect week, so any feedback or update is much much appreciated! If you want/need strategies please let me know! If you have speech/language concerns for new students, please let your CST grade level contact know (PK/K- Maja, 1st/2nd- Sherry, 3rd- Celines, 4th- April, 5th- Jenny).
I plan to be on campus Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday over indirect week.
TARGET FIELD TRIP GRANTS: Caroline Moon, a Davis mom, came across this grant program from Target that gives up to $700 to teachers to take their kids on field trips! It's a super easy grant to fill out and she thought all of the teachers may want to know about it! Here is the link: https://targetfieldtripgrants.target.com/
PA SYSTEM: We have been having some issues with some classrooms not hearing the school bells and not hearing PA announcements. Teresa has been working to get these issues resolved, but we need to know which classrooms are still not hearing these. We are going to run a test to determine what areas of the school need to be addressed. On Tuesday morning, listen for the 7:30am bell and for a PA announcement at 7:40am. Email Elizabeth Tinoco by end of day Tuesday to let her know if you did or did not hear the bell or announcement.
iSTATION SUPPORT/ISIP REMINDER: Bo Shepard, our Multi Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) coach, will be on campus Wednesday, 9/28, to provide support to teachers regarding ISIP/iStation. The support will take place during teacher planning times, and attending is optional. She will be in the office conference room all day to help with the following:
- How to access and interpret classroom ISIP data
- How to access and choose lessons in iStation
- How to Progress Monitor
- Parent Portal
- eCST Goal Writing using ISIP data
The ISIP assessment window is currently open for 1st-5th grade. All students in these grade levels must complete this online reading assessment by Friday, 9/23.
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT SCHEDULES:
- 6:00-6:30pm: Essential Area Presentation- all parents; cafeteria
- 6:35-7:15pm: K- Gym then Cafeteria, 1st- Classrooms, 2nd- Cafeteria then Gym
- 7:20-8:00pm: K- Classrooms, 1st- Cafeteria then Gym, 2nd- Classrooms
- 6:00-6:30pm: Essential Area Presentation- all parents; cafeteria
- 6:35-7:15pm: 3rd- Gym then Cafeteria, 4th- Classrooms, 5th- Cafeteria then Gym
- 7:20-8:00pm: 3rd- Classrooms, 4th- Cafeteria then Gym, 5th- Classrooms
LOOKING AHEAD: 9/19-9/23
6-8pm: Back to School Night- K-2nd
Happy Birthday Donna Cardone!
- 7:30am- listen for bell
- 7:40am- listen for announcement
6-8pm: Back to School Night 3rd-5th
- Vision/Hearing Screening, Music Portable
- K PBL Planning (morning)
- 4th PBL Planning (afternoon)
- Jenny D out all day, Principal Meeting @ PAC
- 11am-1:30pm: Student Flu Vaccines
Vision/Hearing Screening, Art Portable
- ISIP BoY Deadline
- CIRCLE Assessment Window Opens
- 1:30-3:30pm: Jenny D out, meeting @ CAC
- Happy Birthday Adriana Villasenor!
Thanks to Dawn Ellis and Aimee Edwards for a great CATCH kickoff week!
Thanks to 3rd grade team and PreK team for providing extra support to their teammate during the leveling process!
Thanks to all teachers for the rich and reflective conversations during goal meetings this week!
Thanks to Maya Leibowitz for putting in a great deal of time and effort to transition from 3rd grade teacher to PreK teacher this week, and for the continuous positivity during this process!
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER
Monday, 9/26, 3:00-3:30pm: Flu Shots for Staff
Tuesday, 9/27, 8-8:45am: Kindergarten Seed Planting
Tuesday, 9/27, 3:10-4:00pm: Faculty Meeting, Snacks provided by Special Ed team: Agenda Items- Anaphylaxis/EpiPen Training, LPAC Training, eCST RBP Training, Tech Tips
Wednesday, 9/28: SSIS data entry deadline
Wednesday, 9/28: MTSS Support Visit- Bo Shepard; iStation data support
Saturday, 10/1, 9am-12pm: Campus Clean-up
Custodian, Food Service, and Crossing Guard Appreciation Week
Monday, 10/3: Fitnessgram Window Opens (3rd-5th)
Monday, 10/3: ISIP BoY Window Opens (K)
Tuesday, 10/4: Picture Day
Tuesday, 10/4, 3:10-4:00pm: CAC Meeting, Library
Monday, 10/10: Student Holiday- Parent/Teacher Conference Day; Lunch provided by PTA
Tuesday, 10/11: CIRCLE BoY Data Entry Deadline
Tuesday, 10/11, 9am: Fire, Severe Weather, Lockdown Drills
Thursday, 10/13: PPfT SLO Support Visit
Tuesday, 10/18, 3:10-4:10pm: Team Facilitator Meeting