5th Grade Falcons
News You Can Use for the Week of 05/03-05/07
NEW APPS!! Pages, Numbers, Keynote, & iMovie
Great technology news! The district has purchased each of these Apps for all elementary students. We need to make sure that all 4th & 5th graders have them readily available on their iPads.
Unfortunately, we are running into problems with the students not being able to “push” them down onto their iPads; there is not enough space to push down the ACADEMIC pieces that the district is asking us to use.
In an effort to get the students using all four of these applications, we need to make sure that all 5th graders have them readily available on their iPads. To support the technology use academically, we are requesting over the weekend to “clean” up your child’s iPad. It is a great time to sit down and review the games they have downloaded, and what Apps are really important. On Monday, ALL required Apps will be pushed down, therefore we will be removing games as needed to complete this initiative.
"Make It Mom's Day All Year Round"
"Make It Mom's Day All Year Round"
Weekly, we will send you a link from a parenting resource called, "Love and Logic". I believe you will appreciate the information as much as I have.
TWITTER has made its way to ICE!
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Finley - @finleys5thgrade
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Twitter handle - @5thicefalcons
Monday, May 4 - Friday, May 8 - Staff Appreciation Week
Tuesday, May 5 - ICE Multicultural Night, 5:30-6:30.
Tuesday, May 12 - STAAR Reading retake
Thursday, May 14 - General PTA Meeting
Friday, May 22 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day
Monday, May 25 - School Holiday
Tuesday, May 26 - Fifth Grade Field Trip
Thursday, June 4 - Fifth Grade Ceremony AND End of Year Class Party
Student Accountability Plan
- Study Hall (During the morning, from 7:50-8:20.)
- Lunch Bunch X 2 (They have two days to complete the missing assignment.)
- Encore (After school, from 3:00-4:00 - This is assigned if they do not finish their assignment after Study Hall and 2 days of Lunch Bunch.)
- Office Referral (This is assigned if they still have not completed the assignment.)
Please note, if a student fails to show for Lunch Bunch, they will be assigned to Encore the following Day. You will always be notified if your child has been assigned to Lunch Bunch or Encore. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact your child's teacher.
Please make sure you pick your child up in the front of the school at 3:30.
LISD Student Software Applications Resource for Parents and Students (Link Below)
This week in ELAR
Next week we will continue our focus on Expository text and comprehension skills as we read text about Sacagawea and Lewis and Clark. The students will make inferences and draw conclusions as they read. We will also continue creating poetry for a poetry project. The students are having a lot of fun with this and I just love reading their original poems!
Academic Vocabulary for the week: analyze, examine
Please continue to make sure your kiddo is doing their daily reading log and logging at least 20 minutes of reading a day and completing iStation on Wednesdays! I have really enjoyed reading their logs each week and seeing their thought process!
Wednesday--iStation on home computer or iPad
iStation Resource for Parents:
This week in Math
This coming week, your students will learn about...
- Manage financial resources effectively to ensure lifetime financial security.
- Making informed financial decisions is vital for financial security.
- Define income tax, payroll tax. sales tax, and property tax
- Explain the difference between gross income and net income
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of different methods of payment, including check, credit card, debit card, and electronic payments
- Develop a system for keeping and using financial records
- Describe actions that might be taken to balance a budget when expenses exceed income
- Balance a simple budget
HOMEWORK ALERT!!! They will have math homework daily! Some evenings they will have a paper and other nights they will be asked to access Khan Academy or Think Through Math.
The website for their math textbook is www.pearsonrealize.com. Their log-in is their last initial, first initial, ID number@lisd (example: va12345678@lisd). All student passwords are abcd1234.
Think Through Math, http://www.thinkthroughmath.com, is another online resource your children have accessed. I will be checking to make sure they work with this resource at home at least two times a week. Please encourage your child to access this great resource as well. They all have their usernames and passwords saved in their Evernote account.
This Week In Science
Below you will find a link that will assist you with making science connections with your children at home. It is called STEMscopepedia. Please ask your child to log in with their username and password in order to read this wonderful resource.
- The student is expected to identify the significance of the carbon dioxide-oxygen cycle to the survival of plants and animals.
- The student is expected to compare the structures and functions of different species that help them live and survive such as hooves on prairie animals or webbed feet in aquatic animals.
- The student is expected to differentiate between inherited traits of plants and animals such as spines on a cactus or shape of a beak and learned behaviors such as an animal learning tricks or a child riding a bicycle.
This Week in Social Studies
We will also continue to bring our knowledge from Language Arts and synthesize information, draw conclusions, summarize and make predictions as we learn about our history. Below are some resources we will use in the classroom, that your student can also access at home to further help with their understanding.
Social Studies Alive Online Curriculum
The students are able to access the social studies curriculum, Social Studies Alive, from their iPads (and should also have a shortcut saved to their home screen). Below is the information they will use to log-in.
User Name: last name, first initial
Password: ID # (numbers only)
teacher email: email@example.com
A Message from our Counselor
Indian Creek Elementary
All of our students enjoy thriving, productive lives in a future they create.
Students, staff, and community design and implement a learning organization that provides engaging, innovative experiences every day.