Academy of St. Benedict the African
February 12, 2023
Week of February 12, 2023
The video recap of this update is included above. It highlights the main points.
On Monday of this past week, we enjoyed a beautiful live performance titled Amazing Africa through Urban Gateways Touring Artists program. This interactive and lively presentation engaged all students and staff beautifully! Believe it or not, the entire staff danced, celebrating West African Culture.
This week we celebrate Valentine's Day. This is such a fun day for students. We are allowing all children to bring Valentine's cards for their classmates. They must bring enough for all their classmates. Candy is allowed with the cards, provided it's individually wrapped and doesn't contain nuts. Cookies and treats may be sent in, store-bought with the same no-nut rule. The last 30 minutes of the day will include the celebration.
There is no school on Friday due to a professional learning day for our faculty or on Monday the 20th in honor of Presidents Day. The building and offices are closed.
Great news! One of our many generous donors has offered to fund much of our playground! I am meeting with Big Shoulders and the playground company this week to learn more! I'll keep you posted. It's exciting!
Registration for the 2023-2024 school year continues. Over 100 children are registered, including some new students! Get those seats saved now! The early registration fee is now $50 ($100 is the regular rate). We will continue to offer the $25 Spirit Wear gift certificates until we run out. The fee must be paid to get the gift certificate.
There are class incentives, and I've added them below. For our current 7th graders, there is a special incentive. When the whole class is registered, we will order their Class of 2024 hoodies!
Empower Illinois and Big Shoulders SGO are starting to make awards for the 23-24 school year. Keep an eye on your email if you applied! We will begin sending out contracts for the upcoming school year in late March and April.
Also, if you refer a new family, you will receive a $300 tuition credit (credited $150 in Dec and May). We will fill up! Use this link: https://forms.gle/mGCqKp9M5YAgxhj48. It's also on the app! Our current third grade has 57% of its class re-registered!
Clubs & Games this week:
- Monday- Chess Club and Basketball practice
- Tuesday-Basketball practice, Fight Like a Girl (grades 4-8) register here, Spanish Club for K-3 3:15-4:00
- Wednesday - Basketball skills practice from 2:15-3:15, Dance
- Thursday - Cooking Club Grades K-3 3:15-4:00. (This session is full)
- Friday - NO SCHOOL - Professional Development Day for Faculty
- Saturday - Grade 5/6 Basketball Game @11:05 AM (Arrive by 10:45)
- Grade 7/8 Basketball Game @2:20 PM (arrive by 2:00)
Upcoming important Dates:
- February 16th - Liturgy for grades PK - 3 at 9 AM (parents are welcome)
- February 17th - No School - Professional Development Day for Faculty
- February 20th - No School - President's Day
- February 22nd - Graduation picture retake day
- February 23rd -Black History Program 10 AM. (please note, this is a date change)
- February 24th - African American Heritage Prayer Service - Holy Name Cathedral - All 8th Graders and our after-school Praise Dancers will attend. (praise dancers will attend practice on Thursday the 23rd from 4-6 at the cathedral) More information will be sent.
- February 27th - Parent Meeting to discuss Parent Association 5 pm - Library
Please keep sick children home. We have a shared commitment to the school community to keep everyone well. Physicals are needed if your child is entering K, 2, or 6 or will be playing Flag Football in the fall or basketball in 23-24. Make those appointments now and send the forms in asap!
On February 27th, the school will be hosting a meeting to discuss the creation of an Academy of St. Benedict the African Parent Association. Please join me at 5 PM in our school library. I'd love your input!
In the event of inclement weather, any shifts to e-learning or delays in the opening of the school day will be posted on both the school mobile app and Bloomz. We will also post on www.emergencyclosingcenter.com.
Let's make this week a great week for learning!
773-776-3316, enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
The Week in Pictures!
Officers Cleary and Schmitt gave our first graders in Mrs. Thornton's room their word detective badges. This is a very exciting event for our scholars!
Productive Play in Pk and K
Our littlest learners spend part of their day in productive play, creating knowledge and building social skills! This pk scholar figured out how to put the blocks together to make the gears move the propeller.
As mentioned above, this program was dynamic!
Productive Play in Pk and K
Special Registration Incentive Through February 10th
Class of 2024 Incentive!
Class Incentive to Register!
Our current third graders are in the lead at 57%
Join Us for This Wonderful Celebration!
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Water and Masks
We still need masks.
As a reminder, all PAWS must be completed by May 15th
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
Please contact me if you have concerns.
Family Handbook - Addendums have been added
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 101 at the recording. The late pickup fee is $ 3 per minute per child. Please don't be late.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- February 17th - No School, NO childcare - PD Day
- February 20th - No School - Presidents' Day
- February 23rd - Black History Celebration Program 10 AM
- February 24th - 8th Grade and Extended Dance to Archdiocesan African American Heritage Prayer Service at Holy Name Cathedral - 9 AM
- February 24th - Spirit Day for grades PK - 7 (those attending service must be in regular uniform)
- February 27th - Meeting to discuss a school Parent Association - 5 PM - School Library.
- March 3rd - Parent-Teacher Conferences 8 AM - 5 PM. Remote learning day with onsite childcare available - registration form: https://forms.gle/t2gGzz9h8e7AX3kB6