3rd Grade Awesome Readers!
Mrs. Andraska and Mrs. Langen
Making predictions about our read aloud 'Bunnicula'.
Brown Bag Biographies
Each student brought in five things that were important to them. They then shared with the reading group.
Independent Reading Time
All students have the expectation that they will read independently for 30 minutes during independent reading time. During that time, we confer with each student about their reading and individually work on strategies to support that particular child's reading.
Brown Bag Biographies
At-Home Reading Expectations
1. Read 20-30 minutes each night - including weekends. Raz-Kids counts toward this, too!
2. We would like at least 10 of those minutes to be read OUT-LOUD to an adult.
3. Adult initials or signature are expected on the reading log or for those in Mrs. McGuire's classroom, signing the planner calendar with book and minutes read would be fine.
What is a 'Good Fit' book?
How can you help your child determine a 'Good Fit' book at home?
1. When your child goes to read a text, have him or her use the 'Good Fit' method to explain why that specific text was chosen. Ask your child, "Is that a 'Good Fit' book for you? Show me how you know that." Here is what your child is looking for in a 'Good Fit' book - they need to be able to say the following:
1. I get most of the words right.
2. I can read with feeling.
3. I use the punctuation.
4. I understand what I read.
"5 Finger Rule" for words that I don't know on a page:
0-1 errors too easy
2-4 errors 'Good Fit'
5+ errors too hard
2. You can model the 'Good Fit' method for your child. Take a book that you are reading and go through the steps to set an example for what it looks like and sounds like to review a reading selection.
3. Help your child recognize when a text is too difficult. They have been taught to ask:
- Are there 5+ words on a page that I don't know?
- Is this book hard to comprehend?
- When I read this book, does it sound choppy and slow?
- adapted from www.thedailycafe.com
Mrs. Andraska/Mrs. Langen
Mrs. Ann Andraska email@example.com
Mrs. Sue Langen firstname.lastname@example.org