News from the Nest
August 24, 2018
The Week Ahead
**Week of 8/27**
Tuesday 8/28 (Day 1)
- First Day of School, Grades 1-5
- Kindergarten Orientation:
- AM: A-L, 9-10 am
- AM: M-Z, 10-11 am
- PM: A-L, 1-2 pm
- PM: M-Z, 2-3 pm
Wednesday 8/29 (Day 2)
- First Day of Kindergarten
Thursday 8/30 (Day 3)
- NO SCHOOL - Labor Day Holiday
Teacher and Bus Assignments
Bus cards were sent home last week as well in the mail, indicating pick up and drop off times and bus numbers. If you haven't received one, please contact Transportation Services at 215-723-4613.
Kindergarten Family Meet-and-Mingle
Kindergarten students and their families are invited to a get-together outside of Vernfield (by the school bus tour) between the Kindergarten Orientation sessions on Tuesday, August 28. This is a great opportunity to meet and mingle with other students and parents in your child's class. There will be games for the kids and light snacks for everyone.
Date: Tuesday 8/28
Times: 9:30-10:30 am and 1:30-2:30 pm
We hope to see you there!
Pod Parents Needed!
If you are able to help, please sign up here for the 1.5 hour time slots (on 8/28-8/30)! We could still use more volunteers!
Any questions? Contact Steph Felton at email@example.com. Thank you!
Back to School Bash
PLEASE SIGN UP using this online google form by Tuesday, September 4! We need to know how much pizza to order!
If you have any questions, please contact Jen Scotti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spirit Wear Sale!
Are you ready to show your Vernfield Spirit? The Vernfield Spirit Wear sale is starting now. We are using an online store through our local vendor, Nyce Shirt Company. Tired of the same offerings year after year? This year we mixed it up with some new offerings. In addition to some of our mainstays, check out the boat tote, winter beanie, Ladies Scorecard tee (so adorable!), 18” doll tees, new tie-dye colors, and most exciting – Football Jerseys!
Check out all our Fall items, and then click and pay, all on the same secure website. Please don’t wait until the last minute. Because we know that many of you are anxious to get your hands on some Spirit Wear to start the school year, our online store will close September 11th! We want you to have your Spirit Wear ASAP.
Please allow 2-3 weeks after the sale closes for your purchase(s) to come home with your child. If you would like a paper version of our order form or have any questions, please contact Betsy Powlus at email@example.com or call 215-513-1084.
Book Fair Volunteers Needed
Mrs. Lightstone is in need of volunteers for the Book Fair (9/6-9/14). Please click on the link to the online page and sign up for a morning or afternoon. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Volunteering During the School Year - 'Hands Across the District'
At the beginning of each school year, Home & School asks that each parent fill out a 'Hands Across the District' form. This form lists the many ways in which parents can volunteer throughout the school year. This form includes homeroom socials! If you are interested at all or would like more information about a particular committee, please sign up! Signing up allows you to get emails regarding the committee/event, and there is no pressure to participate! A list of committees can be found on the Home & School website.
Paper Communications for 2018-2019
This year, we are working to reduce the amount of paper flyers that will be sent home. Whenever possible, information about activities, events, fundraisers and volunteer opportunities will be communicated through the weekly News from the Nest, posted on our H&S Facebook page, or sent in an email. We will also be using online sign-up forms.
If you prefer to receive paper communications, there will be paper copies available in the main office.
For those papers being sent home throughout the year, please look for all Vernfield and Home & School papers to come home on Tuesdays with your child's classroom communications. If you have any concerns, please contact Kelly Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Online Vernfield Calendar
Each online calendar app has slightly different instructions to link to a public calendar, but in general, you just open your calendar and add a new calendar using a URL (use the URL below). This is usually easier (or only possible by) using a computer rather than a phone app.
For a Google Calendar, look for a "+" symbol in the left menu above the list of "My Calendars". Choose to add the calendar from a URL and enter the URL below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kelly Cole at email@example.com.
Save the Date!
**Week of 9/3**
- Book Fair - 9/6 - 9/14
- NO SCHOOL - Labor Day Holiday
- Deadline to Sign Up for the Back to School Bash
- Back to School Bash, 5:30-7:30 pm. VF Playground
**Week of 9/10**
- Book Fair - 9/6 - 9/14
- NO SCHOOL - Rosh Hashanah
- Deadline for Spirit Wear Orders (online here)
- ESL Orientation, 6-6:30 pm
- Back to School Night
- Session 1: 6:30-7:10 pm
- Session 2: 7:20-8:00 pm
- Student Council, 8-8:30 am
- Back to School Bash Rain Date, 5:30-7:30 pm
- SASD Big Bash Community Event (see flyer), 10am - 2pm. SAHS
Volunteers can be grouped into two categories:
- Casual Volunteers (less than 10 hours per school year and works in the presence of a teacher/administrator with students).
- Program Volunteers (10 or more hours and may have unsupervised contact with students). This includes field trip chaperones.
Please review the details of each type of volunteer on the SASD Volunteer website and fill out the required forms. Program volunteers must also take a PPD skin test for tuberculosis (which can be done privately or by the school nurse). Please contact Mrs. Fox to make an appointment on 10/15, 10/16, or 10/17.
All volunteers must fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement and return it to the office. This must be done each school year. There are also copies available in the Vernfield office.
Please note, Program Volunteers are required to renew these clearances every 60 months. If you would like to check your clearance status, please contact the Vernfield main office, 215-721-0606.
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Giant A+ Rewards: earn money for VF while shopping at Giant! Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and Sign In or Register for an account (upper right corner). Click on My Account (upper right) and then Manage Your Account. Click on Rewards & Savings. Under A+ School Rewards, click Change School(s). The ID for Vernfield is 23581.
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Send them to school with your child to be collected and counted. There is a contest among grades each year and the winning grade earns a prize! Go to www.boxtopsforeducation.com/earn for a complete list of participating products as well as information on the Box Tops Bonus app and Sweepstakes which can earn Vernfield even more!
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://shopriteformyschool.com/ register.
Thanks to the families who participated in these programs during the 2017-2018 school year! We earned:
- Giant A+ Rewards: $1467
- Amazon Smile: $163
- Box Tops: $1199