PLANO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
PSHS eNews: Where the Wildcat Nation Gets Its Information
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
- Friday, September 25th will be the last day to order a yearbook with FREE name stamping and four free icons printed on your cover. This price is also the lowest of the year, so order now by seeing Mrs. Malins in B208 with cash or checks or online at www.jostensyearbooks.com with credit or debit cards.
- SENIORS: the Deadline for Senior Ads will be here before you know it. Space is limited, so get those in by Friday, October 30th. A form can be found at http://k-12.pisd.edu/schools/pshs/Admin/forms/SeniorYB_AD.pdf or picked up in Mrs. Malins’ room, B208. Forms will also be mailed to your homes.
WILDCAT FOOTBALL TICKETS
GENERAL ADMISSION tickets are on sale for this Friday's game vs. Flower Mound at Neal E. Wilson Stadium ( https://goo.gl/TynUyy ). Tickets can be purchased in the Student Activity Office until FRIDAY, Sept. 25th at 11:00am. Student tickets are $4.00 and Adult tickets are $6.00. Game time is 7:30pm.
**DON'T FORGET!!** If you purchased Student Season Football tickets online, you may pick them up in the Finance Office, Bldg. B - before school, in between classes or during your lunch period. There are still many students who have not picked up their pre-paid tickets.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * FROM THE COUNSELOR * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
DESTINATION COLLEGE - THE PRINCETON REVIEW: GETTING IN
The Princeton Review: Getting In
6:30 - 8:30 p.m., TONIGHT, Sept. 22, 2015
Living Legends Conference Center
Spring Creek Campus, 2800 E. Spring Creek Pkwy., Plano
The Princeton Review's "Getting In" seminars reveal the secrets to being accepted to America's "finest colleges." What will get you into college and when should you prepare? How can you take control of the college search and not let it control you? How can you master the SAT and ACT? You've got questions, we've got answers. Please note: Seating is limited. While there is no fee to attend, registration is required. Please go to www.collin.edu/destinationcollege to register. For questions, please call 972.377.1772. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours upon registering, please call to ensure your reservation was received. Hurry ~ Spaces fill quickly!
The Redesigned PSAT is coming!
- Test will be given on Wednesday, October 14th during the school day
- Cost is $15
- Registration required through Parent Portal* or in the Counseling Office
- Registration ends Friday, September 25th
*PSAT Parent Portal On-line Registration Steps:
- Enter Parent Portal: (www.parentviewer.pisd.edu)
- Select: Student Registration
- Select: Student Name
- Select: Pay Now
- Select: PSAT
- Enter: card information for payment
**PLEASE NOTE: Pay Now has the PSAT date listed as October 15th in error. The test is WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 14th. We are working to get the date corrected and apologize for the confusion.
CONGRESSIONAL YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Representative Sam Johnson’s Congressional Youth Advisory Committee is taking applications for Juniors and Seniors.
To be a part of this committee students must return their completed application to Sam Johnson's District Office NO LATER THAN Wed., September 23th (date was extended). Click here for an application http://samjohnson.house.gov/uploadedfiles/2015_-_2016_cyac_application.pdf.
If chosen for the committee you will meet with Mr. Johnson and other civic leaders four times per year to learn about development of public policy and explore the roles of citizens, lawmakers, experts and institutions.
2015-16 HOUSE DISTRICT 67 STUDENT LEADERSHIP ADVISORY COUNCIL
- Opportunity for high school students within House District 67 to engage in the legislative process with Representative Leach and his staff and to obtain a hands-on education of the role and inner-workings of Texas state government.
- Application is available at http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/member-page/media/67/2015-2016-SLAC-Application.pdf
- Deadline: September 29, 2015
COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS
Who: Notre Dame, University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, Emory
When: October 5th at 7:00 pm
Where: St. Mark’s School of Texas, 10600 Preston Rd., Dallas, TX 75230
Reservation required at http://thenuuetour.org/
Who: Southwestern (Texas 1st University)
When: Sunday, October 4th at 2:00 pm
Where: Maggiano’s Plano
Reservation required at www.southwestern.edu/roadshow
Who: Johns Hopkins University
When: Saturday, October 17th at 3:00 pm
Where: Trinity Christian Academy, The Commons, 17001 Addison Rd., Addison, TX 75001
Reservation required at https://goo.gl/4zn83R
Who: Georgetown University
When: October 25th @ 2:00 pm
Where: St. Mark’s School of Texas, 10600 Preston Rd., Dallas, TX 75230
Reservation required at http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/visiting/your-area/us-cities
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ADMINISTRATIVE UPDATES * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PSHS VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Plano Senior High is looking for a few good volunteers! We have a couple of opportunities.
I. KEY COMMUNICATORS -- We need three parents to represent our school as members of the 2015-2016 Plano Independent School District Key Communicators group.
What Do Key Communicators Do?
- Attend three evening meetings with the superintendent or other key staff to learn about programs, issues, initiatives and accomplishments. This year’s dates are: Thursday, October 8; Wednesday, February 3; and the final date is Thursday, April 14, 2016.
- Share information from the meetings with other parents and school staff. Typically, this information is shared through the enews.
- Communicate district news and initiatives, which will vary from year to year, but could involve election information, Education Foundation programs, legislative issues and district planning.
- Receive occasional mailings from the district.
- Facilitate balanced and factual communications.
II. Serve on the SITE BASED IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE -- Each year this committee meets at Plano Senior High about three times to review the school's goals, check progress, and then see the results according to progress made on state assessments.
If you are interested in either commitment, please email email@example.com the following information:
- Group you're interested in serving on.
- Your Name.
- Email address.
- Phone number
- Student's name and grade level.
Thank you for considering these opportunities.
WANT TO LEARN ENGLISH?
*IMPORTANT* PISD STANDARD RESPONSE PROTOCOL
Parents: PLEASE READ the attachments from PISD safety and security about the Standard Response Protocol in case of an emergency. Thank you!
PLANO ISD INFOCENTER
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the "New User" button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an "already claimed by another user account" error message that means you've already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the "Return to login" link and login. Use the "Forgot your password" link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What's in InfoCenter?: Once you've created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you'd like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student's information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
~ ~ ~ PSHS...TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE ~ ~ ~
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: