Team Thomson News & Notes
Week of: August 19, 2019 #ThomsonRocks
Important Information for You!
Here We Go!
I am so looking forward to the start of this school year. I loved our beginning of the year activities and professional development and have been left with a renewed sense of understanding and excitement. Here's to an amazing year with an amazing team...One School, One Team, One Vision!
'Punch List'-Please Read:
The start of the school year is very, very busy with lots going on and things to do. Below is a list of extremely important items for you to do/know:
- Name Tags: All students must have a name tag on all day that includes at minimum first name and room number.
- Medical List for Your Classroom: On Monday morning, classroom teachers will need to review the list of students in your classroom that have medical needs/concerns. Please remember to share this information with the specials teachers only. Lunch monitors will need to review their lists once they arrive. Remember, this information is CONFIDENTIAL and should not be shared with anyone other than those working with the student directly. The MERT Team has already met with Megan Rule and reviewed the cases. Classroom teachers, please also identify the students to your lunch monitor.
- Bus Tags: Please check each child for a bus tag. Remember that there is to be only ONE tag in the pouch. Check that this is the case EVERY MORNING.
- Lunch Cards: Thanks to Michelle for laminating and cutting all the lunch cards. Remember, students getting school lunch or a milk will need their lunch card.
- Profiles & Field Trip Forms: Thank you for helping the secretaries by tracking the profiles and field trip forms! If you could please continue to do this through the week, it would be greatly appreciated. If it is a problem, just let us know before you turn anything in. We will collect Profile Forms and Field Trip forms each morning.
Arrival & Dismissal:
As many of you know, the first few weeks while things are getting worked out, we can expect delays in both arrival and dismissal with busing. Please be patient in the morning and we will be sure to make an announcement once all buses have arrived. At the end of the day, I have always appreciated your patience and help when the buses are delayed which has often been after the contractual time for you to leave. In the event that buses are not here and you need to leave right at that time, please let me know ahead of time so we can make arrangements for you kids. As always, thank you for all your help and patience!
Cardinal Code Lessons:
Please remember that this week is all about building relationships, establishing routines, and teaching, teaching, teaching behavior expectations via the Cardinal Code. I appreciate the diligence you all give to this. If students aren't 'getting it', it is most likely because they truly don't know, remember, or understand fully...please remember to reteach, not retell. There is nothing wrong with having kids practice something until they get it right, but why not make a game of it as opposed to getting upset or frustrated.
As in the past, the playground staff will be coming in early to go over playground and lunch procedures the first week of school. On the first day, classrooms with lunch A1 or B1 can expect their playground monitor to come to the classroom at approximately 10:30 a.m., classrooms with lunch A2 and B2 can expect their playground monitor to arrive at approximately 11:00 a.m. During this 30 minute time, both the teacher and the playground monitor should review basic lunch procedures and then go out to the playground to go over where they will line up (line and table colors are indicated on the specials schedule) and basics of playground equipment.
Please remember that you are responsible for inventorying and signing for all boxes/orders sent to your classroom. Once checked in, please send the signed packing slips directly to Shawn Hoover at the Cardinal Center/Admin Office.
Quotes Worth Reading
"Every child is a different kind of flower. All together they make this world a beautiful garden."
Think about how this relates to our theme for the year....
Be the ONE!
Celebrations & Announcements
Birthdays This Month & Week: Michael Romanik, August 17th; Janson Vannest, August 17th; Suzanne Binkley, August 21st; Megan Campbell, August 22nd; Jamie Beller, August 24th!
Happy, happy birthday to you all!
Welcome Heather Townsend! Talk about jumping right in! Heather will be joining us for her first day of work as an office monitor on our first day of school...please join me in welcoming Heather to our team!
Important Upcoming Dates:
Please be sure to check the Thomson Google Calendar. I will be getting events entered into this calendar this weekend...
Monday, August 19th-HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Friday, August 23rd-No School for Students & Staff...Office will be open.
Monday, August 26th-DIBELS Assessment Begins
Tuesday, August 27th-Crisis Team Meeting, 7:45 a.m.
Wednesday, August 28th-Fire Drill; DK/K Curriculum Meeting @ Thomson, 4-6 p.m.
Friday, August 30th-No School for Students & Staff...Office will be closed as well.
Monday, September 2nd-Labor Day-No School
Tuesday, September 3rd-NWEA Testing Begins
Wednesday, September 4th- Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Behavior Review, ALICE Review); ALICE Drill
Thursday, September 5th-General Admin Meeting (Natalie)
Friday, September 6th-Picture Day!