Third Grade Buzzzz...
Happenings in Mrs. Paluch's Class!
January 18, 2016
Reading STAR test on Tuesday
Math STAR test on Thursday
Happy New Year!
The kids learned about New Year Resolutions and wrote some of their own!
ELA- (English/Language Arts)
Unit 2 Module A
We will finish the chapter book, The Year of Miss Agnes this week.
Reading Essential Question: How do readers use evidence from texts to understand what they read?
Writing Essential Question: How do writers include character dialogue and actions to affect the events in a story?
Focus This Week:
- Learn how a character's actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- Understand that a central message is conveyed through key details.
Foundational Skills: Consonant Blends- sch, shr, thr. Ex., school, shrink, and throw
- Use descriptions to develop experiences. Students will think of who the narrator is going to be in their narrative and figure out their character's traits. They will learn to reveal their character through descriptions and dialogue.
- They will then use descriptions to show responses. I will show them how they can use figurative language such as a simile or a metaphor to describe the character's feelings, motivations or traits.
- Write an ending that provides closure.
- The correct usage of commas, periods, question marks and exclamation marks in dialogue.
Lessons this week:
- Tuesday we will spend some time reviewing all the multiplication properties and 2-step word problems.
- Wednesday we will take the Unit 3 assessment which is over multiplication/division fluency and application.
- Thursday we will be taking the STAR math test.
- Friday I will introduce and get us ready for our perimeter and area unit!
No Homework This Week!
But.... kids can go on Fact Dash, Planet Turtle or Front Row! They can access Fact Dash (through My Math Connected) and Planet Turtle with the K-5 Student resource link below. The link for Front Row is below too! They know how to log-on!
- Jan. 19- STAR Test- Reading
- Jan. 21- STAR Test- Math
- Jan. 22- Donuts with Dad 7:30-8:15. RSVP by Jan. 19
- Jan. 25-29- Great Kindness Week! See below for more info!
- Feb. 2- Take Your Teacher to Dinner Night! Fore! Family Fun 6:30
- Feb. 5- Box Tops Due
- Feb. 19- Fun Fair! 5:30-8:30 Sign-up to volunteer by Feb. 1
- Don't forget to send in any old/broken crayons. Home and School is collecting them for a Valentine's Day project!
Take Your Teacher to Dinner Night!
Tuesday, Feb. 2nd, 6:30pm
1505 Mitchell Drive
I have signed up for a class night out at Fore! Family Fun! The night is called “Take Your Teacher to Dinner”. On the night of the event everybody plays a round of mini golf and then sits down to dinner together. This night serves as a fun social night for the entire classroom and all of our families. In addition, Fore! Family Fun donates 50% of the mini golf fees on the night of the event back to our classroom in the form of a gift card to the Chalkboard. The gift card will be used to purchase school supplies that we need for our classroom.
The night is optional, of course, but it should be a great night of fun for the entire class. If you have any questions about the event please don’t hesitate to ask.
I will send out an email and sheet with more information and an RSVP.
I'm looking forward to playing some golf and eating pizza!
Great Kindness Challenge
The Great Kindness Challenge Spirit Week
January 25-29, 2016
Monday: Crazy for Kindness
Crazy Hair Day
Tuesday: Dream of Kindness:
Wednesday: Peace, Love, and Kindness:
Wear Hippie Attire
Thursday: Tied Together by Kindness:
Wear a Tie
Friday: Kindness is the Prairie Point Way:
Wear School Colors! (Maroon and Gold)