The Land of Smiles
The Khorat Plateau is home to many towns including Nong Khai and Nakhon Ratchasima . During the rainy season its soil is often flooded, and during the dry season it goes into a drought.
Thailand is home to the largest river in Southeast Asia! It is nearly 2,700 miles long!
How to fit in
- When you visit Thailand you may notice that people greet each other with a prayer like gesture, they are just simply saying hello in their culture.
- In Thailand it is wrong to point you're feet at another person.
- Books are seen as important items, so don't slide them across a table or set them on the ground.
- It is important to remove shoes before entering another persons home.
More about their culture
This may seem like a common subculture today, but it originated from Thailand. The term Ladyboys refers to men that transform themselves into women, with the help of hormones and surgery. The reason this occurrence is more common in Thailand is because their religion, Buddhism, doesn't care what happens to the human body, they are more involved in the spiritual aspect of the situation.
- Thailand was under an absolute monarchy until 1932, then it was under a constitutional monarchy. Around the same time, Its original name was "Siam" but it was later changed to Thailand.
- This country is divided into four regions known as Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia. Many people live along the center region known as the "Central Thai".
Evidence of Cultural Diffusion
Early on Indian merchants carried the belief of Buddhism with them when they traveled. When they settled this idea began to spread throughout Asia, and they began adapting Hindu texts, priests, and building shrines.
Evidence of Culture change
"Khorat Plateau | Plateau, Thailand." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2015.
"Mekong River | River, Southeast Asia." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2015.
"World Fashion: Subcultures and Trends Across the Globe by Cecile Borkhataria, United Kingdom." Heliophon. N.p., 20 June 2014. Web. 23 Apr. 2015.
"Thai Culture – Ladyboys – Momondo." Inspiration. N.p., 14 Sept. 2013. Web. 23 Apr. 2015.
"Countries and Their Cultures." Culture of Thailand. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2015.
"The Spread of Hinduism in Southeast Asia and the Pacific." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2015.