Pine View Middle School IB-MYP
Information for new students to PVMS for 2019-2020!
Parent Night Presentation
Updated Incoming Year 1 Class of 2026 Flyer
Class of 2026 Pep Rally is on our PVMS Facebook
Save the Date- All Paws In
Thursday, Aug. 1st, 9am
5334 Parkway Boulevard
Remind Code for the Class of 2026
2019-2020 Year 1 Course Selection Card
Year 1 Supply Lists for 2019-2020
The Year 1 Core Class Supply List is for the four "traditional" core classes: Individuals and Societies, Language Acquisition, Math and Science as well as the Encore Class of Arts, Design, Language Acquisition and Physical and Health Education (PE) classes. All Year 1 students will have PE, so feel free to buy any supplies for that class. The other classes depend on the individual schedule, so it might be better to wait until you get your schedule at our "All Paws In" event on August 1st to purchase those supplies.
Year 1 Summer Reading Book and Pacing Guide
An audio version is available as well ($24.49): https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Night-Gardener-Audiobook/B00R1W9MQ8
Remind Class Code: @SummerPVMS
This pacing guide is intended to facilitate your understanding of our first unit Facing Fear and the novel,The Night Gardener. It is highly suggested that you use this to guide your summer reading to stay on track.
You will be given a summative assessment on August 19th that will count as one of your first grades of the quarter. You will also be required complete a book project on The Night Gardener, due September 3rd. Details on the book project will be given the first week of school.
As you read each chapter, please complete the following:
· Spend at least twenty minutes/one chapter a day reading.
· Highlight unknown vocabulary and use the internet to determine the meaning. This can be applied to the guiding questions as well.
· Take margin notes to help with comprehension.
· Discuss with parent/guardian each set of guiding questions. Respond in writing to each of the questions. Using complete sentences and restating the question, answer each question using evidence from The Night Gardener to support your response.
Week 1 (June 10-14): Chapters 1 to 8
· What warnings did Molly and Kip receive in their travels?
· Describe Hester Kettle.
· Describe the welcome Molly and Kip got from the Windsor family.
· Why was there a fight between Kip and Alistair?
· Predict what might be significant about the key.
Week 2 (June 17-21): Chapters 9 to 16
· Predict who the night man might be.
· What did Kip believe about his parents? What questions remain about his parents?
· Describe the incident with Fig and Stubbs.
· What did Hester Kettle share about Master Windsor?
Week 3 (June 24-28): Chapters 17 to 25
· Describe the encounter with the night man.
· Explain what the tree is able to do.
· What was the significance of Alistair's sweets?
· Why does Constance have so many rings?
· What change did Penny identify in Molly, and why was that important?
Happy 4th of July! Enjoy the holiday!
(no pacing guide questions for this week)
Week 4 (July 8-12): Chapters 26 to 36
· Describe the experience with the night man.
· What did the children learn from Hester?
· What did Molly begin to question about the letters?
· Predict what Kip did when he used the key.
· Describe Doctor Crouch.
Week 5 (July 15 – 19): Chapters 36 to 44
· Summarize what happened the night of the trap.
· What kind of man did the doctor reveal himself to be when in crisis?
· Explain Hester's motives.
· Why did Kip and Molly decide to return? What would you have done in similar circumstances?
· Predict what will happen now that Fig and Stubbs have arrived.
Week 6 (22-26): Chapters 45 to 56
· How did Molly try to trick the unwelcome guests?
· How was Kip a hero?
· How was the Night Gardener ultimately destroyed?
· How were Molly and Kip's lives, as well as the lives of the Windsor family, about to begin again?
Be sure to have your summer pacing guide and answers to assist you on your first assessment and book project.
A PDF version of the pacing guide is attached below for easy download.
PVMS Dress Code
Pre-Order Panther Spirit Apparel: Class of 2026 spirit shirt and Pink Out shirt
Pasco County Breakfast and Lunch
Meal prices (as of 2/1/2019):
Free and reduced:
Free and reduced meal benefits are available for those who apply and meet eligibility requirements. The link to apply is here.
Reduced price breakfast: $0.30
Reduced price lunch: $ 0.40
PVMS Bell Schedules
Positive Behavior Intervention System at PVMS
Our students can earn rewards throughout the day by meeting our behavior expectations, PAWS (see below) and the IB Learner Profiles. These rewards are in the form of electronic points. They can redeem these points for privileges, tangible items (school store), access to events, and other similar things. Our expectation is that we will see overall behavior improve throughout the school and that the number of referrals we have will decrease.
Students have the App on their My Pasco Connect Dashboard already, students can access their dashboard or can download the PBIS Student App on their smart phones/devices to see their points and positive comments at any time.
PBIS Rewards has a Parent App that will give you some insight into how your child is doing with respect to our PBIS program. The Parent App will run on most smart devices, including smartphones and tablets. You can find it in the iPhone/iPad App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon App Store. Just search for “PBIS Rewards Parent.”
Once you have installed the app and located your student, you will be able to see your child’s progress with PBIS Rewards. You can add more than one student to the app, even if they go to different schools, as long as the school is using PBIS Rewards.
We encourage you to talk with your student about what they must do to be successful with PBIS Rewards and to encourage them when you see them being successful.
PVMS Administration Mrs. Warren, Mrs. Quina & Mrs. Maus
Beyond the Bell
Volunteer Opportunities at PVMS
Pine View Middle School greatly appreciates our volunteers! Get ahead of the curve and apply to be a volunteer for the 2019-2020 school year beginning on July 1st.
Per Florida State law, school volunteers must be background checked each year. Pasco County School’s year starts July 1 and runs through June 30. Volunteers who submit an application after July 1 will remain active in our system through June 30, and will NOT need to submit a new application until July 1, the next year. If you are new to Pasco County Schools or if your volunteer application has expired, please use the link below to complete your volunteer application.