Consultation & Collaboration
Learning Team D
Advantages and disadvantages of consultation and collaboration in the classroom
1. Large caseload to manage
2. Inadequate support and cooperation from classroom teachers
3. Inadequate time to plan, effectively teach, and communicate to target students
(Bos & Vaughn, 2006)
Building Respect and Rapport
- Learn as much as you can about your student's backgrounds. Learn things about them informally or in fun ways!
- Do not talk down to parents or students, treat them how you would like to be treated.
- Remember that parents are experts on their child.
- Respect the students families values and different cultures.
- Demonstrate respect for diverse languages.
Accept the family and the student as they are.
How can parents and nonprofessional staff members contribute to student success?
Activities that promote career and vocational awareness
The Paraprofessional's Role
Transition to another setting
Bos, C., & Vaughn, S. (2006). Strategies for teaching students with learning and behavior problems (6th ed.). : Pearson Education, Inc..